Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SpyderCodes no longer available for new downloads

SpyderCodes is the oldest and most downloaded Spyder specific app.
    BRP apparently decided that SpyderCodes won't be available in their shiny new screen in their 2018 models.

SpyderCodes has been removed from availability in iOS and Android format.
    Sorry, but I have been scrambling over the past several years getting codes and info in a back door sort of way from BRP and no longer can continue this.
    The app must be able to be made current if it is to be useful. An out of date app is no good to anyone and BRP's unwillingness to support this free app has finally caused it's demise.
    This decision only affects new downloads and not the current installed base.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for all you've done over the years to develop and keep this app going. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default GREAT App

Thanks so much for this application... so sorry to hear that BRP is not supportive.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As a new Spyder owner this is not the kind of support that will make me a long term customer. In fact, based upon the (lack of) product reliability I have seen to date on this forum and others I will not consider buying another BRP product.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking care of us over the years. Came in handy more than once.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We appreciate all you do.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all you have done!!

Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERCODES

Roger thank you for this great app. Those of us that have it have appreciated your hard work.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Codes on Facebook

Very pale comparison to your Spyder Codes, but we do have all of the codes for referencing in 1 Spyder World on Facebook. And they can be referenced with a smart phone.
    I am hoping that BRP will come to their senses and support your awesome app.

Here is the link if any are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1spyderworld/

Spyder Garage

Roger,thanks so much for all of the work you put into Spydercodes, while working on your Volkswagens. Sadly, it makes perfect sense to me that BRP would find a way to (again) cut you out. It must be frustrating for BRP to have owners showing up at dealers and saying "I just got code C0040 or C0063", and that we know what those codes mean. Typical BRP BS. An informed customer base confronting a big Corporation is scary for them. I tend to be one of the loud ones when it comes to holding BRP's feet to the fire.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Another sad situation. Sorry to hear that Roger.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kudos to Roger for all he has done.

But lets be careful about how much we bash BRP. There just might be some good engineering reason to no longer show the codes. I could be wrong but the Spyder is the only vehicle I know of that displays error codes in plain language on a dash screen. Some cars, if not most, will let you see the codes but you have to go through three or four steps to get the codes to show, and then you have to count flashes of the idiot light or something of the sort. Maybe that will be what we see on the new cluster. On the other hand code readers that plug into the OBC connector on cars are readily available.

Maybe someone will come up with a code reader that plugs into the diagnostic connector. All the emissions related codes on the Spyder are the same as in cars so it shouldn't be an insurmountable task to accomplish.

And keep in mind, BRP is not alone in not disclosing codes other than legally required emissions related codes. It's my understanding many cars have proprietary codes that can be read only by authorized diagnostic equipment.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all you have done

Spyder Garage

I add my thanks, Roger. Have used on two occasions for my Spyder and it really helped me explain the situation to the dealers. Oh, on the reliability front, neither code display was the result of something going wrong inside the Spyder; both were human error induced, one mine and the other a gasoline supplier.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Really...😲

Roger...even an out of date app such as yours will be a great help to many. Sad to hear and see as you have helped so many with your hard work and dedication to the spyder world. As long as my RS (BRP dropped it too) and your app works for me....I am good to go.'s for all you have done.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the hard work... but I'm confused.....

So the old version of Spydercodes works fine, but a new one will not?

Or are you saying you can't get a hold of the newest codes and implement them?

So shouldn't a person with an older model (2016 and prior?) be able to use the old program?

You state "BRP apparently decided that SpyderCodes won't be available in their shiny new screen in their 2018 models."

What does this mean? That BRP isn't displaying the codes? Or are you saying they contacted Apple and won't allow your software to be available?

Will the current app run under iOS 11 ?

Can you please clarify all this?

Thanks again! Your app has been very handy.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Thanks for the hard work... but I'm confused.....

Or are you saying you can't get a hold of the newest codes and implement them?
    This one, I think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    This one, I think.
    I think the same, Rincon. He says that SpyderCodes won't be available in BRP's shiny new 2018 screens, and my interpretation is that because he can no longer keep the codes up to date for the new models, he doesn't want to leave the product out there for purchase. But I could be totally wrong..... SURELY NOT . We'll just have to wait for SpyderCodes (the Forum member, not the application) to respond.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I think the same, Rincon. He says that SpyderCodes won't be available in BRP's shiny new 2018 screens, and my interpretation is that because he can no longer keep the codes up to date for the new models, he doesn't want to leave the product out there for purchase. But I could be totally wrong..... SURELY NOT . We'll just have to wait for SpyderCodes (the Forum member, not the application) to respond.

Pete
    "SpyderCodes won't be available in BRP's shiny new 2018 screens".

This is the part that confuses me.

I highly doubt BRP is removing the capability to display fault codes.. a feature that has been on all their products for a very long time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    "SpyderCodes won't be available in BRP's shiny new 2018 screens".

This is the part that confuses me.

I highly doubt BRP is removing the capability to display fault codes.. a feature that has been on all their products for a very long time.

Why would you doubt that? Having to use a plug in code fault code reader is the industry standard now-a-days. Having the ability to display fault codes is "old school" and rarely done anymore.

For example. The EU just cracked the whip on BMW because they used a proprietary code reader and access port. The new BMW motorcycles now use a standard EBDII port, but still use a proprietary software. I know this anecdote is not a direct correlation, but is illustrative of how far manufacturers will go to keep you coming back to the dealer for what could be a minor issue you could easily solve for yourself if you had some basic knowledge.

And, before I conclude my post, a big thank you to SpyderCodes for the time and energy! It is much appreciated!
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

to add to the confusion
    I have a '17.
    Is the app available to me?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Just a word of warning for iPhone users.
    If you do a backup and then restore you will not get back the Spyder Codes APP.
    Apple removed this ability for iTunes to restore APPs you backed up that are no longer on the APP Store.

So be aware of that!

I have backed up the APP so it can be side loaded later. You have to be jail broken to do that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI, I am going to pull the list of codes from the APP and convert it to a document for prosperity.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I too am confused as to what Roger is trying to tell us is the problem.

He says SpyderCodes will not be included in the new 2018 dashboard.

Sorry but SpyderCodes has never been included on ANY BRP product nor any user generated application. Its a walled garden and only BRP code is allowed in. No different from any other OEM vehicle manufacture. Car, truck or bike.

He did not say that diagnostic codes will not be available to owners and I find it ridiculous that BRP would take that away from all owners without providing some other method for retrieval.

True they are not available for display on most cars but ALL cars have an industry standard OBDII port you can attach a code reader to and obtain them.

I really hope Roger comes back and explains his comment a little better. As currently is sounds like he asked BRP for access to the display interface and they told him no, so he took down all the smartphone apps. I really hope this is not the case.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I too am confused as to what Roger is trying to tell us is the problem.

He says SpyderCodes will not be included in the new 2018 dashboard.

Sorry but SpyderCodes has never been included on ANY BRP product nor any user generated application. Its a walled garden and only BRP code is allowed in. No different from any other OEM vehicle manufacture. Car, truck or bike.

He did not say that diagnostic codes will not be available to owners and I find it ridiculous that BRP would take that away from all owners without providing some other method for retrieval.

True they are not available for display on most cars but ALL cars have an industry standard OBDII port you can attach a code reader to and obtain them.

I really hope Roger comes back and explains his comment a little better. As currently is sounds like he asked BRP for access to the display interface and they told him no, so he took down all the smartphone apps. I really hope this is not the case.
    Yeah.. there's no way BRP was going to allow any such thing on the new screens.
    I don't see any connection between that and still having the app out there on iTunes.

And even if BRP did get rid of pulling codes on the new models, the app would still be handy for all previous spyders to look codes up, along with the other features he nicely implemented. We know there are over 100,000 Spyders out there that can pull codes up. If the app is going away for good then I guess we'll have to come up with a database.. maybe an excel spreadsheet we can post a link to out here.

I also wouldn't think BRP would have the power to have the app pulled from the app store.

I also notice the app I'm using is now called 'My Spyder 2' instead of 'Spydercodes'. Anyone know what's up with that?