Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't have a TV in my house... nor would I watch football on it if I did. Momma always said fooseball is the devil...

This entire thing is stupid. Never understood why the anthem is played before stupid events where grown men get paid millions to play children's games anyway. As if it's somehow respectful to play it to a whole group of fans, most of them drinking beer and eating nachos. If anything, playing it this often and at such idiotic events takes away from it being a respected and dignified thing.
    Someone has an anger issue, you make it sound like a religion or cult.

Spyder Garage

There's only one sport that I watch, the UFC, and they don't play the National Anthem there.

I'm probably the only person here who watches it.

I just remembered. My first statement is not true. I love to watch women's beach volleyball.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It only makes sense when viewed as big business entertainment. The entertainers give fans what they want. Just don't call it patriotic to go to see a show where they play (or sing usually) the national anthem.
    Exactly.
    It has meaning and is special when done at inaugurations and other government events... but sports? what a joke. The exception I see would be the Olympics.. makes perfect sense as they're representing our entire country.

Momma always said Foosball was the devil.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default National NFL Protest Day

NFL BOYCOTT SUNDAY NOV 12

They can protest....but so can we.

"People are now calling for a complete National Boycott of the NFL for Sunday November 12th, which is Veterans Day Weekend. They are calling for a Boycott of all football telecast, all fans, all ticket holders, stay away from attending any games, let them play to empty stadiums. Pass this post along to all your friends and family. Honor our military, some of whom come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin..There are plenty of ways, times and places to protest concerning one's chosen cause, but to do so during a brief special time set aside to honor our nation's flag and the bravery and lives of our nation's military heroes, is inappropriate and disrespectful. Of course black lives matter, but so do the precious lives of millions of US soldiers (of all races) who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend and protect our nation's rights and freedoms....and who most certainly deserve all of our respect. It's not about Trump, its about all those who bravely and unselfishly serve and who have served our nation. The Star Spangled Banner is presented to honor all of them."
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    NFL BOYCOTT SUNDAY NOV 12

They can protest....but so can we.

"People are now calling for a complete National Boycott of the NFL for Sunday November 12th, which is Veterans Day Weekend. They are calling for a Boycott of all football telecast, all fans, all ticket holders, stay away from attending any games, let them play to empty stadiums. Pass this post along to all your friends and family. Honor our military, some of whom come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin..There are plenty of ways, times and places to protest concerning one's chosen cause, but to do so during a brief special time set aside to honor our nation's flag and the bravery and lives of our nation's military heroes, is inappropriate and disrespectful. Of course black lives matter, but so do the precious lives of millions of US soldiers (of all races) who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend and protect our nation's rights and freedoms....and who most certainly deserve all of our respect. It's not about Trump, its about all those who bravely and unselfishly serve and who have served our nation. The Star Spangled Banner is presented to honor all of them."
    Sure seems like this is a political post........

Guess I'll break my general rule of not watching sports and make sure to tune in that weekend.

Did you boycott Ted Nugent, Sarah Palin or Kid Rock for wearing the flag as clothing?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I had hoped this thread had finally died, but it's like a cat and seems to have at least four or five lives left.

A lot of folks have expressed outrage at the players who have had the audacity to exercise their constitutional right of free speech.
    You misunderstand. I support their right to exercise free speech. But I exercise my right to criticize them for what they say. Also, within the context of a private business, the owners can censor their employees. The right to Free Speech can't be curtailed by the government. It does not extend to Private enterprises. Even on a forum, which is privately held, the owners can censor whatever they wish and it's lawful.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    NFL BOYCOTT SUNDAY NOV 12 They can protest....but so can we.
    Go for it. Me, I'd rather get my knickers in a knot over something else.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Firefly,

Re: and make sure to tune in that weekend.

As will I.

Football is the only sport I watch on TV. Saw two games this weekend; usually get in three. C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: the owners can censor whatever they wish and it's lawful.

I rather doubt that. In another forum, someone posted about the player's union allowing them their free speech rights.

Earlier today I read where ( apparently ) Jerry Jones, who owns the Cowboys, said he will fire any player who takes a knee. This after he took a knee last week.

Does even one person on here think he will actually fire a player for taking a knee?

Reminds me of the old saying about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    You misunderstand. I support their right to exercise free speech. But I exercise my right to criticize them for what they say. Also, within the context of a private business, the owners can censor their employees. The right to Free Speech can't be curtailed by the government. It does not extend to Private enterprises. Even on a forum, which is privately held, the owners can censor whatever they wish and it's lawful.
    That's fine. Criticize them, boycott them, whatever floats your boat. Just don't confuse this with patriotism, honoring veterans or defending the flag or any other such nonsense. Any more than the 'Mormon' musical has anything to do with freedom of religion.

It's entertainment; think and say what you wish about it. That's one of our freedoms - to spend our money and time in whatever pursuit we choose. It has nothing to do with free speech or patriotism.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    There's only one sport that I watch, the UFC, and they don't play the National Anthem there.

I'm probably the only person here who watches it.

I just remembered. My first statement is not true. I love to watch women's beach volleyball.
    You mean MMA where the Spinning Backkick to the head Knocks the guy OUT!!! MMA made boxing obsolete ? IMHO

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I still say people getting millions to play a game where people pay- One way or another - Have No business protesting!
    By ALL means Do it on your own dime and proper function? And I bet most of the Knee Taking athletes are TOO selfish to use their own time to Protest!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like Colin Kaepernick does a little more than most give him credit for: http://www.motherjones.com/crime-jus...epernick-does/
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Hi Sarge707,

Re: One way or another - Have No business protesting!

Do you not support the First Amendment? Actually, it is what you are doing with your post.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Sarge707,

Re: One way or another - Have No business protesting!

Do you not support the First Amendment? Actually, it is what you are doing with your post.

Jerry Baumchen
    I support the First Amendment- Not when your getting Millions to Play a Game- How about every Wall Street Executive Taking a Knee to their Boss- How LONG would they Last doing that?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: the owners can censor whatever they wish and it's lawful.

I rather doubt that.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    The First Amendment puts constraints on Congress and no one else. It also means Congress is not allowed to pass any law explicitly allowing a private employer to restrict freedom of speech. In the absence of a law prohibiting employers, and forum owners, from restricting speech, employers and forum owners are free to act on their own as they wish.

The NFL is free to prohibit any type of protest, and a forum owner is free to prohibit any given type of posts, but Congress may not grant them that permission. Is Congress free to pass a law prohibiting employers from restricting speech in the workplace? Probably not. When it comes to free speech, as I see it, the First Amendment puts the kibosh on Congress passing any kind of law dealing with it. But what is speech? That has been debated in Congress and the courts for years. Is a pharmaceutical company free to print blatant lies about a medication on the pill container and the drug information sheets? Nope. The whole issue is a quagmire.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post

I understand full well the limitations that an employer can place on speech on company time.

What I was referencing were the folks who said they were basically uneducated, spoiled and not truly committed to the cause they were protesting against.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

That's it.
    From now on I'll be watching the Legends Football League.

https://www.youtube.com/mylfl
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    That's it.
    From now on I'll be watching the Legends Football League.

https://www.youtube.com/mylfl
    watch pro wrestling, they support our country and our troops and when they spew a bunch of crap we know they are full of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    watch pro wrestling, they support our country and our troops and when they spew a bunch of crap we know they are full of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I support the First Amendment- Not when your getting Millions to Play a Game- How about every Wall Street Executive Taking a Knee to their Boss- How LONG would they Last doing that?
    So your right to free speech ends because you make a lot of money doing something you are skilled at and maybe you also got lucky?

You really need to take a civics 101 class.

-----------

i hope the entire Dallas Cowboys team takes a knee and tells Jerry Jones to take a flying leap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So your right to free speech ends because you make a lot of money doing something you are skilled at and maybe you also got lucky?

You really need to take a civics 101 class.

-----------

i hope the entire Dallas Cowboys team takes a knee and tells Jerry Jones to take a flying leap.
    Its Obvious This Forum is AS divided on this as the Country so I will exit Stage Right before it gets worse?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for all who laid out their piece. Just remember this quote from a famous person.

"Tell me where you've been and I will tell you who you are"

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Thank you for all who laid out their piece. Just remember this quote from a famous person.

There are quotes similar to that; but, that one doesn't show.

It sounds close to: "Tell Me What you Did Today, And I'll Tell You Who You Are"
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-10-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Is this somehow relevant to the conversation? I don't get it.
    2014 RTL Platinum