Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Honestly, Wyliec, I am not trying to be provocative. When I first got active on this forum I did say some pretty provocative things, but lately I've tried to be conciliatory.

Anyway, I guess by 'massive' I meant the 'shock and awe' of the invasion of Iraq on the pretext of WMDs. Wasn't exactly subtle...
    If you like movies, check out American Made. I'm sure you are probably aware it's about gov't involvement.

Spyder Garage

I now have a very low opinion of NFL players. All a bunch of spoiled ingrates. But their are some exceptions. Tom Brady most notably. His greatness always stands above the rest.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/20...rotests_t.html
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I now have a very low opinion of NFL players. All a bunch of spoiled ingrates. But their are some exceptions. Tom Brady most notably. His greatness always stands above the rest. http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/20...rotests_t.html
    So, some millionaire players are okay, some aren't. The billionaire owners don't care either way, as long as they can keep the fans buying tickets, watching TV sports channels and buying overpriced paraphernalia. The more controversy the better. Like some famous movie star of the past once said 'there ain't no bad publicity' when it comes to engaging celebrity fans. You're nuts if you think any of the business people making money off you care about your opinion of sports teams and players, as long as you have one.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-06-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I they want to Protest Be Men or Woman and do it on their "Own Time" at Public town Halls or Protest Rallies NOT when they are being paid Millions and are on a Stage where everyone watching is ALSO paying to view in One respect or another.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had hoped this thread had finally died, but it's like a cat and seems to have at least four or five lives left.

A lot of folks have expressed outrage at the players who have had the audacity to exercise their constitutional right of free speech. Some say it's disrespectful to the flag or to the military or to the country as a whole. Some say they should protest in some other manner, that it's wrong to use their access to large crowds or to TV broadcasts to show any kind of message to the public. Some even believe they should be subservient and be docile or silent to any wrongs in this country. Many are unwilling to admit that what they are doing has even a modicum of merit.

I say they are carrying on a great tradition in this nation. They are doing something that every American, especially those who have served in the military, should recognize as one of the most important things that can be done. They are taking an active role in the politics of this great nation. They are honoring the sacrifices of all military servicemen from the beginning of this nation's founding. Many of you will not see it as so.

THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT THOUSANDS OF VETERANS FOUGHT AND DIED FOR!

They are taking an action that is granted to every American by the Constitution of the United States of America. That is what every serviceman and every servicewoman has taken an oath to uphold and defend. By doing so, they are showing that those who have given their life in battle did not do so in vain!

Nowhere is it written that you have to agree with, like, participate or even watch. But you should at least acknowledge that this is one of the reasons that our military has fought in our long list of wars. To preserve the freedoms granted to us by our government through the Constitution.

Like it or not, the President has chosen to make this a point of contention between himself and the players who have decided to protest the treatment of people of color by some police officers.

This is the same person who got five deferments during the Viet Nam war. This is the same person who said he "felt like he was in the military" because he was sent to a military themed school to correct his behavior. This is the same person who said he "got more training, militarily, than a lot of the guys that go into the military" from that prep school. This is the same person that said about Sen. John McCain, "He was not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured.". This is the same person who attacked the parents of a true patriot who gave his life trying to save his fellow soldiers. This is the same person who gave State secrets to Russian diplomats in the White House. This is the same person who said that some of the white supremacists who marched and waived Swastikas in Charlottesville were good people. This is the same person who has openly questioned our commitment to our NATO allies. This is the same person who exhibits a strange fascination with Vladimir Putin. This is the same person who doubts our intelligence community's assessment of Russian interference in our 2016 election. This is the same person who now wants to decertify the Iran nuclear deal, thereby eliminating our oversight of their nuclear program and possibly allowing them to go the way of North Korea.

This is Donald J. Trump. The president of this country.

Now who do you think is patriotic?
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 10-07-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added comment a
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I might be totally lost here, but I missed the part that determined that kneeling was a disrespect for the flag/anthem. Talking and or screwing around during the Anthem is what I call disrespect. I could buy that they were kneeling for the fallen veterans. BUT if they meant it to be disrespectful, then my next thought is why are we getting upset when IMO it might take 3 of them to get an IQ of a rock. We get to vote with our feet and not attend the games, and the dude writing the checks could stop writing them. Not much difference with all of the *******s that threaten to leave the country if so n so is elected, sadly, they never do.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default BoilerAnimal

I agree with everything you said; but, you may have touched a nerve or two for those that adore the CIC , and they will be letting Lamont know. Rest assured, I am not one of them.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-07-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi BoilerAnimal,

Re: I had hoped this thread had . . . . . who do you think is patriotic?

^^^^^ Perfect. I agree completely.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default The Flag and The Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    But do you put down your beer and nachos and stand at attention when they play it on TV at home?
    You're free pretty much to do what you want at home, that's not a public venue. Protest and demonstrate all you want. At least I've not paid to watch a homeowner demonstrate or protest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    You're free pretty much to do what you want at home, that's not a public venue. Protest and demonstrate all you want. At least I've not paid to watch a homeowner demonstrate or protest.
    You are paying for entertainment, like it or not. It stopped being 'sports' a long time ago.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-08-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I have never heard or seen that the flag represents a negative to someone who believes in the country.
    Yes, we have a past which includes events we should not be proud of-but events we have learned from.

The "negatives" listed by the OP seem more to be his personal issues with our society.
    I find connecting them to what our flag represents to be offensive and disgusting.
    On this issue I cannot see both sides being right.
    You love this country warts and all. You work to repair what might be broken.
    You do not desecrate the flag in the process of making your position known.
    I have no respect for those who perform their theatrics at the expense of honoring the flag.

Were the kneelers sincere about what they purport to believe in, they would be active in making the changes they say are needed rather than merely posing for the media.

A final comment, this is a forum about Spyders.
    Is this type of topic really good for all of us?
    After reading some posts in this thread and others, I find I no longer want to hear what some members have to say about anything.

Lamont has or at one time had a "NO POLITICS" rule on Spyder Lovers. This site of for the discussion of SPYDERS and Spyder related conversations. You want to lower this site's quality, post politics!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Lamont has or at one time had a "NO POLITICS" rule on Spyder Lovers. This site of for the discussion of SPYDERS and Spyder related conversations. You want to lower this site's quality, post politics!
    It's a touchy subject but it isn't necessarily political.

Merriam-Webster defines it thus; 1 :the activities, actions, and policies that are used to gain and hold power in a government or to influence a government. 2 :a person's opinions about the management of government.

I don't see anything in the thread having to do with one group trying to gain power over government or expressing a strong opinion about government.

Do you?

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I had hoped this thread had finally died, but it's like a cat and seems to have at least four or five lives left.
    Agree 100%... but we're in the minority out here on SL... so this will probably get yanked. Right leaning things are much more tolerated.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Hope you're doing well Dudley.....

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i agree, no more posting who died, no more posting about mass shootings, no more posting about someones hip surgery. oh no more
    posting about what gun you bought or such stuff. this site is for spyders & bike related things only i don't want to know about hurricanes,
    tornadoes or floods either i will start watching the news for that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did anyone else have their television stations NOT televise the playing of The National Anthem?
    I thought that I didn't see it on Thursday: it was definitely missing yesterday.
    Do you think that decision was made so the folks wouldn't change the channel, if they saw the players take a knee?
    Or was it done to take the voice away from the protest?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am from Canada. Totally think its disrespectful to kneel or sit during the National Anthem. Not a time to protest anything. I attended a NHL game last week and during both the American and Canadian Anthem - everyone I saw stood proud and tall. If that ever changes I won't be going to a game.
    Last edited by LA2015FS; 10-09-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did anyone else have their television stations NOT televise the playing of The National Anthem? I thought that I didn't see it on Thursday: it was definitely missing yesterday. Do you think that decision was made so the folks wouldn't change the channel, if they saw the players take a knee? Or was it done to take the voice away from the protest?
    I think it was calculated to defuse the situation. It's a business; they will do what is necessary to maximize revenue and profits.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i agree, no more posting who died, no more posting about mass shootings, no more posting about someones hip surgery. oh no more
    posting about what gun you bought or such stuff. this site is for spyders & bike related things only i don't want to know about hurricanes,
    tornadoes or floods either i will start watching the news for that.
    That's why Lamont created the OFF TOPIC BOARD. It's where all topics not spyder related are to go. I do agree that all those topics you mentioned should not be on any of the actual Spyder forums here on spyderlovers.

Actually the OFF TOPIC BOARD was created for a previous member called $tuntman because of all his off topic posts. His screen name actually begins with an 's', but you cannot use an 's'; I think it had something to do with $tuntman's complaint that all his posts were to be removed.

Here it is in Lamont's own words:
    New Off Topic Board- Read before posting here!
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-09-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    That's why Lamont created the OFF TOPIC BOARD. It's where all topics not spyder related are to go. I do agree that all those topics you mentioned should not be on any of the actual Spyder forums here on spyderlovers.

Actually the OFF TOPIC BOARD was created for a previous member called $tuntman because of all his off topic posts. His screen name actually begins with an 's', but you cannot use an 's'; I think it had something to do with $tuntman's complaint that all his posts were to be removed.

Here it is in Lamont's own words:
    New Off Topic Board- Read before posting here!
    i agree, now no more complaining about off topic posts in the off topic posting area, just don't click.

Spyder Garage

Default "follow the money"

I've followed this thread for 95 posts and finally decided to do something other than just opine here.

I'm contacting sponsors of NFL broadcasts to let them know that MILLIONS of us are not viewing their commercials because of the actions of players and some coaches ( and the lack of action by the NFL) .

"follow the money" .....If many thousands of Americans contact the sponsors of football and let them know that the commercial budget is not producing something may change for the better.

The protestors can protest ( as is their right) off the field and we will happily watch the commercials ( and my teams loose).

Flame away---------------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    I've followed this thread for 95 posts and finally decided to do something other than just opine here. I'm contacting sponsors of NFL broadcasts to let them know that MILLIONS of us are not viewing their commercials because of the actions of players and some coaches ( and the lack of action by the NFL) . "follow the money" .....If many thousands of Americans contact the sponsors of football and let them know that the commercial budget is not producing something may change for the better. The protestors can protest ( as is their right) off the field and we will happily watch the commercials ( and my teams loose). Flame away---------------
    No flaming here. Makes total sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    No flaming here. Makes total sense.

Thanks Pete
    Lew
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did anyone else have their television stations NOT televise the playing of The National Anthem?
    I thought that I didn't see it on Thursday: it was definitely missing yesterday.
    Do you think that decision was made so the folks wouldn't change the channel, if they saw the players take a knee?
    Or was it done to take the voice away from the protest?
    I don't have a TV in my house... nor would I watch football on it if I did. Momma always said fooseball is the devil...

This entire thing is stupid. Never understood why the anthem is played before stupid events where grown men get paid millions to play children's games anyway. As if it's somehow respectful to play it to a whole group of fans, most of them drinking beer and eating nachos. If anything, playing it this often and at such idiotic events takes away from it being a respected and dignified thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't have a TV in my house... nor would I watch football on it if I did. Momma always said fooseball is the devil...This entire thing is stupid. Never understood why the anthem is played before stupid events where grown men get paid millions to play children's games anyway. As if it's somehow respectful to play it to a whole group of fans, most of them drinking beer and eating nachos. If anything, playing it this often and at such idiotic events takes away from it being a respected and dignified thing.
    It only makes sense when viewed as big business entertainment. The entertainers give fans what they want. Just don't call it patriotic to go to see a show where they play (or sing usually) the national anthem.
    2014 RTL Platinum