Spyder Garage

Default hard braking question

Hello, I have a new to me 2015 RT Limited with about 7900 miles on it, about 500 are mine. No problems with the brakes until yesterday when we took a ride the Blue Ridge mountains doing some cornering, when one of the brakes started squeaking. I am going to take a look at the pads and clean/replace what needs to be done. The issue I had was on the highway on the way home, had to do an emergency stop (Yes, I was following to close) and one of the front brakes locked and the rear started to lift and slide. I got some anti-lock pulsing, but was surprised that one wheel would stop like that. Any one else experience this, or have any suggestions on what to check? Running all OEM tires.

Thanks!

John
    Last edited by jpcoder; 10-01-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Your first problem is that you are still running the OE Krapendas! But that aside, the squeaking could be all sorts of things & may not have anything to do with a front wheel locking under brakes later on - that sounds like one of the front ABS sensors is dirty or not properly fitted....

That said, ABS shouldn't stop a wheel from ever locking at all, it should just ensure that IF it locks, it should only do so only momentarily! So your wheel might sorta stutter along, locking then unlocking numerous times per second, and maybe even do that so fast that it sorta looks like it's barely still turning, but it WILL be turning enough for you to maintain steering control - if that makes sense?!

Checking the front brakes & pads should reveal any issues there, just make sure that the ABS sensors end up going back on the way & how/where they came off, maybe even using a fine sandpaper to lightly scuff the pads braking surfaces before re-assembling the way they came apart - altho if there's an ABS sensor spacer washer in a different place on the side that locked, you might want to fit it the same way as the non-locking side & then (carefully) try an emergency brake test on a clear level section of road or in a deserted car park etc... Good Luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!