Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting First (New To Me) Spyder

The Mrs. has gotten scared of being on two-wheels. She has not been riding with me because of that, and I miss having her on the back. Soooo, found a used 2013 RT Limited with 7600 miles, and it looks pristine. It has the GPS and suitcase with it. It appears to have been very well cared for. Planning on picking it up tomorrow. I have read quite a bit here, and watched quite a few videos on Youtube, and I am excited about getting it. I hate giving up two-wheels, I'm still plenty healthy to handle it; however, as I said, I am excited. Not just having the wife riding with me again, but about the Spyder also. The check engine light was on after they changed the oil change, salesman said that they got that taken care of. Needs a rear tire, they are putting a new one on. I am buying it from a Can Am dealer.

Is there anything in particular that I should inspect test for that model?

I have read the post on operating the 998 engine, shift points and such, very interesting!

Looking forward to learning from this forum.
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder Family,
    We went through exactly the same situation last Fall, bought our used '13 RTL stock on 15 October up here in MN, only got a couple thousand miles before snow made me put it away for the winter, After winter storage, we've put another 10,000 miles on. If it has the side scoops versus the clear plastic deflectors then the heat recall has probably been done. You could ask the servicing dealer if it was done and when. Make sure you get TWO keys! My selling dealer tried to only pass me off with one key, they ultimately did get me a properly programmed second key. Check for the owners manual (sometimes behind the Frunk liner) check for the toolkit (should be under the seat). When I was shopping for my Spyder I found three used spyders for sale that had loose Frunks, I found that out by just reaching under the front edge and lifting, even the one I bought had a loose frunk, dealers mechanic fixed it on the pickup day. Check the Windshield lifting arm for cracks, though you shouldn't find them on '13's normally. Check the pressure of the rear airbag under the seat. Mine was only at 20lbs, when I increased it to 50lbs my wife said it felt much better.
    Regardless of all the little nitnoy things like these, This Spyder has been the best couple friendly bike I've ever owned or drove, since 1973....
    My wife has rode more miles with me in the last 11 months than in the previous 27 years of our marriage. Earlier this month she did a 580 mile single day with no complaints. I don't think she ever did that many miles in a single year before the Spyder.
    Oh yea, check that you get the accessory cables for hooking up an IPOD or other MP3 player to the built in entertainment jack in the trunk.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 09-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would strongly advise you to have the dealer check for any updates or recalls that have not been done.
    The 2013 RT heat issue is a big one, one way to check to seee if it was at least started would be to look directly under the rear view mirrors, is the an air intake scoop and housing under the mirrors on both sides.
    Enjoy, and have a great time!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But have your dealer check to make sure that every update and recall has been addressed.
    And good luck with your new ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would think twice about the 2013. There are good ones, and bad. Heat issues were a primary problem--which BRP offered a free fix for after a couple years.

There is a current thread running about one particular 2013. I suggest giving it a good read.

Make up your own mind, but there are many "used" for sale. A 1330 (2014 or higher RT), would be my recommendation.

A link to the most recent 2013 thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...387-I-M-FED-UP

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

and

Welcome to the spyder world, let the smiles, miles, farkling begin!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Brother Mark, As one of the many '13 Happy owners (who far outweigh those who have had problems) I've gone through two dealers before finding the third that was just as close and much more responsive than the selling dealer and the first service guy that didn't work out. But since finding RiverValley Powersports locally and having my bike worked on by Pitbull Powersports and BRP techs at Spyderfest '17, my Spyder's been (as I said earlier) the BEST couple friendly cycle I've ever had. (Even some Cadillac and Mercedes buyers get lemons, doesn't mean they quit driving them.)
    If you do make the purchase, now that you're getting a new Rear tire, we considered all of the Safety related farkles to be our first priority, like the TricLED Ultimate Safety bundle. We figured the more lit up we were, especially at night, the more visible we'd be. And we got a louder horn with the Brake light flasher modulator system all included.
    I LOVE my 998.... even after 12,000 miles in 11 months.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    and

Welcome to the spyder world, let the smiles, miles, farkling begin!

Deanna
    As soon as I get home with it tomorrow!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Brother Mark, As one of the many '13 Happy owners (who far outweigh those who have had problems) I've gone through two dealers before finding the third that was just as close and much more responsive than the selling dealer and the first service guy that didn't work out. But since finding RiverValley Powersports locally and having my bike worked on by Pitbull Powersports and BRP techs at Spyderfest '17, my Spyder's been (as I said earlier) the BEST couple friendly cycle I've ever had. (Even some Cadillac and Mercedes buyers get lemons, doesn't mean they quit driving them.)
    If you do make the purchase, now that you're getting a new Rear tire, we considered all of the Safety related farkles to be our first priority, like the TricLED Ultimate Safety bundle. We figured the more lit up we were, especially at night, the more visible we'd be. And we got a louder horn with the Brake light flasher modulator system all included.
    I LOVE my 998.... even after 12,000 miles in 11 months.
    It does have LEDs on the rear that operate with the brake lights, and some on the mirrors that operate with the turn signals. I looked at the pics on the dealers website, just below the mirrors are what look like black air scoops that run from the front of the mirrors about a foot back on the tupperware.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I would think twice about the 2013. There are good ones, and bad. Heat issues were a primary problem--which BRP offered a free fix for after a couple years.

There is a current thread running about one particular 2013. I suggest giving it a good read.

Make up your own mind, but there are many "used" for sale. A 1330 (2014 or higher RT), would be my recommendation.

A link to the most recent 2013 thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...387-I-M-FED-UP
    Thanks for the link! I read that thread last night before I had posting permission. They had some killer deals on 2017's, but they were out of our price range. Plan to pay this off as quick as possible then trade up.

Spyder Garage

On the purchase of your Spyder.
    My wife had also lost interest in riding with me on 2 wheels.
    Since getting our Spyder the first week in August she actually asks to go for a ride which is awesome.
    We've put over 4,000 mile on it since getting it and we both really enjoy it.
    The safety feeling is hard to explain but you'll know that feeling very soon.

Again, Congratulations.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Thanks for the link! I read that thread last night before I had posting permission. They had some killer deals on 2017's, but they were out of our price range. Plan to pay this off as quick as possible then trade up.
    The black air scoops were installed as the heat fix. We had a couple 2013 Spyders that came to Alaska in 2015. They were happy with the heat fix. Most had trouble free rides while they were here. Wishing you the best with whatever decision you make.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The dealer offers an extended warranty from a third-party company, like most do with used cars. I am debating on getting it, depending on cost. With only 7600 miles on it, I would think that it will be fine for awhile. Anyone get a warranty on their used one?

Spyder Garage

The dealer offers an extended warranty from a third-party company, like most do with used cars. I am debating on getting it, depending on cost. With only 7600 miles on it, I would think that it will be fine for awhile. Anyone get a warranty on their used one?
    We bought ours private from a retired couple so didn't have the luxury of getting a warranty.
    Personally, if given the choice I would at least buy a warranty that would cover powertrain as well as electronics etc because the powertrain on these seems pretty good from everything I've read but an electronic issue can get pretty pricey.
    Just my opinion of course.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome

To both the spyder world and this awesome site..and congrats all of the above and you'll be fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Naming the warranty company will help. There is a lot of experience on the site with aftermarket warranty companies.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase andto the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

We bought it today. The Cindy (the wife) surprised me and said she would ride on the Victory with me, 112 miles there. She was nervous, but a trooper. She was going to follow in the car. Made the trade, we signed the papers. Got new helmets and blue tooth to go in them. Decided to take the scenic route back. Stopped and ate at Cracker Barrel. She said she liked the Spyder better. A few miles later, after going through a few mild curves, we stopped to check the cell phones and she said, "This is fun!" We got home after dark and she is pumped! 144 miles on the ride home. I got my riding buddy back!

It is comfortable, even for my long legs. We are wore out, 256 miles in one day is not something we have done in a very long time. Curves are different for sure. The last few on our road were more comfortable. The Spyder feels like it is going to lean a bunch, but moves just a bit and sticks. I know the more I ride it the better I will get. I read posts that said to hold on lightly, which I did, most of the time. When I was holding tight, she would move around a bit. A light touch and she steers true. (That sounded like I was sailing a ship!)

We are both very happy with our Spyder. I will post pictures tomorrow after the sun comes up. Thanks for the welcomes, kind words, and advice!

Spyder Garage

Yee Haa, congratulations on a GREAT first ride home. My wife Sharon is so comfortable riding on the Spyder that she dozes on nice warm days when we're easy cruising... I can tell when the headset gets real quiet and I feel her helmet bumping the back of mine....<G>
    And I can relate about how good it feels to have your riding partner enjoying the ride again....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Now it is my turn to decree BS. That is an unfair assessment of the issue. How many posts have I read about that stupid DESS error on the 2014 and 2015 models leaving people stranded, completely without an option? Vacations spoiled, trips ended, total lack of confidence in the vehicle, so much so that even people that have not had the problem are afreaid to go more than 50 miles from home.

There were about 4 RT's that had a serious problem, BRP came up with a retrofit and it worked fine, is there heat, yes, as there was on the 10, 11, & 12 models. Mine now has 28,000 mile s on it and I have fewer issues than I read about with the newer models. Again, we allow the forum, build for people seeking help to cloud and skew our jusdgement. Pure BS.

I would not trade my 2013 RTL for a newer RTL, I might for an F3, but I believe that mine is as good as the new ones. They have advantages, but they have hidden issues as well. My 2013 is a trouble free pleasure!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Recalls

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I would strongly advise you to have the dealer check for any updates or recalls that have not been done.
    The 2013 RT heat issue is a big one, one way to check to seee if it was at least started would be to look directly under the rear view mirrors, is the an air intake scoop and housing under the mirrors on both sides.
    Enjoy, and have a great time!

Joe
    Is there a website one can go to, to check and see if his or her model and year of Spyder has had a recall?

Spyder Garage

We bought it today. The Cindy (the wife) surprised me and said she would ride on the Victory with me, 112 miles there. She was nervous, but a trooper. She was going to follow in the car. Made the trade, we signed the papers. Got new helmets and blue tooth to go in them. Decided to take the scenic route back. Stopped and ate at Cracker Barrel. She said she liked the Spyder better. A few miles later, after going through a few mild curves, we stopped to check the cell phones and she said, "This is fun!" We got home after dark and she is pumped! 144 miles on the ride home. I got my riding buddy back!

It is comfortable, even for my long legs. We are wore out, 256 miles in one day is not something we have done in a very long time. Curves are different for sure. The last few on our road were more comfortable. The Spyder feels like it is going to lean a bunch, but moves just a bit and sticks. I know the more I ride it the better I will get. I read posts that said to hold on lightly, which I did, most of the time. When I was holding tight, she would move around a bit. A light touch and she steers true. (That sounded like I was sailing a ship!)

We are both very happy with our Spyder. I will post pictures tomorrow after the sun comes up. Thanks for the welcomes, kind words, and advice!
    I just read your original post and this one to my Wife because it's exactly the way we felt when we went from 2 wheels to our Spyder.
    Congratulations......enjoy......and ride safe.

P.S. Just sitting here wondering how many times you have reached for the front brake so far....or put your left foot down at a stop. Lol.
    My problem was reaching for the front brake. I only put my left foot down once.

again, enjoy.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    P.S. Just sitting here wondering how many times you have reached for the front brake so far....or put your left foot down at a stop. Lol.
    My problem was reaching for the front brake. I only put my left foot down once. again, enjoy.
    LOL. Left hand left foot to shift once. Right hand to get the brake...more than twice!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Now it is my turn to decree BS. That is an unfair assessment of the issue. How many posts have I read about that stupid DESS error .......

Joe
    Easy Joe, take it easy...<G> Mark4Jesus has already seen the light, bought the '13 as many of us VERY HAPPY '13 RT owners have. Now let's just congratulate the happy couple, let the '1330 proponents enjoy their DESS (and parking brake) issues and what not.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (well many), Proud (mostly so) 2013 RT, 998 V-twin powered riding, happy, HAPPY campers can continue to ride our steeds in comfort. Every model / engine has had some lemons/issues, it's usually the "Squeaky Wheels" that get the longest threads ('cause the rides without problems are out riding, not at teh keyboard), but they're not the norm, they're the exception.

I'm certain Brother Mark understood that before he even purchased his '13.

Let's go join him in Spirit and enjoy the rides (I declare today a 2013 RT National Riding day!) See you on the road.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Now it is my turn to decree BS. That is an unfair assessment of the issue. How many posts have I read about that stupid DESS error on the 2014 and 2015 models leaving people stranded, completely without an option? Vacations spoiled, trips ended, total lack of confidence in the vehicle, so much so that even people that have not had the problem are afreaid to go more than 50 miles from home.

There were about 4 RT's that had a serious problem, BRP came up with a retrofit and it worked fine, is there heat, yes, as there was on the 10, 11, & 12 models. Mine now has 28,000 mile s on it and I have fewer issues than I read about with the newer models. Again, we allow the forum, build for people seeking help to cloud and skew our jusdgement. Pure BS.

I would not trade my 2013 RTL for a newer RTL, I might for an F3, but I believe that mine is as good as the new ones. They have advantages, but they have hidden issues as well. My 2013 is a trouble free pleasure!

Joe
    Don't know what to say. I have been accused of many things, but never for slinging BS. My assessment as stated is true based on what happened between 2013 and 2015. I am VERY happy you got one of the good ones. I am also VERY lucky that I have never had a DESS error on my 2014. I am not a patient type of person. If I would have had a bad 2013 or 2014--I would be long gone. I am not. Just trying to give good advice to a new person--which many have said the same. I have a little experience with the brand--and most of the time I think my advice is good. Sorry you disagree here.

You forgot to copy what I said in post #12 above--I was not all negative about the 2013's. I have said so little about others' rides--that I have been accused as a rah rah man a time or two.

From post #12:

"The black air scoops were installed as the heat fix. We had a couple 2013 Spyders that came to Alaska in 2015. They were happy with the heat fix. Most had trouble free rides while they were here. Wishing you the best with whatever decision you make."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-05-2017 at 02:07 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red