Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How to spread the brake calipers to reinstall rear brake on rotor?

I'm reinstalling the rear wheel after having a new tire mounted. I mistakenly pushed down on the brake pedal before the calipers were installed. Now the calipers are too close together to slide over rotor. Before I make a bad situation worse, can anyone tell me how to safely moved the calipers apart enough to mount back on the bike?

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem spreading the rear pads to install the rear wheel and found out that you have to turn the piston to get it to retract. There are two holes in the piston that can be used. I stuck needle nose in the holes and turn the piston, in lew of having an actual tool.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Default rear brake caliper

Please don't try and force it with a c-clamp. As stated by LJspydee there are two holes in the face of the caliper piston, it turns, with difficulty, CLOCKWISE using a set of heavy needle nose pliers. Turn clockwise until it will turn no further. Take care about the rubber boot while doing this. Let us know how you make out.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Or see if you can't create your own Motorcycle Brake Caliper Pad Spreader that would work like the commercially available ones like
    OTC Disc Brake Pad Spreader.jpg $22 at Walmart or this Quick Quad Brake Pad Spreader.jpg Probably a professional or local brake shop might have one.
    Or maybe a local Autozone or the like would have a loanable tool.
    I know I did this very same thing this last spring and I didn't have to use any spreader, but did use some of the squeeze grip type woodworking clamps and a paint stir stick laid across the caliper side pad.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Please don't try and force it with a c-clamp. As stated by LJspydee there are two holes in the face of the caliper piston, it turns, with difficulty, CLOCKWISE using a set of heavy needle nose pliers. Turn clockwise until it will turn no further. Take care about the rubber boot while doing this. Let us know how you make out.

Al in Kazoo
    I thought doing this was just for the parking brake when you are putting new pads on? So what you're saying is that pushing the brake pedal down does the same mechanical function in the caliper as the parking brake.

I just looked at the service manual & you are correct. I always thought the pedal brake & parking brake functions in a caliper were 2 separate things but looking at the service manual shows that they work on the piston in the same way.

Because of the parking brake, the only way to get the piston back is to rotate it using a tool in the 2 holes. Thanks.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 09-27-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default How to spread the rear brake caliper

Remove pads and clips, use needle nose pliers to turn the piston back in clockwise until it is flush with the housing. reinstall pads and clips, place caliper and pads over rotor, move into position and replace the caliper bolts using blue lock tight, and the torque is around 70 ft lb on the caliper bolts. Oh and you need to hold your mouth just right....
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Easy

Pete,
    as Al said, needle nose pliers in the divots on the piston. Take a rag, cover caliper. Turn caliper to press against muffler. Push hard with pliers while turning clockwise. It will retract. Call me if you need help. Number below. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Remove pads and clips, use needle nose pliers to turn the piston back in clockwise until it is flush with the housing. reinstall pads and clips
    The Brembo brakes don't seem to have 'clips'. There is this one bolt that goes through one end of the pads. The other end of the pads clip into the caliper. The holes on the piston are visible and the needlenose pliers do fit into them as mentioned. Not the easiest thing to work on, but I've got them back together now and got my fingers crossed I don't get a brake failure warning.

Rear caliper 3.jpgRear caliper 4.jpgRear caliper 5.jpgRear caliper 6.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-29-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'd call Capt Joe after that invitation, Joe and Ann are working on Spyders every week I think.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I think I read somewhere also, be sure not to turn the key on until you have reinstalled the caliper and PUMPED UP THE BRAKES UNTIL HARD, or you will get a "brake failure" code the first time you use the brakes. I know when I did the fronts, I was carefull to pump them up hard before starting the bike.
    I guess I should have done this. I do have a brake failure warning and the bike is in limp mode. Nuts!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

He tried to warn you!

Not that big a deal.
    Turn the key on and wait for it to fully boot up and the then press the mode button.
    Press down on the brake pedal hard and hold it there.
    Turn off the key and wait for it to fully shut down. Takes about 20 second. Wait 30 just to be sure.
    Release the brake pedal.
    When you turn the key on again. The fault should be gone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    He tried to warn you! Not that big a deal. Turn the key on and wait for it to fully boot up and the then press the mode button. Turn off the key and wait for it to fully shut down. Takes about 20 second. Wait 30 just to be sure. Release the brake pedal. When you turn the key on again. The fault should be gone.
    Well, it took a few tries before I realized I had not yet hooked up the VSS position sensor. So, did that, lowered it back to the ground, backed it out of the garage and VOILA! No codes or alarms or warning lights!

Thanks all you guys for your advice. I do appreciate it. Would not have tackled this job at all if I didn't think I had some recourse if I ran into trouble.
    2014 RTL Platinum