Spyder Garage

Default completely dumb and irrelevant question but curious.

So, me and my wife and son were sitting outside the theater after watching a movie just talking and my wife says, he, part of the bike fell off. Of coarse i say what are you talking about. And she points right here to the side of the bike. So I start looking and then I start wondering myself. So then I never remember it ever having a part there so i start looking at pics of other bikes and it appears they are all missing or designed that way from the factory. There is like a honeycomb grill on 1 side but not on the other. Is it designed that way for a specific reason, Or can you buy a grill to put in there and make both sides match. I have included a pic of each side.

Thank you

Jim

IMAG0857.jpgIMAG0858.jpg
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Yup. Grills on both sides. One ain't there. Dealer should have or get one. Install is one of the easier thing.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Up until 2014, they were built like that. When I bought my 2008, I had to take a "stealth" visit to the dealer to check out the other models. They were missing the part too. I am thinking it had to do with airflow on the 998's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Good info. Strange that a Heat issue would arise and be that sensitive with such an open element as that grille in almost direct line of airflow. Is what it is and I'd order one up personally.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Yup. Grills on both sides. One ain't there. Dealer should have or get one. Install is one of the easier thing.
    Not necessarily true. Older RTs didn't have a grill on the right-hand side from the factory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got creative on mine
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

They don't have the grill on that side until they changed to the 1300 , most folks put in a heat shield and force the heat down thru some holes that you drill out underneath.
    There are many threads on this subject.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    They don't have the grill on that side until they changed to the 1300 , most folks put in a heat shield and force the heat down thru some holes that you drill out underneath.
    There are many threads on this subject.
    Could not be more correct.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Guess I will have to do some checking as i never paid attention to is as I dont really get all that much heat. My seat gets hotter than my feet.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by heyharris1 View Post
    Guess I will have to do some checking as i never paid attention to is as I dont really get all that much heat. My seat gets hotter than my feet.

Jim
    2012 didn't have the heat problem the 2013 did. The right side grill for 2014 can be modified to fit the 2013 so it probably will also fit the 2012. Search for right grill. You should find several discussions of it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2011 RTS got really hot on the right side. It improved after I put on Harvey's heat-blocker. Of course, never as bad as the '13s!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I had the same doubt until I read this:

“Do's & Do Not's” for New Spyder Owners
    General information
    Missing vents.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

spyderpops has chrome grilles for those openings and it gives the bike a little extra flair. also that's the lower opening there never was a piece for that spot from the factory you need to buy the block off plate from spyderpops plus the chrome.
    Last edited by scooterexpress; 09-26-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

I laughed when I read the original post because:::::::::
    The first time that I took a test ride an a Spyder RT the dealer told me I could have it for an hour which I thought was pretty reasonable.
    Anyway, about 15 minutes into the test ride, I pulled into a plaza just to check out the Spyder.
    When I noticed the missing grill I just knew that this Spyder had been in an accident and a shoddy repair had been done.
    I immediately returned it to the dealer and thanked them for the test ride and was on my way.
    DUH
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    2012 didn't have the heat problem the 2013 did. The right side grill for 2014 can be modified to fit the 2013 so it probably will also fit the 2012. Search for right grill. You should find several discussions of it.
    That is what I did on my 2013. I hated having those two open holes.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To the O.P.,
    You're not the first to get caught by this... and you sure won't be the last!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My 13 RTL had already been "fixed" with the heat recall scoops where '12's and earlier had clear plastic deflectors, but I hated that the right side "dragon's mouth" was open unlike the grilled left side.
    Researched here, found Rob's Mod's and many others that had bought the 2014 Right side grill and plate (#705004803 can be ordered for $20 ish). I did use a small sheet metal screw to attach the tab on the font edge of the grill part to the Radiator surround. Easy and cheap. and modded and mounted that so the bike looks..... normal.... Mine just involved cutting some vent holes in the right side housing behind the radiator and placing the Right side vent in the empty holes.
    While at Spyder's in the Ozarks, I met a fellow that had completely removed the housing behind the right side radiator and the bottom shield that allows all the hot air to vent down and behind providing even better heat exhaust than what I'd done. Now on this years winter farkle list.
    20161118_093356.jpg
    Last edited by DGoebel; 09-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020