Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default hard start when warm

Good evening. Hope everyone was out riding today. It's been beautiful in Chicago land recently.

I have a question for all (what else).
    I was out riding today and when I shut her down and went into a store and came back out it cranked but did not want to start. I tried 3-4 times and same thing. I tried giving her a little gas (didn't know if that would work on a Spyder or not) and she sputtered and ran fine. Lately she seems to take a little more cranking to start (IMHO). She has been and did run fine all day. Where I got to the fire station I shut her down and had the same problem again. I just had her in for an oil change and once over and they said everything was fine. When I go home from the station I was going to check all fluids. Any ideas. I've been running 89 octane since a lot of riders say it shouldn't matter. I also always out in an additive for the ethanol in the gas to keep it clean. She's got 11,000 mile on her and has always started and run great. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLOW STARTING

How old is the battery ??? ....Do you keep it on a Maintainer ??? . ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought it last year in June so the battery might be original. It cranks okay, I only try it for 3-4 seconds and then stop and try again. Maybe fuel pump? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

It was pretty hot out today
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default My '14 too

I've been having starting issues as well. I've been told on here it's a purge valve, or vapor cannister plugged. My dealer knows about it and they will check it out, someday. maybe this winter when I tend to slow down some.
    Try opening the fuel cap when you stop. I do and it helps.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good evening. Hope everyone was out riding today. It's been beautiful in Chicago land recently.

I have a question for all (what else).
    I was out riding today and when I shut her down and went into a store and came back out it cranked but did not want to start. I tried 3-4 times and same thing. I tried giving her a little gas (didn't know if that would work on a Spyder or not) and she sputtered and ran fine. Lately she seems to take a little more cranking to start (IMHO). She has been and did run fine all day. Where I got to the fire station I shut her down and had the same problem again. I just had her in for an oil change and once over and they said everything was fine. When I go home from the station I was going to check all fluids. Any ideas. I've been running 89 octane since a lot of riders say it shouldn't matter. I also always out in an additive for the ethanol in the gas to keep it clean. She's got 11,000 mile on her and has always started and run great. Thanks, Mike

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Chuck, I am glad that you showed up, I was reading the OP message and thought of you. When you stop you crack the cap.

By the way, you are both on 2014's.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I just talked to the dealer and he mentioned something about the purge valve. Also it was a very hot day and I just filled it up and topped it off to get those few extra miles which you are not supposed to. Maybe the fuel expanded and overflowed a little as her said. I will ride her around town some to get the fuel level down. She runs great so maybe that was it. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default LESS FUEL = BETTER STARTING

I just talked to the dealer and he mentioned something about the purge valve. Also it was a very hot day and I just filled it up and topped it off to get those few extra miles which you are not supposed to. Maybe the fuel expanded and overflowed a little as her said. I will ride her around town some to get the fuel level down. She runs great so maybe that was it. Thanks, Mike
    . I don't buy this theory ( dealers ) ...... I always fill my Tank until it's dripping out of the filler neck ..... ( 14 RT ) ...never had this happen even in very hot weather .... If your battery wasn't properly charged .. it effects it's life and performance .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any ideas. I've been running 89 octane since a lot of riders say it shouldn't matter. I also always out in an additive for the ethanol in the gas to keep it clean.
    Two things:

If it didn't matter at all, BRP would not recommend higher octane.

Additives in every tank are NOT necessary if it is ridden fairly often.....like a tankful a month.......and can be counter productive.

Someone else mentioned the battery; good point.
    You might also have gotten a bad batch of gas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just filled it up and topped it off to get those few extra miles which you are not supposed to.
    And yet you do it anyway.

Once the fuel gets into the vapor canister, you're screwed.
    It then needs to be cleaned out or replaced.

Another symptom of that is unstable idle and surging at constant throttle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    . I don't buy this theory ( dealers ) ......
    What about the several threads already on here about this causing problems for OTHER owners ?? (Having nothing to do with "dealers"?)

Just because YOU have been lucky doesn't negate ALL of the other wisdom and experience in the world.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine did the same thing yesterday

My 14 RTS also acted up yesterday requiring excessive cranking to start at several stops...It has done this before but this was the first time this season that I can remember of...It seems to come and go at will???

I put a new Deka AGM battery in at the beginning of this riding season just because my Yusa was 3 years old...I keep my bike on a maintainer at all times when not riding and the cables are tight...

To me, it just acts like the ECM is not seeing a pulse count from somewhere as quick as it should for some reason???

It was extremely HOT here yesterday...

larryd

Spyder Garage

I'll check the battery this AM. If I got some bad gas wouldn't it run bad after it started. I went out and started it twice this AM while it was cold and it started right up. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default unwanted contact

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    What about the several threads already on here about this causing problems for OTHER owners ?? (Having nothing to do with "dealers"?)

Just because YOU have been lucky doesn't negate ALL of the other wisdom and experience in the world.
    Please put me on your " IGNORE " list, this way your not tempted to comment on anything / everything I say here.........Thank you - Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I've been having starting issues as well. I've been told on here it's a purge valve, or vapor cannister plugged. My dealer knows about it and they will check it out, someday. maybe this winter when I tend to slow down some.
    Try opening the fuel cap when you stop. I do and it helps.
    Chuck
    I think the dealer said something like this can happen when you top it off (which I did) and hopefully when the fuel level goes down it will be okay. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Two things:

If it didn't matter at all, BRP would not recommend higher octane.

Additives in every tank are NOT necessary if it is ridden fairly often.....like a tankful a month.......and can be counter productive.

Someone else mentioned the battery; good point.
    You might also have gotten a bad batch of gas.
    The additive I use is Sentry New Technology Fuel treatments that the previous owner gave me and his dealer recommended it. It's supposed to be for ethanol blends, water problems, cleaning injectors and fuel systems and stabilizes and restores fuel. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the dealer said something like this can happen when you top it off (which I did) and hopefully when the fuel level goes down it will be okay. Thanks, Mike
    It doesn't work that way, Mike.

Once the liquid fuel gets in the canister where it is NOT supposed to be it stays there regardless of what the fuel level in the tank is.
    Then......some of it comes out into the engine at various seemingly random times and messes up the mixture. I suspect that when the canister and excess fuel gets REAL hot that might happen more.

You might find it helpful to search on here about the evap canister, problems and fixes.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-25-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

restores fuel. Thanks, Mike
    Fresh fuel does not need "restoring". That part is just marketing BS.

While it probably won't do any harm at all......except to your pocket book......it is ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY unnecessary to use that stuff in every tank.
    Once every few months maybe.

The extra dollars that you are wasting on the additive would be better spent on the higher octane gas that the company recommends.
    And you probably would be money ahead too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please put me on your " IGNORE " list,
    Not gonna happen.

It would accomplish the same thing even better if you were a bit more careful about what you say in the first place.

Spyder Garage

It doesn't work that way, Mike.

Once the liquid fuel gets in the canister where it is NOT supposed to be it stays there regardless of what the fuel level in the tank is.
    Then......some of it comes out into the engine at various seemingly random times and messes up the mixture. I suspect that when the canister and excess fuel gets REAL hot that might happen more.

You might find it helpful to search on here about the evap canister, problems and fixes.
    So what do I need to do if it keeps happening and is it a dealer issue or can I fix it. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So what do I need to do if it keeps happening and is it a dealer issue or can I fix it. Thanks, Mike
    Two "owner" fixes have been reported.
    One is clean out the canister and re-install.
    The other is a simple modification that removes the canister completely (not a good idea in California).

A search on here should find both.......as well as an expensive dealer fix that involves paying for a new canister.

Spyder Garage

Two "owner" fixes have been reported.
    One is clean out the canister and re-install.
    The other is a simple modification that removes the canister completely (not a good idea in California).

A search on here should find both.......as well as an expensive dealer fix that involves paying for a new canister.
    I see you are in Florida. I bought the bike from a guy in Tampa last year.

What does the canister do? Is it an EPA think. I always removed the EPA stuff on all 3 of my Yamaha viragos since it just made it run worse.

anyone hear ever remove one? Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default CHARCOAL / EVAP CANNISTER

In the 1330 RT models the canister won't / can't get contaminated ( unless you flip it & maybe not then ) ... If you look at a Fiche' that shows the Gas line routing it shows that it's not possible ..... despite what some other Poster says ...on the V-twins it was an issue .... but you have an RT ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

despite what some other Poster says ...on the V-twins it was an issue .... but you have an RT ...... Mike
    Some RTs have V-twins too.
    But you might very well be right.
    I wasn't paying very close attention to the details on the threads about this.

wmh9680: Do a search and read the reports. There is no reason to be modifying things that are not causing a problem.......but checking the canister should be fairly easy.

Spyder Garage

I know this is not the same thing but i had a car do that once and it was traced back to a bad battery cable that goes to the starter. Probably not in this situation but just trying to throw some ideas out there. Hope you get it solved.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS