Spyder Garage

Default Touring San Antonio

In March, the wife and I are going to take the Spyder to San Antonio. We plan to do the typical tourist stuff like the River Walk and the Alamo, but also want to ride outside of town.

Can any of you suggest some great scenic, Spyder friendly, roads in the area? Are there any great places to eat that are out in the middle of nowhere?

At this point we are totally flexible, so if there are also some interesting places around Austin, Dallas, or Houston, please throw them into the mix also.

Thanks.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

http://www.spydersinthehills.com/

Check out the rides at this website that we’re going to do it the October rally. Lots of great places to ride to the north and west of San Antonio in the hill country. There’s a great ride to take to Lukenbach Texas, and on the way there’s a real good café called Alamo Springs that’s worth going to.
    Last edited by george123; 09-23-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you George.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Default Gristmill River Restaurant & Bar

1287 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130

Copied from their homepage... "Arriving in Texas in the mid 1840s, German farmers became the first settlers of what is now known as Gruene, Texas. ... The first mercantile store (now Gruene General Store) was built in 1878 and a cotton gin (now Gristmill River Restaurant and Bar) powered by the Guadalupe River was added soon after."

Learn more... www.gruenetexas.com/about.php
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    1287 Gruene Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130

Copied from their homepage... "Arriving in Texas in the mid 1840s, German farmers became the first settlers of what is now known as Gruene, Texas. ... The first mercantile store (now Gruene General Store) was built in 1878 and a cotton gin (now Gristmill River Restaurant and Bar) powered by the Guadalupe River was added soon after."

Learn more... www.gruenetexas.com/about.php
    With the information you and George sent, my wife and I are getting very excited. I think this is going to be a great trip. Thanks.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Default Listed as within the top 10 motorcycle rides in the US

The Texas hill country has the 3 sisters ride.

http://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

And don't forget the dry rub barbeque. Great eating.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So many roads, so little time. Get up early, don't eat, take Hwy 16 west out of S.A. to Bandera. Eat breakfast of the Old Spanish Trail cafe (OST) Hwy 16 and main street. Continue on 16 to Medina, turn left on Hwy 337 to Hwy 187, turn right 2-3 miles, turn left on 337 again. You are in beautiful downtown Vanderpool and if you continue on 187 2-3 miles and see the Lonestar motorcycle museum. Back to 337 to Leakey (Lake E, not leake), pass main street one mile on 337 and stop at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop for a PR stop. Continue on the three sisters.....335,336 and 337, as mentioned above. Your choice, but I suggest you continue on 337 to Camp Wood, go north on 55 to Barksdale, take 335 to Hwy 41, turn right to Hwy 336 back to Leakey. Not tired yet....okay, take Hwy 83 north to Hwy 39, turn right and head for Ingram, you run into Hwy 27 and on to Kerrville. Catch IH10 back to San Antonio. IH10, exit 543 (Boerne) is Coyote Motorsports...a nice Spyder dealer on the west side of the Interstate. Enjoy.

So you are not tired yet.....okay, take Hwy 16 south from Kerrville back to Bandera and then home.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    So many roads, so little time. Get up early, don't eat, take Hwy 16 west out of S.A. to Bandera. Eat breakfast of the Old Spanish Trail cafe (OST) Hwy 16 and main street. Continue on 16 to Medina, turn left on Hwy 337 to Hwy 187, turn right 2-3 miles, turn left on 337 again. You are in beautiful downtown Vanderpool and if you continue on 187 2-3 miles and see the Lonestar motorcycle museum. Back to 337 to Leakey (Lake E, not leake), pass main street one mile on 337 and stop at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop for a PR stop. Continue on the three sisters.....335,336 and 337, as mentioned above. Your choice, but I suggest you continue on 337 to Camp Wood, go north on 55 to Barksdale, take 335 to Hwy 41, turn right to Hwy 336 back to Leakey. Not tired yet....okay, take Hwy 83 north to Hwy 39, turn right and head for Ingram, you run into Hwy 27 and on to Kerrville. Catch IH10 back to San Antonio. IH10, exit 543 (Boerne) is Coyote Motorsports...a nice Spyder dealer on the west side of the Interstate. Enjoy.

So you are not tired yet.....okay, take Hwy 16 south from Kerrville back to Bandera and then home.

Thanks for all the directions.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Grandpot!

Oh, I should check the thread... Thought I was first to respond....
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    In March, the wife and I are going to take the Spyder to San Antonio. We plan to do the typical tourist stuff like the River Walk and the Alamo, but also want to ride outside of town.

Can any of you suggest some great scenic, Spyder friendly, roads in the area? Are there any great places to eat that are out in the middle of nowhere?

At this point we are totally flexible, so if there are also some interesting places around Austin, Dallas, or Houston, please throw them into the mix also.

Thanks.
    First Sir, I want to thank you for your service!
    I am Road Captain with local HOG group and would be more than happy to share some routes, or answer any questions. The O'Brien or Menger are great historical hotel's along the riverwalk. I prefer the O'Brien. I know that being as close as you are you plan to stop in Luckenbach, along the way is the Alamo Springs Cafe. They are one of the tope three burger spots on Texas.

A nice full day of riding would be...Highway 16 out of San Antonio to 337 in Medina, to Camp Wood, then north on 335 to 41, then over to 377, lunch in Junction. Lum's, La Familia, or Isaak's. Then 481 to 83, back to 41, west to 336, which takes you south back to Leakey. Pronounced Lakey. From there take 83 south to Concan. Stop and have dinner at Neal's.
    If you are looking for a place to stay in the Hill Country, Neal's and Frio Pecan Farms River Bluff or River Haven are all good places to stay. Friends Grill, Bent Rim, and Mill Creek Cafe are all good places to eat in Leakey.

PM me, I am willing to share my contact info.
    Last edited by Matahead; 09-30-2017 at 12:05 AM.