Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Issues

2013 RT-S, SM5. Added LEDs: Spyderpops RTB rear lights with flasher and A arm running lights, Longhorn RT lights on the mirrors, rear trunk lights with 12V push on/off switch.

I left the rear trunk light on by accident for a couple of days, and drained the battery. Per the manual, hooked up the jumper cables with my car off. Turned on the key and had all the normal lights on, including the A arm, rear RTB and the Longhorns on the mirrors. Instrument cluster lighted as normal. Hit the mode switch, pressed starter button, got a couple of loud clicks, no start, and the cluster went dark as well as the A arm lights. OEM fog lights and both front and rear turn signals stayed on as normal but wont blink. Tried leaving the cables connected for a few minutes with the key off but no change. Bike is in neutral with paeking brake on. OEM battery I thin, bike was purchased used.

Sounds like I may have fried a fuse or two, but now that its dark I really don't have a spot to continue working. Any suggestions as to where to start in the morning?

Bob
    Last edited by Old Crow; 09-22-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

battery drained below a revivable spot. Will never hold a charge again,.

is this the OEM battery? People need to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    battery drained below a revivable spot. Will never hold a charge again,.

is this the OEM battery? People need to know.
    Yes, original battery.

why would the condole go dark, even with the jumpers still connected unless there is now a fuse blown?

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Yes, original battery.

why would the condole go dark, even with the jumpers still connected unless there is now a fuse blown?

Bob
    Battery probably has a dead short. You could check the connections , but I'd bet you're due for a new battery.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

I have had my battery run dead several times. It is the original battery 2012 and have had similar results. Check all the connections especially at the battery. Then put in on a trickle charger overnight and it will start.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, original battery.

Bob
    The initial draw on the battery for starting is higher than what you were getting through the cables. That's why everything dropped off again. A battery that old doesn't owe you anything, but a good long slow charge may revive it for a little longer. Personally, I wouldn't trust it since we don't have kickstarters on these things!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, original battery.

Bob
    I'm guessing your jumper cable connections aren't good enough. The cluster will go dark if the voltage drops below 10.5 when you hit the starter. Put a charger on your battery for a few hours.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input folks. A couple of hours on the charger is all it took!

Bob