Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket shocks... alternative...

... I have contacted Progressive Suspension to see if they will offer a complete shock set for the Spyder. I have used Progressive shocks on my other bikes and they are really good... a dramatic improvement over stock.
    Please email Justin at to encourage them! Alternatives are good!

<jbarber@progressivesuspension.com>

From Progressive:
    "We have had a few requests for this app but still not enough to have a good share of the Market so I will add this request to our monthly customer service report. Have any and all Spyder owners send e mails just like this for updates to the report the more requests the better chances of seeing an app in the future.

Thank you.

Justin Barber
    Progressive Suspension
    Customer Service Lead Tech
    6911 Marlin cir
    La Palma, CA
    714-523-8700

My original email to Progressive:

"As a fan of your products on a 1998 Valkyrie and 2002 VTX, do you have any plans for front or rear shocks for the three-wheeler Can Am Spyder?

This might be a good niche for you... currently, a set of Elka aftermarket shocks are pushing the $2,000 mark. I know from prior experiences that you sell a set a HD rear shocks (I like the 418s), for a more realistic $400-$500... similar to what would be needed on the front of the Spyder.

I also suspect that existing shocks might be modified with just different bushings as needed. I don't have the dimensions... I have searched for stock shocks for sale but there does not appear to be any on the market.

I'd offer my bike as a prototype... except that I'm in Texas . There currently are approximately 14,000 Spyders on the road, worldwide. I'm sure you could ask for volunteers for prototyping in your area and obtain the base bike. See this web site (best) for potential inquiries: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forums.php

Thoughts? "

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I sent them one.

I already had a front shock replaced at 2000 miles. No biggie, it was covered and my dealer took care of it quick.

I figured Can Am would have a real heavy duty suspension given thier line of off road vehicles. Granted, I am heavier than most riders, but others must be feeling the need given the market for sway bars and Elka.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Ping!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post
    I sent them one.

I already had a front shock replaced at 2000 miles. No biggie, it was covered and my dealer took care of it quick.

I figured Can Am would have a real heavy duty suspension given thier line of off road vehicles. Granted, I am heavier than most riders, but others must be feeling the need given the market for sway bars and Elka.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I might add that you might want to send this email whether you think you need shocks or not.

You will sooner or later.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

E-mail sent.

Thanks for the info.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Elka shocks

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderByter View Post
    I sent them one.

How good are the Elka shocks? After adding Corbin saddlebags and BRP backrest and rear sport rack, I find riding 2 up I either bottom out on rear shock or if I move rear shock up a notch, ride is to harsh, hoping the ELKA would solve problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Extracool View Post
    How good are the Elka shocks? After adding Corbin saddlebags and BRP backrest and rear sport rack, I find riding 2 up I either bottom out on rear shock or if I move rear shock up a notch, ride is to harsh, hoping the ELKA would solve problem.
    DocDuru has them... maybe he'll chime in. I just have a hard time thinking of shelling out $2200 for Elka's. Didn't pay nearly that much for Bilstein Corvette shocks.

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've run Elka Elites on quads and they are awesome. Doc's Spyder really seemed smooth when he was flying past me.

Spyder Garage

I believe you can do the entry level Elka's for around $1300. Basically the same shock - but without the external reservoir - so easier to mount.

I'm about 98% sold on ordering some - but don't want to Spend $2300 and don't want to have those resevoirs to bother with mounting.

Spyder Garage

Email sent to Progressive
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    Email sent to Progressive
    Thanks. Slowly but surely...

My Spyder:

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

At 25 k I replaced the BRP shocks with Elka's. The next 10 k I was trying to find/test the best settings/adjustments for my type of rYding: balance between the front and rear, whoops and bumps, high-speed curves. Here are the results (all values are measured from the full-out position):
    1. Low-speed compression: 20
    2. High-speed compression: 7
    3. Rebound: 20
    4. Fine-tune rebound front: harder +35
    5. Fine-tune rebound back: harder +15
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks

docdoru, thanks for the reply and the detailed info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    DocDuru has them... maybe he'll chime in. I just have a hard time thinking of shelling out $2200 for Elka's. Didn't pay nearly that much for Bilstein Corvette shocks.
    Bilsteins have vastly improved the ride on everything on which I have installed them, from my Corvette to my one ton Dodge Cummins. I would LOVE to find a Bilstein which would work on the front of my Spyder!
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Resurrection of an old topic that may need some updates applied.

It seems most people buying Elkas tend now to go fronts only.

Elka no longer is offering high end multi clicker shocks, so this is keeping prices lower.

Current prices from Elka or those selling them new are pretty much in the range for what you pay for high performance, rebuildable shocks from a quality company.

Not sure where the Fox Spyder units are built. But do not be surprised if the parts are made overseas and assembled in the US.

PK

Spyder Garage

I installed Elka,s on my 13 ST-L. $1178.00to my front door. Stage 1's up front and stage 1+R in the rear. I ride 2 up most of the time and it seems to have stopped most of the bottoming. I did take 2 turns out of them to soften them up. My wife notices it the most since she sits right on top of the rear shock and she feels it was a great improvement.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Resurrection of an old topic that may need some updates applied.
    A five year -old thread...

That's some pretty deep-digging!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black