Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I stumped BRP with this question

Last night, via BRP's website, I asked the following:

"Re your New SHAD Rear Seat Bag, can you please tell me the inside dimensions and how it attaches to an RT? Does it strap onto the passenger hand rails? Is there a strap to hold it upright, IOW, to stop it from tilting forward? Any pics of one strapped onto an RT? Thank you."

This morning, they emailed the following reply:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP for your inquiry.

Further to your request, after carefully researching your inquiry, we recommend you contact your local BRP dealership since they will need to contact the parts and also provide you with the sheet case.

Please note that in order to provide its consumers premium quality technical support, BRP ensures that its dealers are technically trained and are also provided with a dealer dedicated technical support team, to answer any and all specific diagnostic, warranty, parts and repair questions. These lines are reserved for the dealers only."

So, I turn now to the bottomless pit of knowledge, wisdom and guidance of you guys. Does anyone have this new case? Has anyone at least seen this new case? If so, can anyone answer my apparently prohibitively difficult technical questions about this new case??
    https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...-seat-bag.html

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

From what I can see...you would be strapping to the grab bars both sides but as to the forward backward motion it is not clear. Your back would be for the forward and the back rest for the back... but they may have a strap that hook to the trunk lid or wrap around it... might check with shad....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is available from Amazon, among other vendors. Not exclusive to BRP. Price $130

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B01MG5AS1G
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From what I can see...you would be strapping to the grab bars both sides but as to the forward backward motion it is not clear. Your back would be for the forward and the back rest for the back... but they may have a strap that hook to the trunk lid or wrap around it... might check with shad....
    From the pics, it appears that there are the two side attachment points that could attach to the passenger grab rails on an RT. Forward / back motion is limited by the driver and the passenger backrest, as Chupaca says above.

I don't think this bag is unique to Spyders necessarily.

I recently did a trip to CA and back from UT and needed the extra carrying capacity. So, I just used a cheap 'dry' bag from Walmart. PVC coated. Comes in colors and different sizes. Stayed put when placed on back seat, but I put a bungie over it, attached to the grab rails just in case. Biggest PIA is whenever I stopped for gas I had to remove it from the backseat, then remember not to drive off without it...!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-22-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Tons of universal rear seat bags on the market like this. They all use straps with hooks to mount. Some will go under the seat, some on the handrails, etc.

Pretty easy to make them work. Used something similar on my GS and RT.

Their answer was a canned response.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Tons of universal rear seat bags on the market like this. They all use straps with hooks to mount. Some will go under the seat, some on the handrails, etc.

Pretty easy to make them work. Used something similar on my GS and RT.

Their answer was a canned response.
    And I was thinking I better go get my chest waders when reading it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The case comes with 4 straps so you can secure it in various ways and also has shoulder harnesses attached so you can carry it like a backpack.

I have one for sale, and if your interested, just PM me. I used it for the trip from Los Angeles to Valcourt back in May/June and despite all the rain I encountered, the contents stayed dry.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    The case comes with 4 straps so you can secure it in various ways and also has shoulder harnesses attached so you can carry it like a backpack.

I have one for sale, and if your interested, just PM me. I used it for the trip from Los Angeles to Valcourt back in May/June and despite all the rain I encountered, the contents stayed dry.
    Ahhh! Can you tell me its internal dimensions? I deliver eggs to my customers via my Spyder, and I have a good setup already, but I have to screw around with my cargo net that I keep on my passenger's seat at all times. If this thing is 12" wide on the inside, and tall enough for several cartons, I thought it'd be great IF it easily secures vertically. But it doesn't sound like it does.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've actually been meaning to ask in here if it's eventually going to damage my rear trunk in any way when I run my thin, flat nylon strap around its hinge to keep my pile of grain bags on my passenger seat. IOW, I strap the bags together, then open the rear trunk, run the strap inside its hinges, close the trunk, and tie back onto the pile. Will I crack the plastic some day? Wreck the seal?

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

I don't have an RT and have not worked with them so I can not picture this. I would think you are fine but have you considered getting a trunk rack to which you could connect things like the cargo net and the seat bag to....

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    I've actually been meaning to ask in here if it's eventually going to damage my rear trunk in any way when I run my thin, flat nylon strap around its hinge to keep my pile of grain bags on my passenger seat. IOW, I strap the bags together, then open the rear trunk, run the strap inside its hinges, close the trunk, and tie back onto the pile. Will I crack the plastic some day? Wreck the seal?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    ANY way you obstruct any of the many "flim flam" hinges on your canned ham, you are taking a risk, ANY HINGE>
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have an RT and have not worked with them so I can not picture this. I would think you are fine but have you considered getting a trunk rack to which you could connect things like the cargo net and the seat bag to....
    I guess a trunk rack might serve as my horizontal hook-up, but it'd just be in the way otherwise. My cargo net on the seat is perfect for holding my helmet when I'm off the bike and for clamping down a shirt or jacket that I can grab on the run, so I don't need to change its location. What I simply need on a regular basis is a high tie down spot on each side to keep my cargo snugged against the passenger backrest.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    ANY way you obstruct any of the many "flim flam" hinges on your canned ham, you are taking a risk, ANY HINGE>
    My strap is so thin, it doesn't make the trunk close any differently, but I'm afraid you're right. The trunk and its lid weren't designed to be used this way. If nothing else, I'm almost certainly challenging the paint along the sides.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty