Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 6-Speed Manual Marginalized in 2018 lineup

Looking at the 2018 Spyder web page, it appears that the MT is only available on the F3-S and the Base RT. The other models list only the push-button transmission. As someone who prefers a manual clutch, I'm disappointed to see this. However, I understand that the take rate on the MT is pretty low, so it kind of makes sense from a production/distribution standpoint.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 09-22-2017 at 01:02 PM.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's also the same with regard to passenger vehicles, even light trucks.

I have always preferred a stick shift too but a recent round trip from Phoenix to Coeur d'Alene, ID convinced me that an automatic can be a real asset in the mountains (when constant shifting is going on) or in heavy rush hour traffic.

This just ain't the 1950's any more.

Spyder Garage

Default Ah that's a shame....

They are killing all the fun out of the ryde... must be a large number of upright, sunday driving tour types and not enough speed demons.... It is looking more and more like the RS and I are going down together...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're going to sell what the market will buy.
    My guess, is that they've got lots of data that proves that the "ESSIE" is a winner!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

An unfortunate situation for lovers of MT. I still like them. After 5 years of riding strictly automatics, I purchased a new Vulcan. Never had a fear about that first shift when I drove it off from the dealer.

I guess that once we learn it, it is in our memory forever. I am also one of the few that "likes" a manual transmission.

As far as 's go, My first (2008 SM5) was a manual. All others have been SE's. It is no longer a gas saving thing--if you shift in the proper range, you will not notice much in mpg difference--same with ECO mode. "They" tell us, that they have made the transmissions "smarter" these days.

Another issue--we now see the MT on only the entry level models, and I am in agreement that they are probably on the way out. As a resale item--it is getting more difficult to sell a unit with MT. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They are killing all the fun out of the ryde... must be a large number of upright, sunday driving tour types and not enough speed demons.... It is looking more and more like the RS and I are going down together...
    Hang in there...Old shifters never die.... Someone will have to finish this one for me--make it good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I guess that once we learn it, it is in our memory forever. I am also one of the few that "likes" a manual transmission.
    Which brings to mind a story......

Back in 1958 I bought my first motorcycle - a 1958 Jawa 125cc street bike. It had the foot brake on the left and shifter on the right (as did most European bikes of the day). So I learned brake left, shift right.

Even today, some 50-odd years later and a whole host of bikes that had the opposite arrangement, if I don't consciously think about which foot I am using to shift I will occasionally stomp on the brake to downshift.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post

Back in 1958 I bought my first motorcycle - a 1958 Jawa 125cc street bike. It had the foot brake on the left and shifter on the right (as did most European bikes of the day). So I learned brake left, shift right.

Even today, some 50-odd years later and a whole host of bikes that had the opposite arrangement, if I don't consciously think about which foot I am using to shift I will occasionally stomp on the brake to downshift.
    Yes. It has to do with that first muscle memory that was learned. Never had a right hand shifter, but am guessing that would also give me fits.

Since I have both a 998 and a 1330, both Linda and I have to think about which one we are riding as one is 5 speed and one 6 speed, and both have shift points that are different. A mental "think" is necessary before going down the road for the both of us. Throw in the Vulcan manual, and I have to do three different "thinks" these days.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I learned to ride on a Honda, then had a '79 Triumph for my second bike. Both shifted on the left. My third bike was a '71 BSA B50, which was right-side shift. I got to the point where I learned to brake and downshift correctly, but for some reason even after a year on that bike I was still instinctively trying to upshift by lifting up on the brake pedal. I think it was because I typically braked and downshifted at the same time, so I had to engage both sides of my brain, which wasn't normally the case with upshifting.

I once read that motorcycle racer Eddie Lawson could easily switch bikes between any combination of right- and left-shift, standard and GP (1 up-4 down) shift patterns and adapt to each instantly. I found that amazing, until I realized that sort of mental processing ability is how you get to be World Champion.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Eddie Lawson was one of the best...

Spyder Garage

Default I'm disappoint too!

Sad to see they dropped the manual trans from the F3-T. That was going to be my next Spyder.
    I had my dealer search for a '16 or '17 F3-T SM6 and there isn't one in the 5 state region of Minnesota!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Hang in there...Old shifters never die.... Someone will have to finish this one for me--make it good.

......they just grind away.

Hey, I tried!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    ......they just grind away.

Hey, I tried!
    And pretty good

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Count me as a manual guy. Thought I'd have enough to 'learn' going from two wheels to three so figured the manual was one thing I wouldn't have to learn. In reality I acclimated much quicker than many have said it normally takes, so guess I could have gone with the SE.

On the other hand read a lot about the SE having shifting issues, clutch issues, stuck in gear issues and even emergency brake issues (which you HAVE to set with an SE, (so you are using it a lot more) you do not HAVE to on the SM (but should have you are on any kind of incline). So there is that.

Yet have to agree, resale value and resale pool of interested persons are both less.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Different Controls

......So I learned brake left, shift right.
    Back in the late 1970's, I dated a guy that had broken his left hand and it was going to be a LONG recovery. He also did his own custom work on his bikes and selected a Suzuki from the stable to modify for his needs. Moved the clutch to the right hand .... yes, and kept the brake there too. This is the bike on which I learned to ride ..... two fingers for the clutch and three for the brake -- not easy, and one MUST have long fingers to "pull" it off (sorry, pun intended). It was VERY tricky, but I did become somewhat proficient. Fortunately, did not have many miles on the bike so there was not much muscle memory and I had very little trouble converting over to a more "normal" style (left clutch, right brake) a few months later.

Okay .... end of hijack ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program (already in progress) .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I have a six speed manual gearbox in my car. When I drive my wife's truck, at just about every stoplight I instinctively reach for the clutch pedal and shifter that are not there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad I got my 17 F3T SM6 it will likely be my last new Spyder. They dropped the SM from the RTS in 16 and now they entirely dropped the RTS line which I think is sad. I really dislike the base models with the gray pieces and old style fenders so no chance I'll buy one if them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't mind NOT having a clutch in the right circumstances. For instance I loved my Audi with paddle shift DSG - auto in the city gridlock, full manual in the twisties. If the Spyder's SE was more reliable (barring these reports of shifting issues) I'd consider it for say an RT. But for the sporting RS and ST it would be like putting an automatic in a Ferrari. That being said... even Ferrari is using paddle shifters these days, so I guess the days of the clutch lever are numbered.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm a manual guy. For me, a handful of clutch lever still screams "motorcycle" to me.

I'm also a F3-S guy, so this doesn't really impact me, but when I wear my 2017 out and want something new, they better still have a manual or I'll have to find a new brand. I've heard some great things about the new auto, but sometimes, traditional is less issue prone.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think of it as a "Euro-Sportscar paddle-shifter": it's better than thinking of it as a: "RATS! They stole my motorcycle shifter!! "

Spyder Garage

Glad I don't have a clutch lever to pull anymore fingers get painful in city traffic keep my old Honda naked wing around when I feel the need to pull a clutch it doesn't get used much .
    Last edited by rustynail51; 09-23-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someday, a clutch lever will be a theft deterrent to bike thieves, much like a standard stick shift is to car thieves.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The clutch and the shifter are still there: it's just that "Another Force" has control of them!
    Perhaps a kit that gets you back to "SM configuration", will become available?

Spyder Garage

I've demo'd the semi-autos three times. By the third time it felt less foreign and weird, but I still dislike having it shift on its own. If I want a different ratio, I'll choose it, thank you. I'd be happier if it would either stay in the gear I selected or was an infinite CVT, like a scooter, snowmobile, or Aprilia Mana.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Groan....jpg
    They don't shift "on their own". If you don't upshift it: you'll stay in whatever gear you're in!
    (But they WILL downshift, if they get the sense that the rpms are dropping too low...)