Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New bikes - what they could have done better

Given owners of older bikes a choice!
    I’ve read a lot about these, both on FB, Spyderlover’s and the Can Am Site – they are nice and other than the audio system and the new dash overall the only change is the colors.

The new dash looks cool and would great to have, but you know, I’ve put a lot of love, time and money in my current bike with add-ons, lights, little touches to make it mine. If I were to upgrade, I’d have to go through that effort and expense all over.

What BRP should do and would be way cool, would be to make these new dashes for older RT bikes, so you could retro-fit your beloved bike with the newest and latest technology. Now that’s something I could spend money on. I realize it may be easier to say than to do, but if it were available, I'd be buying one today.

I didn’t check, but I didn’t see anything on the lights on the bike. Why wouldn’t they offer an upgrade with LED lights from the factory?

I agree they make a fantastic product and unless they come out with a new style, their option for improvement is mostly in the cosmetic line.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you think the business model of NOT encouraging the purchase of new products would work out for them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How do you think the business model of NOT encouraging the purchase of new products would work out for them?
    To be successful in the long run, any business needs to have REALISTIC expectations of it's customers.

If they can make a couple of grand off those existing customers who likely would NEVER buy another new machine.......either because of money or something like failing health, then they would be a couple of grand ahead.

I didn't think I would EVER, NEVER pay more than $25K for a "bike"......and I am damned sure that I won't do that a second time.

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm just not understanding all the negativity since the 2018 lineup announcement. I love my Spyder, I have met lots of new riders (2 and 3 wheel) while I'm out and about, and I pretty much smile inside my helmet the entire time I'm on a ride. I believe I got my money's worth....plus.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There will be many changes before we get our next Spyder. Sometimes changes are big, sometimes not.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I guess I'm just not understanding all the negativity since the 2018 lineup announcement. I love my Spyder, I have met lots of new riders (2 and 3 wheel) while I'm out and about, and I pretty much smile inside my helmet the entire time I'm on a ride. I believe I got my money's worth....plus.
    Totally agree with you on this. Nobody is requiring someone to buy a 2018 model! They are advancing the current platform to make it better. It was pretty damn good to begin with! I like you smile every time I put on my helmet and hit the road. The adventures I have had, will have, and the people I have met, and will meet are all priceless and would not have happened to me if I hadn't bought a Spyder.

We have to understand that there are people in this world that, by nature, are negative. For the most part these people are miserable, and misery loves company. Their goal is to convert other people to be negative as well, and therefore miserable just like they are. They don't want to be the only one at the pity party after all.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the way of the retail marketplace: for better or for worse!

Spyder Garage

Ha! Now I have "Debbie Downer" from Saturday Night Live stuck in my head:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post

We have to understand that there are people in this world that, by nature, are negative. For the most part these people are miserable, and misery loves company. Their goal is to convert other people to be negative as well, and therefore miserable just like they are. They don't want to be the only one at the pity party after all.
    That could be considered a pretty negative post.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I don't see being a realist as being negative.

The 10th anniversary unveiling at the homecoming went over like a fart in church with most people I spoke to up there. New paint and badges.

I guess we've come to expect big things every 3 years from BRP as that is their pattern. 2015 was the F3.... many of us hoped they'd really do something big.... like the turbo they've teased us all with. That would be a big deal.

Most I know are not thrilled with any of the new offerings. Sure the dash is kinda cool, but not enough for most to upgrade. Guess I'm just more of a performance kinda guy.. give me some HP and speed!

AWD would be a huge game changer as well. Imagine the handling..... ahhh.. a guy can dream....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's face it Dan:
    If the Spyders had 1,200 horsepower, weighed 27 pounds, cornered at 2Gs, and got 450 mpg: you'd STILL want more!

Spyder Garage

Let's face it Dan:
    If the Spyders had 1,200 horsepower, weighed 27 pounds, cornered at 2Gs, and got 450 mpg: you'd STILL want more!

its human nature

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Let's face it Dan:
    Yes, we would.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Linda also came up with the idea about making the dash set up as an add on accessory for earlier models.

It would be predicated on whether or not the unit is plug and play. Beyond that, it is probably way above the pay grade for most "technicians."

The other piece--they are not going to make such a thing available until they have sold a bunch of new units. Don't expect something like that for at least a year--if ever. Just our .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

HD came out with 10 new motorcycles for 2018. Rider magazine gave HD the Motorcycle of the Year Award for the all 10 package.

There is some nice stuff there--IMO. The "herd" is also dissing them. I am guessing that BRP does not have the financial ability (as in "will") to do R & D on 10 models at a time. This is why the brand grows "painfully slow."

You can also buy a very nice HD, or Indian for what the new packages are costing from BRP. We have caught up with and even surpassed their prices. There is a lot of choice available these days.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If anyone has said this already, I missed it...

All the hype, suspense, and build up of the "release date for the NEW 2018 line up"... for them to say look, it has new gauges and upgraded stereo. Really?!?! That was the big reveal? Am I the only one that sees it as a major let down?

Dont get me wrong, the upgrades are nice, but really... that was it? I was expecting to see redesigned body work, or a new model, or some performance or handling upgrades, etc. not just a new gauge cluster.

Am I alone here?
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Am I the only one that sees it as a major let down? I was expecting to see redesigned body work, or a new model, or some performance or handling upgrades, etc. not just a new gauge cluster.
    Am I alone here?
    You may need to wait a year or two, if the rumors are true, for what you want.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member redneck diva's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

yes more cc's would have been really nice,,,,,,,,, the 1330 is tons better than the 990 was , but an 1800 would be ideal. especially when your doing long trips & pulling a rt622 trailer thru the rockies, gearing down to 3rd was kinda aggravating, but that being said i love my spydy & wouldnt trade it for 2 wheels again,,,,,,,,,
    Redneck Diva

Member of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club Chapter #213--
    Central Georgia
    Proud PGR rider

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    You may need to wait a year or two, if the rumors are true, for what you want.
    Im actually good with them the way they are. I was just shocked that they created such a build up and a dramatic reveal for new gauges! It was reminiscent of the opening of Capone's vault. Hahaha!
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There will be many changes before we get our next Spyder. Sometimes changes are big, sometimes not.
    Yup and in this case change for the sake of change, yippee. I'll hang onto my dollars for now also.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They have Club BRP every year, and if memory serves me correctly, there have been more than a few years where the changes to the Spyder were nothing more than BNG and colors yet they still hyped the unveiling. I wouldn't expect anything less.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default a rocket

Quote Originally Posted by redneck diva View Post
    yes more cc's would have been really nice,,,,,,,,, the 1330 is tons better than the 990 was , but an 1800 would be ideal. especially when your doing long trips & pulling a rt622 trailer thru the rockies, gearing down to 3rd was kinda aggravating, but that being said i love my spydy & wouldnt trade it for 2 wheels again,,,,,,,,,
    1300 c.c. seems like every one is happy with this much more , with the new cooling systems design , but 1800 that is a rocket on 3 wheels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    HD came out with 10 new motorcycles for 2018. Rider magazine gave HD the Motorcycle of the Year Award for the all 10 package.

There is some nice stuff there--IMO. The "herd" is also dissing them. I am guessing that BRP does not have the financial ability (as in "will") to do R & D on 10 models at a time. This is why the brand grows "painfully slow."

You can also buy a very nice HD, or Indian for what the new packages are costing from BRP. We have caught up with and even surpassed their prices. There is a lot of choice available these days.
    Take a look at the New Yamaha Venture, now that’s a upgrade, I have a 2015 RT, lov the bike but come on, first thing you have to do is have it laser aligned so you can drive it, then the 70 mph vribration, poor MPG compared to other Touring bikes, no Bluetooth upgrades to choose from, have to set and wait for the Nanny to boot up, non of these nagging thing have been addressed as far as I know so BRP could and should fix these problems! So if I were to buy a new bike it will not be a new spyder, I will be looking at the new venture, I owned a older venture and I did like it.

Ride safe
    2015 RT L , Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are all most entertaining with regards to your expectations of model year releases.

Remember in the 60's when they prepared for the new model year releases in the automotive industry. They arrived all covered up, they were on TV with covers on them, the dealers stored them in hidden locations, because every year was a major retrofit or new model. My Dad would take me to the Ford and Cevy dealers on that one special night just to see the newest models. Now the auto industry changes a couple lights around a headlight and it is a big deal.

You cannot afford major changes every year any longer, the expenses in development are much different now. Many of you for years have been cracking their heads about your radios, well this year and probably for a few years they have developed a rather exquisite solution, and all you respond with is groans and grunts.

At least a few of you espoused that you want more performance, more power, more speed and ground shaking performance., well I think you. Are going to have to find another vendor. It seems to me that BRP is being very conservative about the performance characteristics of the Spyder. I don't know and can only guess, but I would think that the reason for that is the latigeous nature of especially the USA. Remember, we have more lawyers here than the rest of the world combined, AND we allow them to advertise freely to start litigation, that also is fairly unique.

ok let the shouting begin!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate