Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Let me present a what if

fact 1: If traveling at 55 m/h (55 * 5280 ft per mile) / 60 min/hr = you will travel 4840 ft/min
    fact 2: If traveling at 50 m/h (50 * 5280 ft per mile) / 60 min/hr = you will travel 4400 ft/min
    fact 3: Traveling at 5 m/h (5 * 5280 ft per mile) /60 min /hr = 440 ft/min
    assumption: a car length is 15 ft

situation: You are following a car that is going 50 m/h and the speed limit is 55 m/h. You decide to pass the car and not exceed the speed limit of 55 m/h.
    How long will it take and the distance that you will travel in doing so.

I prefer the safety factor of 1 car length (CL) for 10 m/h, this means that I am 5 * 15 ft behind the car and do not want to pull back in for at least
    5 * 15 ahead of the car (yes truck drivers hate folks that pull right back in front of a truck) plus the car that I am passing is 15 ft. so I will travel
    5 CL + 1 CL + 5 CL = 11 * 15 = 165 ft.
    Now let us figure in the distance that we will be traveling using facts 1 and 2. 4840 ft/min - 4400 ft/min = 440 ft travel per min is the difference between the car and you.
    Now add the safety factor in and we have 440 ft + 165 ft = 605 ft. How long does it take to travel at difference of 5 m/hr.
    Answer is 605 / 440 = 1.375. That means that you are in the oncoming lane of traffic for 1.375 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not wish to be in the oncoming lane that long.

If my math is wrong then please chime in!!!!!!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    fact 1: If traveling at 55 m/h (55 * 5280 ft per mile) / 60 min/hr = you will travel 4840 ft/min
    fact 2: If traveling at 50 m/h (50 * 5280 ft per mile) / 60 min/hr = you will travel 4400 ft/min

situation: You are following a car that is going 50 m/h and the speed limit is 55 m/h. You decide to pass the car and not exceed the speed limit of 55 m/h.

I prefer the safety factor of 1 car length (CL) for 10 m/h, this means that I am 5 * 15 ft behind the car and do not want to pull back in for at least
    5 * 15 ahead of the car (yes truck drivers hate folks that pull right back in front of a truck) plus the car that I am passing is 15 ft. so I will travel
    Now let us figure in the distance that we will be traveling using facts 1 and 2. 4840 ft/min - 4400 ft/min = 440 ft travel per min is the difference between the car and you.
    Now add the safety factor in and we have 440 ft + 165 ft = 605 ft. How long does it take to travel at difference of 5 m/hr.
    Answer is 605 / 440 = 1.375. That means that you are in the oncoming lane of traffic for 1.375 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree--a whole different situation. Not safe here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Retired highway patrol division chief told me this yesterday...........

He was traveling on a 4 lane interstate leading a pack in the number one lane doing 75+ passing slower vehicles in the number two lane. The posted speed limit was 70 mph. At the time, he didn't see the marked unit in the pack about four cars behind him. He could see more slower moving traffic ahead of him so he maintained his position and did not change lanes. Before he new it the marked unit pulled into the number two lane and rolled up beside him and over his loud speaker told him to speed up or pull over because he was impeding traffic. My friend couldn't believe what the patrolman told him. The rules of the road aren't what they used to be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All that you're doing, is trying to justify exceeding a posted Speed Limit...
    If it's not safe to pass: just don't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Safety in mind.

Surely any speed limit set on any road is to ensure that drivers do not endanger other road users.
    If every driver was likely to get a ticket for 1 or less than 1 mph over the posted limit IMHO
    it would create a situation where all road users are concentrating on their speedometer and thus
    not fully concentrating on the road ahead and that is a very dangerous precedent especially at higher speeds. We know that
    bike/car speedos are not accurate. Personally I tend to use the speed indication on my SATNAV
    which is more accurate.

Spyder Garage

Some of you cry babies in the U.S. who want to speed all the time, chew on this--- as seen in Ontario----

588948.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's 30+ MPH over the limit for us South of the Border folks. I would say, in most cases, that is justified. Now if only we could get the wrong way drivers and drunks off the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It says that the maximum fine is $10,000. That should be the starting point!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why do we focus on the police doing his Job? Why not the 1 mile speeder, he broke the law?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Why do we focus on the police doing his Job? Why not the 1 mile speeder, he broke the law?
    As with all laws a bit of common sense should be applied. There is no way a mass produced speedometer could be manufactured with a tolerance of 1 MPH nor is there any way to keep the original error rate in place after a bunch of miles, change of tires, etc.

In this case the cop was using his LEO position to harass someone who was well within the spirit of the law. He needs an attitude adjustment.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On a two lane road is it okay to go over the speed limit in the process of passing then slowing down to the speed limit after passing?
    As of this past legislative session in Idaho it is, up to 15 mph over the posted limit on a two lane, two way, highway. I don't know how far past the car you passed you can stay at the higher speed. I guess I'll have to find the law and read it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I won't speak for other areas but on long island when you are on the northern state or long island expressway if you follow the
    speed limit you would have a backup all day for at least 20 to 30 miles which would make the roads safer except for the fact
    no police or ambulance outside of helicopter would be able to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and that backup
    would probably run from 6am until midnight. These speed limits are made very generalized for drivers but perhaps if dmv were more strict on who gets a license the roads might be far more safe even if the speed limit were raised 10mph.
    Safety isn't made up just from speed it is the vehicle and the drivers capability that is in my opinion equal or more important to safety.
    I have seen many who perhaps text, shoot heroin or talk on cell while driving which if you are capable is ok but most can not drive and
    do so and should not be driving no matter what their speed.

Spyder Garage

There is a certain municipality in my area that is mostly rural with single houses scattered here and there. 2 lane roads. Mostly farm fields and pastures. The general speed limit of local roads is 35mph with a one spot of 20mph for about 1/2mile approaching a single lane underpass, and 45mph for state maintained roads. Where is the common sense in that? The local police department makes very little attempt to enforce these limits. they are simply too silly to make any sense.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I have seen many who perhaps text, shoot heroin or talk on cell while driving which if you are capable is ok but most can not drive and
    do so and should not be driving no matter what their speed.
    That last sentence tells me you have absolutely NO CLUE and my advice to you is to

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    That last sentence tells me you have absolutely NO CLUE and my advice to you is to
    And what is that comment supposed to mean? you never knew there are those who text & drive, perhaps you should stay away
    from the freebase or lsd.
    oh i am sorry i didn't mean to get personal against your personal attack, i must be a real jerk to do so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Groan....jpg

Let's play nice..l The weekend is almost here!

Spyder Garage

You can easily see what I was referring to because I quoted your sentence.
    You said "It's OK if you are capable" after you mentioned text, shoot heroin or talk on the phone while driving.
    I suppose you'll now say you were joking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    You can easily see what I was referring to because I quoted your sentence.
    You said "It's OK if you are capable" after you mentioned text, shoot heroin or talk on the phone while driving.
    I suppose you'll now say you were joking.
    Again i am sorry you don't know obvious sarcasm, i admit it is my fault that you are not smart enough to realize it.
    Now are you going to tell me that there are not those who are capable of talking on a phone while driving or fiddling with a radio
    while driving if so i will agree with you and that police should pull over before using their radio. If you don't want sarcasm then i will say
    this i don't think a police officer can correctly judge the speed of vehicle within 0.67mph accurately. If you are accurate 70% of the
    time then remember when you get a c- in high school you are not considered smart, if your doctor is accurate 70% of the time how
    much do you trust him?
    Now please don't take this the wrong way but i think you are a schmuck and i very much respect the police and what they stand for
    but i judge each on their own not just by the uniform they wear.

P.S. how do you feel about a police officer in his personal car that gets pulled over for speeding, shows his badge and is then
    let go without a ticket? Are you in favor of prejudice or discrimination? Would you report the officer that let that happen?
    Last edited by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN; 09-23-2017 at 07:18 AM.