Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default The old Spyder tyre quandry

    I recently purchased the Vee Rubber tires from Sears (yes they are still in business) for an excellent price (see below).

    Just an FYI (these are also the latest serial numbers)

    Vee Rubber VTR-350 Arachnid Front 165/55R15 Can Am Spyder Motorcycle Tire - V35003
    Size: 26.0 x 12.0 x 26.0

    Condition: New
    Sold by Motorcycle/ATV Maniac
    Marketplace
    Mfr# V35003
    Part# SPM13587250419
    PRICE QTY ITEM SUBTOTAL
    69.05 2 138.10
    ITEM DETAILS
    Vee Rubber VTR-350 Arachnid Touring Rear 225/50R15 Can Am Spyder Motorcycle Tire - V35004
    Size: 26.0 x 12.0 x 26.0

    Condition: New
    Sold by Motorcycle/ATV Maniac
    Marketplace
    Mfr# V35004
    Part# SPM13587250519
    PRICE QTY ITEM SUBTOTAL
    111.40 1 111.40
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  2. #2
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,873
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    the fronts are not a problem but they have the rears, can they install them too?

  3. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    That front looks OK but I wouldn't use the rear.

    ANY tire on a motorcycle with uninterrupted tread grooves down the middle of the tire (this one has 2), will tend to follow grooves in the pavement and make the handling feel unstable.

    Of course that problem would be more pronounced on the fronts, probably, but I wouldn't take a chance.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  4. #4
    Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,095
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Good luck, most that try them give them thumbs down.
    2012 RT Limited (Traded)
    2016 F3 Limited
    2010 Vulcan Voyager
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    29,858
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default We'll see....

    Now that you have them, and at a good price, have them put on, any dealer will put them on as they are for motorcycle use, and get back to us with a review. They have not gotten good reviews yet I have been running a rear Arachnid for some 5,000 miles and it has done well. I did have to adjust the tire pressure I was used to on the Kendas which did well for me also. I am an aggressive ryder and will see how long this rear tire will last. The kendas got me over 15,000 each and 33,000 on the fronts. You be the judge.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  6. #6
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    3
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Thumbs up Thanks for sharing!

    This info is helpful, and I appreciate you putting it out there for us. Obviously some have shared their input, but I agree that what will really help is your feedback on how they perform for you, and with respect to any of the detractions (grooved pavement etc) noted. Thanks again, and please keep us updated!
    Mhbenz

  7. #7
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Don't see the big deal here

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That front looks OK but I wouldn't use the rear.

    ANY tire on a motorcycle with uninterrupted tread grooves down the middle of the tire (this one has 2), will tend to follow grooves in the pavement and make the handling feel unstable.

    Of course that problem would be more pronounced on the fronts, probably, but I wouldn't take a chance.
    VEE RubberKenda

    What's the difference in middle grooves???? I don't see any, do you?? My stock Kenda is the same thing and I have never had a highway groove problem.
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    What's the difference in middle grooves???? I don't see any, do you?? My stock Kenda is the same thing and I have never had a highway groove problem.
    I didn't say that they are "different".
    I said that I might not like the way they track in some situations.

    Have you ever gone across a steel grated bridge ?
    There is a really "good" one across the Ohio river at Paducah, KY; US 45 I think.

    It will test your nerves. If you are on 2 wheels and have a center groove in either of your tires, it will REALLY be a test.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  9. #9
    Active Member rays hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hiram Ga.
    Posts
    287
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I didn't say that they are "different".
    I said that I might not like the way they track in some situations.

    Have you ever gone across a steel grated bridge ?
    There is a really "good" one across the Ohio river at Paducah, KY; US 45 I think.

    It will test your nerves. If you are on 2 wheels and have a center groove in either of your tires, it will REALLY be a test.
    Test ? It's a test in a full size pickup. I would not want to cross it on a motorcycle, 2 or 3 wheels.
    .
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

  10. #10
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I didn't say that they are "different".
    I said that I might not like the way they track in some situations.

    Have you ever gone across a steel grated bridge ?
    There is a really "good" one across the Ohio river at Paducah, KY; US 45 I think.

    It will test your nerves. If you are on 2 wheels and have a center groove in either of your tires, it will REALLY be a test.

    Try driving in Chicago.....all the bridges are steel grates, but a little wiggling won't hurt anyone. Cars do the same thing, but 3 wheels are better than 2!!!
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    Try driving in Chicago.....all the bridges are steel grates, but a little wiggling won't hurt anyone. Cars do the same thing, but 3 wheels are better than 2!!!
    If you are talking about the bridges over the Chicago river, those are what, maybe 150 feet long ?
    The bridge I mentioned is close to a MILE long.

    And I think that a "little wiggling" can indeed hurt some riders.....if they are unskilled, inexperienced or very high strung.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  12. #12
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If you are talking about the bridges over the Chicago river, those are what, maybe 150 feet long ?
    The bridge I mentioned is close to a MILE long.

    And I think that a "little wiggling" can indeed hurt some riders.....if they are unskilled, inexperienced or very high strung.

    Granted, these bridges are not long, but remember you are in anywhere from 3-5 lanes of Chicago traffic and you are not really staying in your lane.....that is unnerving.....!!!!
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    Granted, these bridges are not long, but remember you are in anywhere from 3-5 lanes of Chicago traffic and you are not really staying in your lane.....that is unnerving.....!!!!
    I have driven in and around Chicago for about 50 years.
    Maybe I missed that bridge that has an open metal hash grate and is more than 2 lanes wide AND where the traffic moves at more than 30 MPH.

    The one and only time I went over the Ohio bridge, I met a semi coming the other way.
    And the lanes are VERY narrow.....and the speed was a bit over 30.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  14. #14
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Chicago bridges

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I have driven in and around Chicago for about 50 years.
    Maybe I missed that bridge that has an open metal hash grate and is more than 2 lanes wide AND where the traffic moves at more than 30 MPH.

    The one and only time I went over the Ohio bridge, I met a semi coming the other way.
    And the lanes are VERY narrow.....and the speed was a bit over 30.

    The one on the Congress Expressway is 3 or 4 lanes wide (going under the post office) and the traffic is moving more than 30 mph. The one on Michigan Ave is also wider than 2 lanes, plus remember, you are dealing with Chicago taxis and other traffic and also trying to avoid pedestrians who don't look or care about when or where they cross the streets.

    I think we have beat this to death now.....the main thing is steel grate bridges are not great (sorry, but someone had to say it).

    The main thing here is the discussion of the center longitudinal treads on the rear tire, which appears on all tires built for the Spyder that I have seen. Whether it causes problems on bridges remains to be seen because car tires are the same and experience this type of problem, so there is not much of a solved issue here, except to stay off of steel grate bridges.....
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  15. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,115
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    The main thing here is the discussion of the center longitudinal treads on the rear tire, which appears on all tires built for the Spyder that I have seen.
    Which is kind of odd I think.
    Might be a good reason for a car tire......if any other reasons are really needed. They don't all have that center groove.

    It's not as much of a problem with a car because not all 4 tires will hit a groove going the same way at the same time; not even both tires on the same axle. And whatever movement there is won't be felt as much in a car.

    P.S. Try to stay out from under the L tracks too. Stuff falls off of them on a regular basis.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  16. #16
    Active Member Big Juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Posts
    110
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Boy, am I confused now! Glad I don't need tires yet on my first Spyder!

    O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T

  17. #17
    Registered Users qwed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default No need for confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    Boy, am I confused now! Glad I don't need tires yet on my first Spyder!
    Sorry if all the rhetoric has confused you (we kind of got off on a tangent with Chicago bridges) but I have spoke to several dealers about VEE Rubber and they seem to agree that if the tires have been designed for Spyder's with their ABS and Traction control systems in mind and the handling, then they should be OK. I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control and this is what you really need to be concerned about. Frankly, I decided to try the VEE Rubber tires this go-around and I will let this forum know what I experience.
    If you buy tires that are made for the bike, there should be no problem no matter whose you buy......stay tuned for the test, which will probably not happen till next riding season.....I don't plan to change them till I pack the little lady up for the season.
    Hope that clears things up.....
    Best Regards,

    qwed1

    McHenry, IL

  18. #18
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    11,648
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Spyder tires " for special motorcycle use only "

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    Sorry if all the rhetoric has confused you (we kind of got off on a tangent with Chicago bridges) but I have spoke to several dealers about VEE Rubber and they seem to agree that if the tires have been designed for Spyder's with their ABS and Traction control systems in mind and the handling, then they should be OK. I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control and this is what you really need to be concerned about. Frankly, I decided to try the VEE Rubber tires this go-around and I will let this forum know what I experience.
    If you buy tires that are made for the bike, there should be no problem no matter whose you buy......stay tuned for the test, which will probably not happen till next riding season.....I don't plan to change them till I pack the little lady up for the season.
    Hope that clears things up.....
    #1 ... on this forum it's well documented that Vee rubber ties and Kenda's are poorly made and MARGINAL at best .... the info on the sidewall isn't a recommendation of quality .... IT'S A WARNING - don't use this tire on ANY other vehicle because even on a Smart Car ( the lightest car available ) ... it will fail very early in it's claimed life span ......" If you have either one ...I'll for you "......This quote is based on Tire Science not a guess ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-27-2017 at 06:18 PM.

  19. #19
    Very Active Member Peteoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harrington, Australia
    Posts
    1,974
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    Sorry if all the rhetoric has confused you (we kind of got off on a tangent with Chicago bridges) but I have spoke to several dealers about VEE Rubber and they seem to agree that if the tires have been designed for Spyder's with their ABS and Traction control systems in mind and the handling, then they should be OK. I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control and this is what you really need to be concerned about. Frankly, I decided to try the VEE Rubber tires this go-around and I will let this forum know what I experience.
    If you buy tires that are made for the bike, there should be no problem no matter whose you buy......stay tuned for the test, which will probably not happen till next riding season.....I don't plan to change them till I pack the little lady up for the season.
    Hope that clears things up.....
    It's all been done before, qwed. There are a gazillion (well maybe a million) Kenda, Vee and car tyre reviews on the Forum. If you want to find out how car tyres perform with nanny, a bit of a search will yield a great many reviews, which don't have any issues with nanny and car tyres. Some swear by car tyres and some swear by the Kendas. It all comes down to personal preference, of course, but I have chosen to go with car tyres for the safety reasons expressed by Mike and Peter A due to their significant detailed knowledge and real world credentials, added to the weight my F3-L is carrying. Personally, I find the Kuhmos far more planted and confidence inspiring for my style of riding than the Kendas ever were.

    I look forward to your review.

    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

    2016 F3 Limited - Setup for Tall.... 6'7", 330lbs, 38"inleg.
    Lamonster RIP Boards in Position#5
    F4 25" F3-L screen fitted to Madstad adjustable hardware.
    Russell Daylong custom seat with driver 1.5" rearset, 1.5" taller
    Lamonster Billy Club handlebars
    ECU Xtreme Stage 2 retune
    Bajaron Stabiliser Bar
    Wilber 630/640 shocks
    Kuhmo KH17 175/60 fronts-18psi / KU22 205/55 rear-20psi

  20. #20
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    11,648
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default TIRES ETC

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It's all been done before, qwed. There are a gazillion (well maybe a million) Kenda, Vee and car tyre reviews on the Forum. If you want to find out how car tyres perform with nanny, a bit of a search will yield a great many reviews, which don't have any issues with nanny and car tyres. Some swear by car tyres and some swear by the Kendas. It all comes down to personal preference, of course, but I have chosen to go with car tyres for the safety reasons expressed by Mike and Peter A due to their significant detailed knowledge and real world credentials, added to the weight my F3-L is carrying. Personally, I find the Kuhmos far more planted and confidence inspiring for my style of riding than the Kendas ever were.

    I look forward to your review.

    Pete
    Pete , you are making me cry with your accolade about my ability ( but it is true & and the same goes for Peter A. , IMHO ...... Thanks

  21. #21
    Very Active Member Peteoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harrington, Australia
    Posts
    1,974
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete , you are making me cry with your accolade about my ability ( but it is true & and the same goes for Peter A. , IMHO ...... Thanks
    How DARE you ! At no stage did I say you had "ability".......

    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

    2016 F3 Limited - Setup for Tall.... 6'7", 330lbs, 38"inleg.
    Lamonster RIP Boards in Position#5
    F4 25" F3-L screen fitted to Madstad adjustable hardware.
    Russell Daylong custom seat with driver 1.5" rearset, 1.5" taller
    Lamonster Billy Club handlebars
    ECU Xtreme Stage 2 retune
    Bajaron Stabiliser Bar
    Wilber 630/640 shocks
    Kuhmo KH17 175/60 fronts-18psi / KU22 205/55 rear-20psi

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwed1 View Post
    Sorry if all the rhetoric has confused you (we kind of got off on a tangent with Chicago bridges) but I have spoke to several dealers about VEE Rubber and they seem to agree that if the tires have been designed for Spyder's with their ABS and Traction control systems in mind and the handling, then they should be OK. I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control and this is what you really need to be concerned about. Frankly, I decided to try the VEE Rubber tires this go-around and I will let this forum know what I experience.
    If you buy tires that are made for the bike, there should be no problem no matter whose you buy......stay tuned for the test, which will probably not happen till next riding season.....I don't plan to change them till I pack the little lady up for the season.
    Hope that clears things up.....
    How did these tires work out for you?

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Columbia,Tennessee
    Posts
    239
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Me too. I need a nap now.

  24. #24
    Very Active Member pegasus1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City,Utah
    Posts
    2,773
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    the statement " I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control " should give the answer but in case it didn't yes car tires work just fine with the ABS and the traction control. I have been running a car tire on my 2012RTL for over35,000miles and it has worked great. I will continue to use car tires on the rear of my Spyder when I replace this one which will be this spring.

    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

    2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

  25. #25
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    11,648
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    the statement " I have also seen the YouTubes about car tires and that they handle fine, but I have heard nothing about how well they work with the Spyder ABS or Traction Control " should give the answer but in case it didn't yes car tires work just fine with the ABS and the traction control. I have been running a car tire on my 2012RTL for over35,000miles and it has worked great. I will continue to use car tires on the rear of my Spyder when I replace this one which will be this spring.
    ...…….. I've travelled close to 100,000 mi. on my GS - RSS -and RT all with auto tires of various brands …. never had any issue with the Traction control or VSS …………. other than the auto tires had more traction so the VSS spoke to me more frequently ….. not a bad thing ……. Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •