Spyder Garage

Angry Rear wheel bearing

My bike is at dealer to replace rear wheel bearing on a 2013rt limited. They are telling me BRP does not stock them (even though their service bulletin says to change every 28,000 miles).
    So they cannot give me a date of when part will be in. Does anyone know if this is true or is dealer blowing smoke up my , you know what.
    I scheduled it three weeks out , so you would think they would of ordered them

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

NSK 6205 is the bearing #. very common bearing. no excuse for the shop not to have them on hand.

Spyder Garage

I replaced all my bearings when I changed my tire, dealer had the 2 different bearings & seals in stock...
    These are very common parts, if not in stock they should be able to get them in within 3 days.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I just ordered rear wheel bearings on 9/10 from Elk Grove Power Sports thru BRP and received them yesterday 9/18. Your dealer probably didn't order them until they had yours apart and verified that they were bad.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    NSK 6205 is the bearing #. very common bearing. no excuse for the shop not to have them on hand.
    True.. but the double row bearing isn't as common. You need 2 of the 6205 and one of the double row to do the job correctly.

Still should be able to get it from a dealer within 2-3 days. Mine has no problem getting them quickly.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

They have to deal with BRP but you don't. Cheapcycleparts.com stocks oem parts and shipping is as fast as you want it. I always have a set on hand and they have much better prices...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    True.. but the double row bearing isn't as common. You need 2 of the 6205 and one of the double row to do the job correctly.

Still should be able to get it from a dealer within 2-3 days. Mine has no problem getting them quickly.
    yeah, I just changed mine a couple weeks ago. sourced mine off of amazon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

actually, the double row bearing in the hub is nothing special. it is a common a/c compressor clutch bearing . the part# is 30BD40DF2. should be on hand at about any parts store for about $20 bucks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both of the bearings and the all the seals are shown as available on the BRP parts page. Your dealer isn't blowing smoke up your rear. He's too lazy to do even that much!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Discovered this morning, bearings arrived yesterday. Looks like the parts guy did his job. But the service desk guy was smoking. The only issue I have now is they need to replace in his words parking brake motor, I told him it should be covered under warranty. They will let me know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've got the wheel off to change a tire: replace the bearings at the same time.
    It is the handiest time to do it, and there's nothing wrong with being cautious with bearings!
    (They never quit working at a convenient time anyway... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    actually, the double row bearing in the hub is nothing special. it is a common a/c compressor clutch bearing . the part# is 30BD40DF2. should be on hand at about any parts store for about $20 bucks.

Right, but still not as common as the other. I also wouldn't trust just any brand from any parts place. If you use the one from BRP (around $22) then they can hardly place blame on you using a non-OEM bearing.

Years ago I looked into getting all these bearings for a better price than BRP.... and it was pretty much a wash as the BRP prices are not that bad.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Living in Canton, Ohio, I would have to insist on genuine Timken Bearings, there are none better. I know the company, I know their reputation and I know the people that make them.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Bearings

I have 21000 miles on my 2013 RT Ltd and just had --had-- to replace the bearings. The outer one on the right was only half there. Had a hell of a time getting that one out, finally took the whole hub to a local machine shop. Ended up calling 3 different spyder dealerships before I found a complete set of 3 bearings. (We can order all those for you, about 10 days or so....) I think for the price, I'll order a set to have on hand.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Wheel Bearings

I purchased a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT Roadster with 10,000 miles on it. It had had a tire replaced on it at about 7500 miles. I have put about 4,000 miles on it and plan to replace the rear tire with a Yokohama tire. When I first got it I checked the belt for alignment and found it seemed to me the tension was pretty tight. I did back it off a little. If it had been run with to much tension could that have any effect on the wheel bearings? When I do change the rear tire should the bearings be change with no more miles than it has?

I have found on cheapcycleparts.com three bearings 1 double Row #293350065, and 2- bearings #293350053, 2 Seals #293200094 and 1 O’ring #29330124. Is this all I would need to replace the bearing in the rear drive? And one other question is there any problem removing the bearings & seals to replace them. I usually but the bearings in a freezer over night before trying to press then in their holder.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIGHER QUALITY BEARINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    In over 40 years of playing with motorcycles I have never replaced a wheel bearing and several of my bikes had over 100,000 miles on them. I know the rear wheel on the Spyder takes a beating and the loads are different than a two wheeler, but after working with bearings in an industrial environment I also know there should be no need to worry about the rear bearings. Obviously one place Can Am chose to save a buck during production was wheel bearings. There are several quality "levels" of the same size bearing and motorcycle wheels use pretty much the lowest one. If I'm going to replace mine I will take them to a store where they sell industrial bearings and seals and get the highest quality item I can and probably still pay less than a dealer will charge for crap bearings. It doesn't matter whose name is on the bearing as all manufacturers make different precision levels of bearings. 99% of bearing failures begin at installation. A hammer, punch, and a wooden block are not proper tools for bearing installation. Motorcycle wheels actually turn very low RPM's and if our Spyders need new bearings at every tire change that to me is a design flaw.
    , When you find the size ... please come back and post the brand & part # ........... Thanks from all of us ..... Mike