Spyder Garage

Default Vibration in engine 2017 f3 se6

hello all. i have a very strange issue that i was hoping someone could shed a light on. New 17 f3 se6 with just over 1000 miles on it. since the beginning i noticed a vibration in the engine (at least i think that is where it is coming from) when i pull out from a stop. you can see the mirrors shake and can feel it in the handlebars and seat. i thought it was bad gas at first, so i filled it up with a different octane and boom! the vibration went away. i thought, okay that was an easy one to solve. well after a while it came back. What i have discovered that is the strange part. when i fill the tank full, there is no vibration. smooth as butter pulling out. after a while when the tank goes down a few bars, the vibration comes back and seems at least to me to get worse as the gas goes down. as soon as a fill it full again, vibration gone, smooth as butter again. any thoughts on what could be causing it? i hope it is not normal as it makes it at least for me, a rather unpleasant ride when there is less than a full tank of gas in it. any help would be greatly appreciated. i called my service dealer and they had never heard of the problem before. taking it in next Friday for them to look at. i just have a feeling they are going to say nothing is wrong, when i just feel something isn't right. thanks in advance or any help

Spyder Garage

Default A WAG!

This sounds like a restriction of the fuel flow, either from a "Venting" problem for the tank or an extremely weak fuel pump. Either could be causing a lean burn in the engine and roughness above idle. This should be evident to the Technician with BUDS.
    Needs to be fixed! Lean burn can cause valves to fail, burnt pistons and other not so good things!

Spyder Garage

Default fuel

that is what i am leaning towards too. it just seems like it couldn't be anything else but a fuel supply issue, but i know nothing about engines and mechanics at all so who knows. it just simply isn't fun to ride in start and stop traffic unless it has a full tank. i am probably being too picky, but for me this was a lot of money and it should be right.

Spyder Garage

Once it starts to vibrate try opening the gas cap and see if it go's away. The gas tank may not be venting and creating a vacuum.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default cap

oooh, i like that thought. and if it would happen to go away after i open the cap, what would be the cure for that?

Spyder Garage

Since it's a '17 it should be under warranty and it is definitely a dealership repair issue IMO. If you turn on the key you should hear the fuel pump priming itself. That would lead me to believe there's more than a fuel pump problem. The fuel pressure is set at 58 psi. and can be checked with B.U.D.S.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default turn on key

when i turn on the key, i hear a high pitched noise for a few seconds. is that what you mean?

Spyder Garage

Don't know if I'd call it high pitched, but it is probably the fuel pump priming itself when the key is turned on.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

turn off the red kill switch then turn on the key. Then turn the kill switch back on that noise you hear most likely is the fuel pump turning on.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edlloyd View Post
    oooh, i like that thought. and if it would happen to go away after i open the cap, what would be the cure for that?
    probably a bad purge valve/emission system issue
    I would report it to BRP ASAP!

Spyder Garage

when i turn on the key, i hear a high pitched noise for a few seconds. is that what you mean?
    Yes, the fuel pump priming is kind of high pitched -- at least on my '14.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

hello all. i have a very strange issue that i was hoping someone could shed a light on. New 17 f3 se6 with just over 1000 miles on it. since the beginning i noticed a vibration in the engine (at least i think that is where it is coming from) when i pull out from a stop. you can see the mirrors shake and can feel it in the handlebars and seat. i thought it was bad gas at first, so i filled it up with a different octane and boom! the vibration went away. i thought, okay that was an easy one to solve. well after a while it came back. What i have discovered that is the strange part. when i fill the tank full, there is no vibration. smooth as butter pulling out. after a while when the tank goes down a few bars, the vibration comes back and seems at least to me to get worse as the gas goes down. as soon as a fill it full again, vibration gone, smooth as butter again. any thoughts on what could be causing it? i hope it is not normal as it makes it at least for me, a rather unpleasant ride when there is less than a full tank of gas in it. any help would be greatly appreciated. i called my service dealer and they had never heard of the problem before. taking it in next Friday for them to look at. i just have a feeling they are going to say nothing is wrong, when i just feel something isn't right. thanks in advance or any help
    Would like to know if you resolved this issue with the vibration you are having as I have a 2017 RT Limited that now has 456 miles on it and went on our first ride this weekend I also noticed a vibration when pulling off from a stop I tried slow pull offs ...still there I tried faster pull off and it still vibrates I did not take notice of the gas tank situation you explained just decided that its brand new and things need to settle in, but now reading your post I am concerned about this vibration. Please let me know if you resolved this issue so I can take it in if needed. Thank you

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White