Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery trickle charger vs. Battery Tender??

Hi Guys,

Newbie here, and just bought my Spyder F-3 S 2015. I am in chilly Canada and would love to know what is best for Spyder storage...Battery trickle charger or Battery tender? I read the manual and it did say a Trickle charger can be used but I've also read online that alot of owners prefer the Floating Tender? Which do you think is best for a place that can get below -30C?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a battery tender

Spyder Garage

Do you pull your battery for the Winter months? Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

Spyder Garage

Have used tender for years. No issues. When I used a trickle charger I had issues. Tenders win.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

If the "trickle" charger does not have the ability to switch to a float charge then I wouldn't bother with it personally. The Battery Tender is the way to go. It is smart enough to deal with temps, sulfation, float charging and even bring back completely dead batteries in most cases....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Battery "Tenders" will only charge when needed, and are the better and safer choice.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skyla View Post
    Hi Guys,

Newbie here, and just bought my Spyder F-3 S 2015. I am in chilly Canada and would love to know what is best for Spyder storage...Battery trickle charger or Battery tender?
    To be anal about it, trickle charger is an indefinite term used for both actual 'trickle' chargers and battery maintainers. Battery tender is like the name Xerox, a brand name that has become a generic term. Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer. What's the difference? A trickle charger often refers to a charger that puts out a constant low level electrical current. As said above those will destroy your battery. A maintainer, or 'float' charger senses the battery condition and puts out an intermittent charge just great enough and often enough to keep the battery fully charged but not over charged.

Battery Tender brand is one of the most recommended but I use one from NAPA and it works great. There are other quality brands out there also such as Schumacher.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys,

Newbie here, and just bought my Spyder F-3 S 2015. I am in chilly Canada and would love to know what is best for Spyder storage...Battery trickle charger or Battery tender? I read the manual and it did say a Trickle charger can be used but I've also read online that alot of owners prefer the Floating Tender? Which do you think is best for a place that can get below -30C?
    I moved from Northern BC to the warmer area in the lower mainland of BC. While in the north, our temps would drop to -40 and stay there for a week or more. I always used a battery tender on my goldwing which was kept in a cold storage garage. Non riding season lasted for 5 to 6 months. I never pulled the battery, always just used the tender and had NO problems. Just make sure you leave the unit alone....don't go out on a semi warm day and start the unit. Leave it alone until it's time to start riding again. Make sure that you put fuel stabilizer in, fill the tank and ride for about a half hour before you park it for winter.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATT TRICKLE CHARGER ...VS... BATT MAINTAINER

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    To be anal about it, trickle charger is an indefinite term used for both actual 'trickle' chargers and battery maintainers. Battery tender is like the name Xerox, a brand name that has become a generic term. Battery Tender is a brand of battery maintainer. What's the difference? A trickle charger often refers to a charger that puts out a constant low level electrical current. As said above those will destroy your battery. A maintainer, or 'float' charger senses the battery condition and puts out an intermittent charge just great enough and often enough to keep the battery fully charged but not over charged.

Battery Tender brand is one of the most recommended but I use one from NAPA and it works great. There are other quality brands out there also such as Schumacher.
    ......... But He said it first .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

I use the ones from Cycle Gear and have had no issues with them. I have both the large and the small ones. The large one has a recycle mode to try to Desulfate a bad battery.

Spyder Garage

I have used the "Battery Tender" brand for years. I plug it into the rear top trunk 12 volt outlet, which is always hot as I switched the fuse. My spends about 6 months of any given year in my garage on it, and it has never failed to start right up every spring. And this on the original battery. So that's where my vote goes.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Very timely question posted and info supplied, as winter will be here before you know it.

One of the CanAm dealers in my area (the one where I bought my Spyder) stocks "Deltran" battery tenders for "about $40". Any opinions about them (good or bad or indifferent)? My Syder came with a cable for a battery tender installed by the dealer, but I'm not sure what the connector on that cable is called - The dealer said the Deltran battery tender will be compatible with the connector, but I don't want to get a low quality battery tender if I can help it.

So, does anyone have any opinon about "Deltran"?

Thanks!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    So, does anyone have any opinon about "Deltran"?
    Deltran is the manufacturer's name of the Battery Tender brand.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Its all in the title...chargers basically charge low or dead batteries and come many sizes and amperage. Some float or shut off when charged. Maintainers, such as the Battery Tenders, keep a charged battery charged but will not charge a low or dead battery. Some have found out the hard way.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Deltran Battery Tender

I have 6 Deltran battery tenders on 6 different vehicles! Had one stop working (think red light would not go to green). I checked it with another one to make sure my connections was good. I think it faulted maybe because I would "unplug it" from the battery and still keep it "plugged in" into the 110 volt wall outlet. Funny, the last one I bought feels "weightless" next to a older one I have. It still seems to work ok though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read the manual and it did say a Trickle charger can be used .........
    The problem here is: That the term "trickle charger" covers too many different things.
    Using the wrong small "dumb" charger can cause battery damage if used over a long term.

To be safe, you need to spend a couple of extra bucks and get a "tender type" small fully automatic maintenance charger.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just go get yourself a Deltran Battery Tender Junior: your bike's battery will thank you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Deltran is the brand I have always used. Never had a problem and they sell some useful accessories.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just go get yourself a Deltran Battery Tender Junior: your bike's battery will thank you!
    ​+1
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default maintainer

My maintainer of choice is a Schumacher SP3-CA around 50 bucks, have seen them at Walmart, and they have a digital readout
    and 3 different ways to connect to your bike.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Its all in the title...chargers basically charge low or dead batteries and come many sizes and amperage. Some float or shut off when charged. Maintainers, such as the Battery Tenders, keep a charged battery charged but will not charge a low or dead battery. Some have found out the hard way.
    Personally I prefer the ones that float. Nothing like seeing the Spyder floating above the floor a couple of feet! I do not know of any brands that will not shut off now when charge is up. They will fluctuate on and off automatically to maintain a charge. I do disconnect for a few days once every couple of months and let the battery deplete some then reconnect. This method is not based on any scientific fact but is recommended by "Al Gore".

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I do not know of any brands that will not shut off now when charge is up.
    Nobody can argue with that.
    But just because you don't know about any.....does not mean that they don't exist.

Spyder Garage

+1 Deltran Battery Tender Junior
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Al Gore

Who is this Al Gore you speak of ?
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick