Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake issues

I bought a 2017 RT Ltd in April, I have had it in the shop twice because the parking Brake has locked in "Set" position and wouldn't unset, then it wouldn't Set, then the red light stayed on solid red and didn't flash, but was no set. Luckily I have been able to get it home each time and to the dealer. The computer reveals the date and time of the mishaps. Can Am BRP techs say they have had NO, I repeat NO incidences of this happening and it is probably operator error! Is anyone else experiencing this and if so, what has been done. I have had the parking brake switch replaced once.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider View Post
    I bought a 2017 RT Ltd in April, I have had it in the shop twice because the parking Brake has locked in "Set" position and wouldn't unset, then it wouldn't Set, then the red light stayed on solid red and didn't flash, but was no set. Luckily I have been able to get it home each time and to the dealer. The computer reveals the date and time of the mishaps. Can Am BRP techs say they have had NO, I repeat NO incidences of this happening and it is probably operator error! Is anyone else experiencing this and if so, what has been done. I have had the parking brake switch replaced once.
    That's weird ... haven't had that happen yet (knock on wood).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake Trouble

My 2011 had the same problem. Took it to the deal and he hold me the same thing. I wasn.t satisfied so I got to looking at the PB return spring. Noticed the it was bent and was not allowing the brake to be release every time. Ordered a new return spring from the dealer ($7.50) installed it problem solved.

Spyder Garage

Not operator error. I mean, what could you, the operator, do to create this problem? Might be a stuck pulley, a loose cable, cable off of the pulley, or a bad microswitch.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Lots of comments about this problem on this forum. Your dealer is uninformed.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Do a search...there have been plenty of parking brake issues. I have had the PB motor replaced when the brake would not hold. And then I had the dreaded lock up. The shop adjusted the PB cable and replaced the switch. From what I have seen on this site, the PB switch could cause an intermittent or some of the weird problems.

BTW, my PB was locked up for three days before it made it to the dealer. This time I could not get it to release as I had done before. The dealer called me and told me they could not get the PB to act up. I told them the problem was intermittent and I did not want to get stuck somewhere. That is when they decided to put in the switch and it fixed the problem.

The switches are Carling switches. Very possible to have a bad switch. I think the list price for the switch from BRP is about $16.00. I hardly think BRP would complain if the dealer tried a switch. We use a lot of them in our ambulance repair shop. In fact, we buy big bags of them.

I carry a spare PB switch in my tool bag.

Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner3773; 09-17-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

My PB motor was replaced under warranty early on because it would not hold. Suggest you sent a separate message to brp.care@brp.com, explain the situation and ask for help. I agree, your dealer's technician(s) are misinformed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

electro/hydraulic/mechanical ..... what we're all about.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default PB

Motor issues. Try switch, then motor. Seen it many times; same symptoms. J
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somebody just posted on Facebook about this - they read their owners manual, pulled out the # 3 fuse, cleaned it up, put it back, problem solved. (Also bought more fuses and a fuse puller)

Just passing it on ...

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Issue/Fault

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Somebody just posted on Facebook about this - they read their owners manual, pulled out the # 3 fuse, cleaned it up, put it back, problem solved. (Also bought more fuses and a fuse puller)

Just passing it on ...
    I have a Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 with a parking brake issue. The parking brake fault display came on. Obviously the parking brake cannot be engaged. The manual did say in troubleshooting the issue, the causes were likely fuse #3, or the parking brake sensor. I checked the fuse, and it appeared to be okay. I followed the cable to the rear wheel, and saw what appeared to be a sensor, a couple millimeters, away from making contact from the disc. Is there supposed to be any space between the disc and what I take to be the sensor?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could try a new fuse, even if the current one looks ok. Tricky little things...

Re your question about clearance sensor to disc - I don't know. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issue

My issues have been resolved. My dealer, Sierra Cycles was great at getting to the bottom of this. I had the PB Switch and micro switch replaced and the problem is resolved. The dealer got a case opened with Can Am in Canada and they worked side by side to resolve it.

Spyder Garage

I press the parking brake switch before turning the engine off

It beeps different number of times

Have to press it twice to disengage it after starting up the engine

Is there an easy fix?

Spyder Garage

Happened to me yesterday. Rode my F3 for about 150 mls on Highway, (85 mls/h) Stopped on a rest area, wanted to continue riding after a 5 min break, Park break would not release. I ended up disconnecting the cable so I could contiue riding (with light flashing and message"Park Break" on.
    Anyway: Today after my F3 cooled down over night it worked again. Not sure if I should be happy or not. Could happen any time again.
    I will contact local shop after the weekend and will post any new information as soon as possible.