Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited vs. F3-T - is the Limited worth the premium?

Looking at these two and, at first glance, I'd almost be better off getting the F3-T and adding the top case and heated grips rather than buying the Limited. Seems like I'd come out a couple grand ahead. Am I missing something?
    2011 RTS-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're probably right. The T doesn't have floorboards either so don't forget to add that in - if you want floorboards.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you mentioned the top case on the limited, i assume you are referring to a 2017. Since that would be the case, i would definitely get the f3t so that i would get the larger rear sprocket for the peppier ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Since you mentioned the top case on the limited, i assume you are referring to a 2017. Since that would be the case, i would definitely get the f3t so that i would get the larger rear sprocket for the peppier ride.
    Interesting...I didn't see that referenced anywhere in the literature. So the F3-T is a bit quicker? I wonder why they didn't make the bikes the same.
    2011 RTS-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default labor

dont forget the labor and the heated grips

Spyder Garage

The limited really only makes sense if you want all the chrome AND the topcase, heated grips, floorboards. If you are fine with or prefer the black trim, adding top case, floorboards and grips to an F3T is cheaper and faster unless you can cut a better deal on a leftover limited. (not yet as they just came out).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The LTD also has nicer (to me) chrome front wheels and an electronic rear suspension ("T" suspension is manual).

The ride quality on my LTD is noticeably better than on my F3-S. Also, I can ride the LTD in the curves at higher speeds than the S. I've got a torsion bar to put on the S. Hopefully that will improve its handling.

Spyder Garage

I guess that I should add that we'll be riding 2-up most of the time...
    2011 RTS-SE5

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

Get the ltd. You'll be happy you did.

Spyder Garage

If I wanted the chrome and other bells and whistles, I would pick up a left over 2016 limited, and then add the top box. I just love the extra kick that the larger sprocket gives.

Spyder Garage

Default Get the F3L

Looking at these two and, at first glance, I'd almost be better off getting the F3-T and adding the top case and heated grips rather than buying the Limited. Seems like I'd come out a couple grand ahead. Am I missing something?
    With the 2017 F3L you already have everything as standard and I am starting to see them discounted up to $5000 off.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 vs. 2017 F3 limited

The 2016 F3L has the same rear sprocket at 89 tooth as the F3 series The difference is night and day as the bike really hauls with the quicker gearing. Same get up and go as any F3 minus the traction control of the 2017 F3s which allows more rear wheel spin. You also get the same reduced nanny restrictions as the F3. Heated grips and floor boards for a better touring platform.
    The 2017 besides putting the top box back rest, inherited all the restrictions of the RT platform for 2017. Taller 79 tooth RT gearing that really bogs the motor down vs. the 89 tooth F3 gearing. AND, you get the ridiculous RT nanny restrictions and speed limiter. Have a little fun in a corner and the nanny kicks in, where the 2016 allows my one front tire to be off the ground and a lot more off the line wheel spin. In fact, you would be hard pressed to get any wheel spin with the 79 tooth stock bike. The RT platform has speed restrictions that start to close the throttle butterflies at 92 mph and limits top speed to about 105 mph. My 2016 F3L has the F3 speed restrictions and my bike goes 114 mph pretty quickly.
    But, there is a simple solution for any 79 tooth set up and that's to get it flashed. https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/ Check out the video of a flashed RT and pay attention to the end of the video for how well it does in roll on testing.
    So, I got a better deal on a left over 2016 F3L at $22,000 out the door plus tax. I'm not sure if the 2017 F3T got thrown into the RT category with the 79 tooth sprocket?? For me, the gearing was a huge game changer and thanks to comments from forum users I have the perfect blend of sport and touring.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Totally agree with this! I was even toying with the idea of buying the ten year anniversary edition F3L, but once I rode one, I was very disappointed with the performance, compared to my 16 F3 L. The reason that I bought the L instead of the T is 16, was that I preferred the color scheme more with all one color, oh and the floorboards!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    The 2016 F3L has the same rear sprocket at 89 tooth as the F3 series The difference is night and day as the bike really hauls with the quicker gearing. Same get up and go as any F3 minus the traction control of the 2017 F3s which allows more rear wheel spin. You also get the same reduced nanny restrictions as the F3. Heated grips and floor boards for a better touring platform.
    The 2017 besides putting the top box back rest, inherited all the restrictions of the RT platform for 2017. Taller 79 tooth RT gearing that really bogs the motor down vs. the 89 tooth F3 gearing. AND, you get the ridiculous RT nanny restrictions and speed limiter. Have a little fun in a corner and the nanny kicks in, where the 2016 allows my one front tire to be off the ground and a lot more off the line wheel spin. In fact, you would be hard pressed to get any wheel spin with the 79 tooth stock bike. The RT platform has speed restrictions that start to close the throttle butterflies at 92 mph and limits top speed to about 105 mph. My 2016 F3L has the F3 speed restrictions and my bike goes 114 mph pretty quickly.
    But, there is a simple solution for any 79 tooth set up and that's to get it flashed. https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/ Check out the video of a flashed RT and pay attention to the end of the video for how well it does in roll on testing.
    So, I got a better deal on a left over 2016 F3L at $22,000 out the door plus tax. I'm not sure if the 2017 F3T got thrown into the RT category with the 79 tooth sprocket?? For me, the gearing was a huge game changer and thanks to comments from forum users I have the perfect blend of sport and touring.
    You are loving that 16 F3 L aren't you Dennis?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am still very confused about the sprocket sizes on the 2016, 2017 F3 Models. I had a 2015 F3S and traded in for the 2017 F3T. The 2017 F3T although much more refined does seem to be slower or struggle more at top speeds. I at first thought this was the difference in sprocket size but others say they have the same sprocket. Confused.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I am still very confused about the sprocket sizes on the 2016, 2017 F3 Models. I had a 2015 F3S and traded in for the 2017 F3T. The 2017 F3T although much more refined does seem to be slower or struggle more at top speeds. I at first thought this was the difference in sprocket size but others say they have the same sprocket. Confused.
    Read the entire post that is three posts above yours. Dennis says the 17 has a different rear sprocket than the 16.

Spyder Garage

You do have the same sprocket that you had on the F3s, but you do have a bit more weight to carry around.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Read the entire post that is three posts above yours. Dennis says the 17 has a different rear sprocket than the 16.
    I did several times was still confused so his is my interpretation:

F3 Base = all years 79 tooth sprocket
    2015 F3S = 89 Tooth sprocket
    2016 F3T & L = 89 Tooth sprocket
    2017 F3T & L = 89 Tooth sprocket

Is this correct????

Spyder Garage

Default Almost

I believe that the F3 base has the larger sprocket. Not too sure as I have never rydin one.
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 09-19-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I believe that the F3 base has the larger sprocket. Not too sure as I have never rydes one.

So which Spyder has the 79 tooth sprocket and what size sprocket does the F3 base have?

Spyder Garage

So which Spyder has the 79 tooth sprocket and what size sprocket does the F3 base have?
    RT models and 2017 F3Limited.

Spyder Garage

I did several times was still confused so his is my interpretation:

F3 Base = all years 79 tooth sprocket
    2015 F3S = 89 Tooth sprocket
    2016 F3T & L = 89 Tooth sprocket
    2017 F3T & L = 89 Tooth sprocket

Is this correct????
    No, that's not correct.

2015 F3 base & F3s = 89 tooth
    2016 F3 base, F3s, F3T, F3L = 89 tooth
    2017 F3 base & F3L = 79tooth
    2017 F3S & F3T = 89 tooth
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have not counted the teeth on the sproket, but it is clear by just looking at them that the 2017 F3 Limited has the same size sprocket as the RT models, and the F3, F3S, F3T and 2016 F3 limited has a larger sprocket. I am not sure about the 2017 base model F3, never looked at one in person.

Spyder Garage

Default Just giddy

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks for directing me to the 2016 F3L instead of the 2017 F3L. My 2016 F3L with the 89 tooth sprocket flat out hauls butt compared to anything with the 79 tooth sprocket. Right now, Monster fuel injection is working on a flash which will allow anyone who has the 79 tooth sprocket to buy a belt and 89 tooth sprocket. But make no mistake there is give and takes in doing this. I love my bike to death for the all around fun factor which allows me to do burn outs and lift a front wheel in the corners. But, at interstate speeds around 80 mph were talking 500 rpm difference. It's really noticeable at fast highway speeds but for tooling around from town to town on local highways it's absolutely a gas to destroy my Harley friends. I'm talking timed runs from 0 to 80 mph is just over 6 seconds compared to the stock RT or the 79 tooth sprocket taking over 9 seconds. Mind boggling to me the extreme difference in performance that 10 teeth on a sprocket has for the Spyder platform.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    You are loving that 16 F3 L aren't you Dennis?

Spyder Garage

We faced the same dilemma earlier this year, Mattman: F3T or F3Ltd? Actually, the choice first had to be made between the RTL and the F3; then which of the F3's. We test rode both. I couldn't get comfortable on the RT seat; my wife preferred the F3 ride and size. I should point out that we plan to ride two-up 95% of the time, and will likely do mostly mid-range day trips of a couple hundred miles or so, and maybe some occasional overnight/weekend adventures. So, a cruising, short touring ryde would do, as compared to a really longer range type. We chose the 2017 F3L instead of a discounted 2016 F3L because its features were closest to what we would have gotten with a loaded RT, albeit with very different ergonomics. The top case, floor boards, heated grips were all attractive features, but I also placed much importance on the electronically adjustable rear shock. I didn't want to be bothered with manual adjustment. Both the 2016 F3L and 2017 F3T were manual adjustment. We felt we were able to negotiate a fair and satisfactory price with the dealer for the 2017 F3L which made it a very attractive proposition compared to a 2017 F3T with add-ons. Arm rests and GPS were added to the deal. The 2017 F3L has plenty of power; it will go much faster and reach higher speeds more quickly than we will ever want to ride. We're out on the back roads enjoying the scenery, finding quaint little towns with fun restaurants and delicious ice cream stands with lots of interesting flavors, not trying to win races or trophies, or scream through the twisties. You suit yourself as to choice, but I believe you will find the 2017 F3L to be well worth the premium if you buy it. Since purchasing, we have swapped out the short stock windshield for an F4 23" (different heights are available), to cut down the buffeting; have adjusted the floor board position (nice feature on the F3); and will shortly swap out at least the stock driver seat for something more padded (RDL?, Ultimate?) - the wife is happy with her stock passenger seat; I am not. We'll probably add a few farkles here and there; not much, just likely some additional lighting for safety. The Spyder is fun; it's truly enjoyable. An expensive toy, Yes!. Would we do it again? In a heart beat! 2017 F3L? You bet!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-20-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside