Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat switch defective

On the dash I keep getting seat switch defective message. I usually turn off bike and re-start and it would go away till next time now it is on all the time, I never ride with a passenger. What is this for, why does the rear seat have this switch and what does it tell the bike. I take it the switch must be bad, will it do any harm to the bike as I can't take it in for a while and of course still want to ride. When I took it in for 600 miles services I told them but they said they did not see a code (don't believe them) and told me to bring it in when the it shows all the time.

Spyder Garage

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive it shifts the brake bias automatically when you have a passenger....
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strats View Post
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive it shifts the brake bias automatically when you have a passenger....
    That's correct.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Check the plug under the rear of the seat just to make sure it's seated well.

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    On the dash I keep getting seat switch defective message. I usually turn off bike and re-start and it would go away till next time now it is on all the time, I never ride with a passenger. What is this for, why does the rear seat have this switch and what does it tell the bike. I take it the switch must be bad, will it do any harm to the bike as I can't take it in for a while and of course still want to ride. When I took it in for 600 miles services I told them but they said they did not see a code (don't believe them) and told me to bring it in when the it shows all the time.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Check the plug under the rear of the seat just to make sure it's seated well.
    Tried that, even took it out to make sure it is really in, will it harm to ride like that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Tried that, even took it out to make sure it is really in, will it harm to ride like that.
    No.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That's correct.
    -Scotty
    Scotty, what is brake bias?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    Scotty, what is brake bias?
    It is how the brake system's hydraulic pressure is divided between the front wheels and rear wheel.

With the additional weight of a passanger on the rear wheel it can supply more pressure to the rear wheel's brake without it locking up.

Most time a sytem like this will have a 70%/30% split or even as high as 80%/20% split depending on how much weight the rear wheel has on it and how powerful the rear brake is itself. With of course the higher percentage being applied to the front brakes as there is more weight transfer to them while braking and because in this application the front wheels have more upfront weight all the time as well.

When you add an extra XXXlbs. to the rear wheel by adding a passenger it can now suppply more pressure to the rear brake without it locking up, and may change to say 60%/ 40%.

MM
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]