Spyder Garage

Default 2,100 miles and stranded 3 times. Help

My tale of disappointments.

summary version with history:

Bottom line: the engine stalls and the trike in inoperable on 3 occasions with my ownership

Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:26 PM

Gentlemen:

It has happened again, 2,100 miles and my spyder will not hold an idle, engine light comes on, and the bike engine stops. I am at the location attached, ( I believe the bike is safe for the weekend) and will ask for a tow on Monday when Riva opens.

These constant lack of reliability on my spyder continues to have me concerned. I am afraid to travel any distances due to lack of reliability. Please give me a call or write.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Gentlemen: Here is the history of the latest problems with my spyder. If you check the history, it was towed once before, and this is the second time. Fortunately, it was close to home. My service advisor, Jason is terrific, and helpful. Riva is a fine dealership. My problem is with this machine, my third(3) spyder. I am concerned about its reliability, especially away from home. I do not want to be stranded. I am afraid to take it to Daytona for bike week and biketoberfest 250 miles each way.

What can you do for me?

Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 2:34 PM
    To: Bruce Winter
    Subject: RE: Bruce E. winter My 2014 can am Spyder rt ltd orange tow to Riva

Ok So BRP has advised us to replace the HCM which is the electro/hydraulic actuator inside the side of the engine that engages and disengages the clutch and shift the gears at the same time. I ordered the part but just found out they are on backorder until 5/13/2016. I sent an email to the BRP parts department to see if they can get us one asap. I sent that email few hours ago and just waiting for an answer. We did the oil and transmission filter change as they requested first and did not correct the problem. I am at the mercy of this part getting here. I should hear back from them before the end of the day and will follow up with you. I sorry for this inconvenience.

Last edited by brucewinter; 09-16-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bruce sorry very difficult to extract info .. Can you summarise your issues ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you seriously expect anyone to sort through all that? How about reposting it after deleting your redundant signature blocks and completely irrelevant tax adviser disclaimers?
    Yeah really.

Spyder Garage

When you start getting legal with BRP, they mostly let their lawyers do the talking. You will get shut out. I would also recommend deleting your post as such and come back with your issues only.

There are knowledgeable people on here--and may be able to help you.

Using the internet to sway a companies opinion in your favor--mostly does not work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....🤔

Scanning through the pages...seems they are all dated 2016. Need the latest issue and what has been done form back a year ago...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've got to agree with what the others have said. You need to make a cogent case to get anywhere with a complaint(s). What you've posted is rather cryptic and devoid of actual information.

One other thing: I sure would not put my personal information on the internet for one and all to see. Or are you advertising?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I missed the long version but I'm still a little confused. You have a 2014, when did you purchase it? In April of 2016 you had an issue and the dealer replaced the HCM. Then sometime between April 2016 and now it was towed again but you don't say what they found. Now with 2100 miles on it it was again towed.

Does the bike sit for months on end? Do you treat the fuel if you are leaving it sit? I can't imagine having a 2014 with only 2,100 miles on it - that's first week mileage for me.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Stranded

Yesterday, I was quite annoyed. I took the spyder for gas, 3 miles away, and near the gas station the spyder sputtered and started lunging in 3rd gear. I reached the station, filled it up with premium gas and the check engine light went on, and the idle quit. The spyder is at the gas station waiting for a tow on Monday when the dealer is open. My wife picked me up, and I left the spyder.

by backgound, I have other bikes and the spyder has been driving weekly or more often on short trips with a battery charger plugged in during the interim.

i bought the spyder new, and this is the third time stranded on local roads. I will let you know the outcome. Thank you for your comments.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brucewinter View Post
    Yesterday, I was quite annoyed. I took the spyder for gas, 3 miles away, and near the gas station the spyder sputtered and started lunging in 3rd gear. I reached the station, filled it up with premium gas and the check engine light went on, and the idle quit.
    If I understand you correctly, what causes the stalling is the clutch failing to disengage when coming to a stop. That is why they replaced the HCM the first time around. What did the dealer do to get you going again the second time it happened?

Is it possible you're actually running out of gas when this happens? I ran out of gas twice Friday and each time it shuddered to a stop in 3rd gear. Once I had gas in it the engine fired right up and all was good again.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Stranded

Today, I visited my spyder at the gas station. It started up, 1st and reverse worked. I drove around the station, no 2nd gear and beyond. Back to same space, waiting a tow tomorrow.

engine light warning went on intermittently.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Is it possible you're actually running out of gas when this happens? I ran out of gas twice Friday and each time it shuddered to a stop in 3rd gear. Once I had gas in it the engine fired right up and all was good again.

You brag about running out of gas twice in one day, wowie buffalo boob

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    You brag about running out of gas twice in one day, wowie buffalo boob
    Wasn't bragging. Just being honest about my mistakes. You try riding the Nevada desert with up to 200 miles between gas stations and see what happens.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default stranded

Sorry to hear about your Spyder problems. I can only say I have the exact same bike bought new in 2014 and now just shy of 20,000 miles it has not so much as hiccuped. I always run premium gas and never in eco mode. Would not be afraid to hop on it right now and drive across the US. Hope you get it corrected.

Spyder Garage

Default A '14 with 2100 miles?

A '14 with that few miles has to sit for months. It seems to me the bike is upset for collecting dust. If I decide to not ride on a certain day I see a teardrop in my RT's headlights.
    140K on my RT-S and still runs like new.
    Chujck

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I guess I missed the long version but I'm still a little confused. You have a 2014, when did you purchase it? In April of 2016 you had an issue and the dealer replaced the HCM. Then sometime between April 2016 and now it was towed again but you don't say what they found. Now with 2100 miles on it it was again towed.

Does the bike sit for months on end? Do you treat the fuel if you are leaving it sit? I can't imagine having a 2014 with only 2,100 miles on it - that's first week mileage for me.

Good luck.