Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Did You Buy A Spyder?

Since we are nearing the new model year announcements, how about hearing some of the reasons you bought your particular . What made you take the plunge?

I have been through five now and looking back:

: 2008: GS/SM5. When I saw the new offering in October issue in a MC Magazine--it was yellow--I just had to have one. Put a deposit down in Oct 2007 and had to wait until June 2008. Got the first one sold to a customer in AK. Was a "rock star" for at least a year. Of course the only color available was the up-line +$500 for the half moon silver.

: 2009 RS/SE5. Bought spouse her very own. She had to have the semi automatic.

: 2010 RTS-Premier Edition. I prefer touring mode so when they offered one set up--I had to have that three wheeled touring bike.

: 2011 RT--A & C version. Spouse left in 2010 with her Spyder. My newfound friend Linda--should have her own. I purchased a "left over" 2011 in 2012. She is still riding it and has 28,000 miles on the odo at this point.

: 2014 RT-S Had to have the 1330 three cylinder. Traded the 2010 in on this one. Very happy and just turned 28,000 on it yesterday.

No more 's since 2014. Have not been tempted by the F3 configurations--but I did go and look, test sat, but did not bite on the touring configuration.

If this year is colors only, probably no 2018 in my future either. I am currently back on two wheels also. Having a lot of fun there.

We can sometimes be a tough crowd for the BRP marketing department.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wanted something for touring that wasn't a stogey cruiser bagger, or stuffy Goldwing, or pretentious BMW. Then tried a Spyder GS when I was recovering from a broken ankle, and thought "hmm.. a set of hard luggage on this will be nice". Still have it 5 years later, even though we mostly two wheel it (just got a VFR for sport touring) on an assortment of bikes. It's nice to have for the days when I don't feel like leaning low or want to be lazy. Sometimes my wife has mild balance issues and it's good to have the GS for her as a backup.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Well, when the Orthopedic Surgeon that put me back together after I damn near died from an accident on my Monster, said if it happened again he wouldn't be able to again and that it would most likely just kill me outright! So...... no more 2 wheelin'!

Enter my F3-S into the equation. I wasn't even seriously going to get one as all I had seen or known about up to that point was the RS, RT style and wasn't feelin' it at all. But luckily on a whim I went to the website and saw the F3 style and it's been downhill since then!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

Having sold all my motorcycle gear, trailer, bike, apparel, helmets etc, and moving to California (San Diego) I tought I was done with it all after 60 some years. Then after working full time for a year on restoring the house we bought the wife said " your crazy we are living in the greatest ryding place on earth and you have no bike..." So I told her...If we get another one it will be a spyder. So for my birthday she bought me our 2012 RS SM5. Apparently this will be the last one now that they dropped it and others from the lineup...

Strangely enough, it has become the perfect ryde after injuries and surgeries...love it..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wanted something the wifey could ride without starting from ground zero. I did not anticipate that I would not like the Spyder's handling though so I will likely go back to two wheels and she can ride Spydie.

Spyder Garage

Default Why I bought my Spyder Short Story

It was actually my Dad's fault. My dad wanted to ride again after a long break from 2 wheels. I helped him look for his bike and got the bug to do ride again during that. I didn't want to finance so i had a $10k budget including any future mods. I needed something comfortable due to a back injury but FUN. On the list was a Ducati Hypermotard, HyperStrada, Multistrada, Honda VFR 400, 500, 750 or 800, Yamaha FJR1200, MT10, FZ-09, Suzuki SV650 and a few others. I went to test ride a VFR 750 and loved it but the particular bike didn't sit right with me due to the mileage and a few other owner answers of "I am not sure". It was on the top of the list but still had to test ride the others. I always knew existed but were way out of my Budget so never even thought of "Looking". While looking through the Cycle trader for more VFR's my popped up and i said no way that price is real. Looked at some more on CT and a few were within $$ range but to high mileage for me. I decided to grab my cash and go take a look at mine and test ride it. You never know. After 5mi i almost didn't go back. Sooooo Fun and comfortable. As they say it was sold before i got back to the sellers house. I made mine even more comfortable and will continue to do so and just wish i could ride it more. Never a thought has crossed my mind of "I should have just got a 2 wheeler".

Would love a new F3S but out of budget and even though i could probably finance it i just don't get to ride enough to justify it.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default hahahaha yeah !

in the I.D. photo of mine , the wife's cousin had a 2012 s-m 5 I had a 2 wheeler , ( it is behind my in photo ) we tried riding 2 up on the wheeler , it was not comfortable for her , but she rode with the cousin , on his 3 wheels , she was hooked ! said we need to get one so we could go riding when the cousin went with his gal pal of the time ... took about 8 months I guess ... I shopped the local craigslist ( craigslist aholic ) ... looked at local dealer , prices were off a bit , but did find one exactly like the cousins , same every thing just over 10 for the price also ... had to jump , lost one before to waiting to long ! so that is how we ended up like ----> IMG_20170909_112150.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Medical issues

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Since we are nearing the new model year announcements, how about hearing some of the reasons you bought your particular . What made you take the plunge?

: 2008: GS/SM5. When I saw the new offering in October issue in a MC Magazine--it was yellow--I just had to have one. Put a deposit down in Oct 2007 and had to wait until June 2008. Got the first one sold to a customer in AK. Was a "rock star" for at least a year. Of course the only color available was the up-line +$500 for the half moon silver.

: 2010 RTS-Premier Edition. I prefer touring mode so when they offered one set up--I had to have that three wheeled touring bike.

: 2011 RT--A & C version. Spouse left in 2010 with her Spyder. My newfound friend Linda--should have her own. I purchased a "left over" 2011 in 2012. She is still riding it and has 28,000 miles on the odo at this point.

: 2014 RT-S Had to have the 1330 three cylinder. Traded the 2010 in on this one. Very happy and just turned 28,000 on it yesterday.

No more 's since 2014. Have not been tempted by the F3 configurations--but I did go and look, test sat, but did not bite on the touring configuration.

If this year is colors only, probably no 2018 in my future either. I am currently back on two wheels also. Having a lot of fun there.

I used to have a 2003 Yamaha VStar 1100 and about 5 years ago my wife was diagnosed with fibromyalgia so after a long run she would be riddled in pain for days. As a result she stopped riding with me. We took a 2014 RT-S for test run and she fell in love with it so we bought it on the spot. For two years we had both but the VStar got used so little that we sold it. No regrets other than the fact I had 64 mods done to it and basically lost my shirt lol. I now have 46 mods done to the Spyder in only three years so I am quickly catching up lol. On a side note we were married 25 years September 5th so the Spyder has kept us riding together.

IMG_20170729_1606203.jpgIMG_2287.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Budden; 09-17-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me it was a coin toss. It was between a Honda VFR1200X and my F3. Leaving Honda quality was risky but the Spyder offered something..., different.

Spyder Garage

Wanted something different, boy I am so happy I got it.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Accidents

We bought our first Spyder, a demo 2012 RT Limited, in September of 2012 .... I had been looking at them for about a year as hubby had started riding again in 2010, was in an accident in January 2012, and was limping around on a "not healed" leg (it was horrible to watch). Also, I was in a head on collision on 2 in 1993 (walked away with no broken bones, but my custom BMW K75LT was totaled). I swore I would never ride on 2 again .... but the Spyder had caught my eye. Then hubby suggested it might be a good backup for him on those days when he didn't feel he could hold up the heavy HD. He test rode and we purchased, with the intent that it be his. Well .... he handed be the keys and said why don't you take it for a spin around the service roads and back to the house (about a 5 mile loop). From then on, it was "mine" ... says I stole it from him! He did ride it once more when we were on the way to a doctors appointment and his Indian Roadmaster (replaced the HD in 2016) had a flat tire. So, we set up a tow for the Indian and he took off on the Spyder ... just made it to the appointment too.

We now have a 2016 RT Limited -- traded the 2012 for it. Except for problems with the CB ... I absolutely love this byke! Aaaannndddd ... I have my triple back -- nothing like a triple for snappy acceleration and smoothness.

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After escaping from the insane asylum: I found myself standing in front of this dealership... They had the STRANGEST buggies sitting around there!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wish I knew.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Wish I knew.
    Me too. Someone just asked me today- 'why'? I just stuttered. I couldn't easily sum it up.

Just that I was intrigued by them ever since they were announced and I had to try one.

Spyder Garage

Default Well it's like this

My wife got off a 2000 Yamaha Venture and on a 2010 RTS when she had her first hip replacement. She has since had her second one done and she is as happy as could be. Well after my 8th knee surgery realizing that keeping my 2011 Kawasaki Voyager upright at stops was getting more difficult I picked up a 2016 F3T this past April. 6100 (s)miles later I am loving every minute on it.

We are now a two Spyder family now.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Default Bad back

I hadn't rode for a couple of years because of a bad back and didnt want to drop or get stuck on with 2 wheel riding, seen the spyders years go and took one for a test drive and wanted one ever since but it was to expensive for me until I found one on cycle traded about 300 miles away. drove to look at it, and took it for a test ride and rode 300 miles back on the turnike back home and have over 600 miles in just over a week and a half. Alreadt done a few mod and have a bajaron sway bar on the way. Plan on doing several more enjoy riding again after a few years of not riding.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chaz7771931 View Post
    I hadn't rode for a couple of years because of a bad back and didnt want to drop or get stuck on with 2 wheel riding, seen the spyders years go and took one for a test drive and wanted one ever since but it was to expensive for me until I found one on cycle traded about 300 miles away. drove to look at it, and took it for a test ride and rode 300 miles back on the turnike back home and have over 600 miles in just over a week and a half. Alreadt done a few mod and have a bajaron sway bar on the way. Plan on doing several more enjoy riding again after a few years of not riding.

also plan on getting a rig for my servics dog so,she can ride with me...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Story

After an accident on my two wheeler (first bike in over 25 years) that almost killed me my wife forbid me from riding again, and made me sell it. About six months later I saw an RS for the first time, and said that is what I need. After searching for it, and a lot of convincing my wife said yes. Now I am on my third Spyder (2010 RS, 2012 RT, and 2016 F3-T), and my wife rydes with me now too.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Last edited by Blue Star; 09-17-2017 at 02:15 AM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Difficult to put into words -- I hadn't been on a 2 wheeler in 45 years (and didn't really miss it). For some reason, when the Spyders came out (on '08?), I was intrigued, but couldn't afford one. I had no desire at all for a 2 wheeler. Among my concerns was whether I could keepit at upright at stops.

Fast forward to early this spring when, on the first nice day (after a long and miserable winter), I saw a Spyder on a local road and thought "Wow, THAT looks like fun!". So my thought process was:

1. I'm retired now, and I finally CAN afford a Spyder.
    2. Life is short, so grab some fun while you still can.
    3. While skiing keeps me active in the winter, I needed something that got me out of the house during the rest of the year.
    4. Life is short, so grab some fun while you still can.
    5. It's exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. As I say, it's hard to describe.
    6. Life is short, so grab some fun while you still can.

Ended up buying a 2016 leftover at a good price a few months ago. Haven't regretted my decision at all!

Spyder Garage

Been on 2 wheels just about all my life. Last year had both knees replaced and decided to go 3 wheels. Being 63 and now my knees feels really good I could probably handle 2 wheels again. But now I'm retired don't feel like going thru any more knee surgery. I'm happy on my 08 Spyder and my wife happy on her 11 RSS. Went thru knee problems since I was 16 years old when I blew out my left knee. After 2 knee surgery and now 2 replacement I'll stick with my Spyders. The more I ride them the better I like them. I've had some great 2 wheels in my past and my best 2 was a 99 Honda Valkyrie and my 07 Goldwing.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Reality

Reality is accepting the limitations of my right leg before I dropped one of my BMWs. I found a leftover 2015 F3S with a huge discouent and bought it. It was the right choice.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Well, I bought my spyder after looking at them for a long time and had to wait for the price to drop enough to get the one i wanted. I rode motorcycles for many years and just quit having watched to many friends get ruined. This looked like a good alternative to a 2 wheeler.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Funny how every post has been ex or current two wheelers looking for a change. Anyone care to post up who are first time or non-riding Spyder owners?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Been riding for well over 30 years on Goldwings. A friend in our winter riding group has a Spyder. On a trip to New Mexico 2 years ago, we encountered 50+MPH side winds for several miles. Spyder friend said it wasn't too much of a problem for him. Wife and I each on our own Goldwings were absolutely exhausted. I was impressed. Sold my really late, mid-life crisis BMW Z3 in favor of having the Can Am "Roadster". My Spyder riding friend previously had a 2 wheeler and a Honda trike. I asked his opinion of the Spyder and he told me that a Spyder is what he would purchase again if he had to make a choice. I bought one.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe always rode 2 wheels but I wanted no part of it. One year I followed him and some of his friends across the country them on motorcycles and me in the car. One of the riders was a woman, at least 10 years older than me, tiny little lady that rode a Harley VRod from Oklahoma to Las Vegas. I realized that I was missing out on the fun but I wanted no part of 2 wheels. I saw a Spyder RT at the Laughlin River Run and thought it looked interesting so we took one for a test drive. My brother had purchased a 2008 Premier Edition and it was just sitting in his garage so we borrowed it and the rest is history. The RT test drive made me realize that the GS wasn't the best fit for me so a month or so later I purchased a used 2010 RTS. 210,000 Spyder miles later I'm loving my new F3T SM-6.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622