Thread: Apparel

Spyder Garage

Default Apparel

Is it just in my area (central ohio) or do all can am dealers not have much in the way of apparel. A few tee shirts & a small selection of jackets & maybe a hat or two. My wife loves that sort of thing & she is always let down when we leave. Are dealers in your area the same? Just wondering

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Headwrench View Post
    Is it just in my area (central ohio) or do all can am dealers not have much in the way of apparel. A few tee shirts & a small selection of jackets & maybe a hat or two. My wife loves that sort of thing & she is always let down when we leave. Are dealers in your area the same? Just wondering
    Same thing in my area. I'm in the lower mainland of B.C., Canada 🇨🇦
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

My dealer does not carry anything can am at all. Some sport bike stuff but that's it. Their other store is a Harley dealer and it's loaded to the gills.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of that going around. Lots of inventory $$ required to have a good supply. Not enough customers willing to pay the very high BRP prices.

I have two BRP jackets (purchased in 2008). Had to order both. Dealer still stocks none. Good jackets--but other brands usually not as expensive--and they work just as well.

Why should I pay big bucks to give them more free advertising? I like the product, but feel shafted paying to advertise for them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Can Am Spyder dealers won't usually stock much, if any Can Am gear or apparel. Official branded apparel is way over priced! Costs too much to keep unsold inventory. Case in point. Can Am top of the line riding jacket. Awesome quality, loaded with all the features you would expect. Original retail was $700. I bought it at the 10th anniversary for $210. Is it worth $210? You betcha! But they never sold at all. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can buy year old (last years left overs) BRP clothing (for sleds, Spyder, ATV) on ebay for 50-70% off typically. Doesn't make sense to buy at a dealer.

Spyder Garage

Buy your "apparel" gear at the Harley Dealers. That way all the "Hog" guys will wave at you. Works for me.
    ​ Feel the Love.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Come on now, is the Can-Am apparel high dollar, yes. Are the Harley shops loaded with JD clothing at rediculous prices, yes.

someone mentioned earlier the high cost of inventory and the added cost of it sitting idle. The NE Ohio dealers carry a reasonable amount of clothing but it is minimal. The reason for that is in the previous statement. The HD dealers have a larger audience, customer base, even non-riders buy that stuff. They turn the inventory over and this makes it profitable.

Depending on the product, the margins and dating, you probably need three to six turns per year, I am not sure about this industry. I too would like to see more clothing and such, but it I should incredibly expensive if you cannot turn it.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I find none of the BRP stuff appealing.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with dealers needing to be able to turn a profit and that's hard on apparel with the prices being charged and that's why most dealers don't carry inventory. I don't blame them. If a brick and mortar dealer doesn't have an internet sales presence they are dead in the water anyway.

I think the time has come for a complete change in the sales model for powersports "things" and really automotive "things" as well. In the age that we live in are dealers obsolete? Tesla thinks so and I agree with them. Why can't we just purchase direct (apparel, equipment, accessories, etc) direct from BRP. The only real need of a dealer is service and that's where they make their money anyway. So why don't the powersports business's of the world have certified service shops (hell one shop could be certified in all brands) that just provide service and the manufacture's sell everything direct to the consumer. That makes more sense to me.

Problem is, then BRP is left holding the bag for unsold inventory rather than their dealers. BRP gets paid for each unit on a dealer floor long before its delivered to the dealer or sold by the dealer.

Just seems to me the "dealer" system that has been in place for many, many years is stacked against the dealer and the consumer and protects the manufacturer more than anything. Time for a change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Buy your "apparel" gear at the Harley Dealers. That way all the "Hog" guys will wave at you. Works for me.
    ​ Feel the Love.

Jack
    I actually have a couple HD t-shirts and a couple HD beer glasses. I got them as prizes when I belonged to a riding club. They used to scout all the local dealers for "door prize" handouts. There was some interesting stuff given out. Loved the hot pink Mohawk helmet decorations that (fortunately) someone else got.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I actually have a couple HD t-shirts and a couple HD beer glasses. I got them as prizes when I belonged to a riding club. They used to scout all the local dealers for "door prize" handouts. There was some interesting stuff given out. Loved the hot pink Mohawk helmet decorations that (fortunately) someone else got.
    Yep, yep, yep.......Some of us have no choice than to buy Harley gear. BRP considers 6'4" to be tall, and then only if you have a 48" chest......and if you are 6'7" and want a jacket to fit your 54" chest, you end up with sleeves that only come down to your elbows.

Thank goodness for Harley and Indian gear, (and MotoPort and FoxCreek)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yep, yep, yep.......Some of us have no choice than to buy Harley gear. BRP considers 6'4" to be tall, and then only if you have a 48" chest......and if you are 6'7" and want a jacket to fit your 54" chest, you end up with sleeves that only come down to your elbows.

Thank goodness for Harley and Indian gear, (and MotoPort and FoxCreek)

Pete
    BRP sizing is also interesting. Unless you look like one of the models in the accessory catalog--good luck on getting a good fit.

Tall people, short people with shorter legs and big midsize make for nightmares with sizing.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agreed. Very little to purchase at the local Atl dealers.
    3Wheel Bob

2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has a catalog if you want to pay full price. If not, look for sales on EBay.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have gotten some pretty good deals in the WTB area. The Can AM Jacket I bought is much warmer than anticipated. Block wind really well too.

Spyder Garage

It's not just Spyder gear, try to find something that has goldwing on it. I wanted goldwing apparel when I rode my goldwing but was never had any luck, I know the goldwing community is larger than the spyder group but you'd never know from the merchandise. It's all about money

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

My local dealer has no BRP gear, just lots of Joe Rocket, etc.

Since I switched over from HD, pretty much all my riding gear is Harley and likely to stay that way. Good armored gear is good gear, no matter what the logo.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

My wife buys all my riding apparel. I just go to the drawer and pull out a nice pair of cargo shorts, a long sleeve light weight fishing shirt, and a pair of sneakers with light weight tiny little socks. Sunglasses, helmet, nose picker gloves, and a spritz of sun block on the exposed skin and I'm good to go....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Pit Bull Powersports

Attend Spyderfest in Springfield MO and check out Pit Bull Powersports! Or just take a trip.

Spyder Garage

I live in S.E. Missouri and there is very little can am apparel locally. I have to travel to Pit Bull in Springfield, MO. The closest dealer in Poplar Bluff, MO has returned all their spyder accessories and sell only the can am ATVs and side by sides. They do have some helmets for sell (not can am but other brands).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Headwrench View Post
    You are lucky your dealers at least have something?? Our dealer has absolutely NOTHING for Spyder owners!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Logo gear??

I think it's interesting what we 'expect' from a dealer....

The Harley folk have become T-shirt stores that also sell and service motorcycles. I'm also a Harley owner and have two lifetimes worth of HD gear but my wife is a 'Spyder only' lady and she wants SPYDER SWAG!

Until the Spyder deepens penetration of the market I think what we have is pretty much what we can expect.

Nice to hear about Pit Bull in Springfield - I'll try to pay them a visit next time through!
    Chris Kovachevich, CDS
    Independence, MO

HOG # US5032392
    BCA #47866

Growing old is mandatory; growing UP is optional!