Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner - who makes one for an ST anymore

Was wondering if there is anyone that makes a belt tensioner for the ST line up anymore? Doc has never posted about one that I have read, I have checked his site also. Smoothspyder is dealing with the storm in Florida but I don't know if they still make them either, I read (I think) that they were dropping that off the product line. I did email them and they suggested I ask Doc. I don't know if this is because of the current hurricane problems down in FL or he just doesn't carry it anymore.

thanks
    Last edited by mavrik; 09-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I asked Doc about this when I saw him at the Tennessee rally a couple of months ago. He needs a bike to measure and test with and he doesn't have an ST nor has anyone offered to loan him their's for a while.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

You really need to check with smoothspyder cause he made them for the GS,RS,RSS and ST. I believe Baker also made them. I know doc was looking into them ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not given up the process on them. Eventually, I'll be able to take some measurements and make an adaptor for our Vibration Damper that will work. The problem lies in the parking pawl. On those models it is directly in the way of where the damper mounts. I know I can fabricate up something as soon as I can make some measurements. And, what we done with one should work on all of the rest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    I have not given up the process on them. Eventually, I'll be able to take some measurements and make an adaptor for our Vibration Damper that will work. The problem lies in the parking pawl. On those models it is directly in the way of where the damper mounts. I know I can fabricate up something as soon as I can make some measurements. And, what we done with one should work on all of the rest.
    Would I be able to buy the vibration damper by itself and I will make something up?

Spyder Garage

http://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

TENSIONER / BELTGUARDMounts on the rear shock bracket

10-12 RT 13-16 RS 13-16 ST

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    http://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

TENSIONER / BELTGUARDMounts on the rear shock bracket

10-12 RT 13-16 RS 13-16 ST

Scubadown, I hope you and your family made out ok after the hurricane. I have seen the smoothspyder and they are out of Florida also. It seemed they were not carrying that product anymore so I reach out and apparently they still do. They did suggest I inquire with Doc to see if they had a model for the top of the belt. It seems that people are finding out that putting the tensioner on the top of the belt is working a lot better than the bottom because the top is where the harmonic imbalance is. Is this correct? So now I question whether the bottom will clean up the vibration enough from what I have read. What say you spyder lovers.?

Spyder Garage

Default I did one....

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik View Post
    Was wondering if there is anyone that makes a belt tensioner for the ST line up anymore? Doc has never posted about one that I have read, I have checked his site also. Smoothspyder is dealing with the storm in Florida but I don't know if they still make them either, I read (I think) that they were dropping that off the product line. I did email them and they suggested I ask Doc. I don't know if this is because of the current hurricane problems down in FL or he just doesn't carry it anymore.

thanks
    Hi, as I wrote to Doc a few days ago, I installed a BRP tensioner on my ST. The ST frame is the same as the RT frame, therefore, the RT adapter of Doc is a direct fit for the ST.

The problem is only the noise because of the ribbed belt. Otherwise, it is easy to install. It clears the gaz tanks exactly as in Doc video.

I succeded to remove the noise by inserting a sleeve of rubber over the roller. To create that sleeve, I used a length of bicycle tube (old 27X1.1/4 that was leaking air) cut to the proper length. It works great, except that when speeding up, the centrifugal force makes it slip of the roller.

I was considering dipping the roller into some rubberized paint. With a few coats, I hope I will be able to build up a tick enough "cushionned" liner for the hard roller.

Any idea are welcome.... I considered contact cement, but can't figure out how to install it over the roller....

If the whinning noise doesn't bother you, go ahead, it does the job.....

P.S. My Spyser is an SM5 .... that being said, I don't understand Doc's comment about the interference of the parking pawl.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richardv; 09-14-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default Parking pawl....

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Doc, on the ST the parking brake is electric, as the RT..... ( if this is the pawl you are referring to.... the RS has the manual parking brake)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik View Post
    Scubadown, I hope you and your family made out ok after the hurricane. I have seen the smoothspyder and they are out of Florida also. It seemed they were not carrying that product anymore so I reach out and apparently they still do. They did suggest I inquire with Doc to see if they had a model for the top of the belt. It seems that people are finding out that putting the tensioner on the top of the belt is working a lot better than the bottom because the top is where the harmonic imbalance is. Is this correct? So now I question whether the bottom will clean up the vibration enough from what I have read. What say you spyder lovers.?
    Thanks for the well wishes Mavrik. We did make it out OK up here in Merritt Island, but the FL Keys is in a bad way. I have seen reviews on the Smoothspyder and they seem good but I don't know about the performance difference between top of the belt or bottom. If you get one, let us know how it works. I think that will be my next upgrade after new front shocks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes Mavrik. We did make it out OK up here in Merritt Island, but the FL Keys is in a bad way. I have seen reviews on the Smoothspyder and they seem good but I don't know about the performance difference between top of the belt or bottom. If you get one, let us know how it works. I think that will be my next upgrade after new front shocks.
    What do you think you will be doing for shocks, have you done the sway bar yet?

Spyder Garage

Default We do!!!

bakerbuiltairwings.com or call us 1-800-451-9464. Can ask questions through email also info@bakerbuilt.com

Spyder Garage

Default Finally did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    Hi, as I wrote to Doc a few days ago, I installed a BRP tensioner on my ST. The ST frame is the same as the RT frame, therefore, the RT adapter of Doc is a direct fit for the ST.

The problem is only the noise because of the ribbed belt. Otherwise, it is easy to install. It clears the gaz tanks exactly as in Doc video.

I succeded to remove the noise by inserting a sleeve of rubber over the roller. To create that sleeve, I used a length of bicycle tube (old 27X1.1/4 that was leaking air) cut to the proper length. It works great, except that when speeding up, the centrifugal force makes it slip of the roller.

I was considering dipping the roller into some rubberized paint. With a few coats, I hope I will be able to build up a tick enough "cushionned" liner for the hard roller.

Any idea are welcome.... I considered contact cement, but can't figure out how to install it over the roller....

If the whinning noise doesn't bother you, go ahead, it does the job.....

P.S. My Spyser is an SM5 .... that being said, I don't understand Doc's comment about the interference of the parking pawl.....
    Good morning, finally figured out how to install the tube over the roller. In fact, it was very easy. I sanded the roller with a #120 to remove luster on it. Then I installer the tube over the roller, and flipped half ot it over itself. Then brussed contact cement over the one half roller exposed and the top half of the tube. Waited for it to dry. Flip it back into placed, and redid the same thing for the second half.

So far, road tested it for over 200 km, and all is fine. Went up to 110 km/h without any problem. But did do any lentgh of highway so far. This is the last test to be done.

Will keep you posted..... ;-)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

VERY COOL...let us know...pictures too :}. Sorry i have been head over heals in work so i have been unable to get Doc the pictures he needs to see if the tensioner he sells for the RT, which goes on the top belt, see if it will fit the ST