Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding the Blue Ride Parkway

I have been on the BRP many times each year, but never done it start to finish. So, next Sunday (9/17) the wife is going out of town on a women's retreat, so that seems like the perfect time (she doesn't share my love for riding). KK and I are riding up to the the start in Cherokee, and going to proceed north, taking our time and enjoying the sites along the way. According to Google, it is about 469 miles long and ends in Virginia. We will probably take about 3 days to do the entire thing and then head home on Wednesday.
    Beyond the BRP, isn't there something called Skyline drive that continues further north? I have only gone as far north on that as the upper parts of Virginia. One day I would like to go as far north as I can take it. If anyone wants to join us for parts of this little trip, chime in and let me know. Always glad to meet more riders.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Skyline Drive is an extension of the BRP through Shenandoah Nat'l Park that is beautiful; have bicycled it many times. Don't forget your National Parks pass if you have one. It is less twisty than the BRP but still an excellent ride. Were it not for my Red Rocks Trip I'd meet you in Cherokee for the whole gig. Have a great, safe ride!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll have a great trip on the BRP and you should definitely do the Skyline Drive as well. I went the other direction in my car this summer. It's beautiful country and good people all along the way.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Skyline Drive is an extension of the BRP through Shenandoah Nat'l Park that is beautiful; have bicycled it many times. Don't forget your National Parks pass if you have one. It is less twisty than the BRP but still an excellent ride. Were it not for my Red Rocks Trip I'd meet you in Cherokee for the whole gig. Have a great, safe ride!
    Yep, I have done different parts of the BRP on many occasions, but we will have to do the Skyline Drive on a different trip, when more time is available. What is this National Parks pass that you speak of? Is there a gate, or fee for that part of the road? Nothing is needed on any part of the BRP that I know of, I didn't know it was different the further that you go north.

Spyder Garage

Skyline Drive requires the pass or cash, whichever you may have. The cost was $10 for a bike, but I think (never good) it has went to $15.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds awesome

Hope that taking your time and enjoying the view includes a picture or two posted here for those too far away to join you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Hope that taking your time and enjoying the view includes a picture or two posted here for those too far away to join you...
    As always, I will be taking as many pictures as possible. But after traveling this area for 8-9 years, pictures still cannot do this place justice.

Spyder Garage

We just made this trip including Skyline.
    Skyline will cost you $20.
    Once you are done go here and send in for
    your 469 club

https://www.friendsbrp.org/discover-the-parkway/469-award/

The trip will be a blast.

Butch
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Lifetime National Parks Pass

If you are over 62 you can make a one time purchase of a Nat'l Parks Pass that entitles you to entry into all the parks for one motorcycle or a private vehicle and all occupants. The price went up a few years ago, don't know what it is right now. There is a toll booth a short way up the Drive from Waynesboro where you can purchase it for your trip and it will be good until you croak or some cheap politician decides to kill the program.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default National Parks Pass

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you are over 62 you can make a one time purchase of a Nat'l Parks Pass that entitles you to entry into all the parks for one motorcycle or a private vehicle and all occupants. The price went up a few years ago, don't know what it is right now. There is a toll booth a short way up the Drive from Waynesboro where you can purchase it for your trip and it will be good until you croak or some cheap politician decides to kill the program.
    I was just informed by a friend of mine and he asked me if i had my seniors pass to get into the National Parks. He said you had better get it before Aug. 27th.
    The price went from $10.00 to $80.00. I checked it out and he was right. If you registered online you would get a paper because
    they were swamped with request for the cards. I didn't get it done ontime.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    ...The price went from $10.00 to $80.00.
    Ouch!!! Another benefit of being an older fart -- I guess!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We just rode skyline drive this past Sunday (9/10/17). My wife took a picture of me at the gate for some reason? You can see the entry fees posted on the sign at the top of the picture tho.

Spyder Garage

Default Great Ride !

The BRP is a great ride. Four us of did it in three days in May of 2016. Perfect weather and every day beautiful scenary. We started in Cherokee and drove North. The return trip on the fourth day started in Roanoke ending in Atlanta some 400 miles later. Would do it again for sure.
    3Wheel Bob

2015 F3S SE6