Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F-3 Limited Vibration

I bought a 2017 F-3 Limited this spring and have about 4,500 miles on it. Most of those miles were on slower state highways, so it took awhile to discover the heavy, intermittent vibration. At speeds above 70 mph, it felt like hitting a hundred yards of rumble strip.

I took the bike back to the dealer, an 80 mile round trip. Heavy vibration at normal highway speed was unexpected in a $30,000 machine. CanAm told the dealer to change the wheels and tires. Nobody thought that would help, and it didn’t.

Meanwhile, I googled “Vibration in F-3 Spyders,” and discovered this well-known phenomenon was due to the comparatively long drive belt developing harmonic vibration at certain speeds. This was written about in 2015…and an idler pulley was found to be the solution. CanAm offers this part from the factory, so presumably they know all about it.

I emailed CanAm after learning this idler was an extra-cost option. They replied to the dealer that the charge was warranted because ”intermittent vibration at 70 mph was not a “defect.” What? I sent another e-mail in protest. Why wasn’t an idler standard equipment if they knew it fixed the problem?

Can Am did not reply to me. Either time.

The dealer charged $90…and had my new bike for almost three weeks of our short summer. (I might have ridden it during that time, but I feared the chronically dead battery would leave me stranded. That was a separate issue.)

Here’s what I think: If CanAm doesn’t care that their top-of-the-line ride bounces like a cheap vibrator once it leaves the showroom, and won’t fix the problem under warranty, they deserve a blistering review. It’s not much, but it’s the best I can do. Spyders get lots of attention in parking lots, and questions get asked…

Spyder Garage

Default vibe

Sorry to deliver the bad news, but the BRP belt vibration dampner costs $36 and my dealer put it on free takes about 20 min.
    Paul

Spyder Garage

Default it works

I have a 2017 F3 Limited that I just got. I to noticed the rumbling also. I did so research and found it was due to the long belt. I got the idler wheel belt kit. That fixed the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Mine LTD is ok too...

I just acquired a new (a demo) last Thursday too. Have put about 200 miles on it and (so far) and it runs great (so far)....no idler needed.

However, on my other Spyder ('15 F3-S), I had to put on an idler.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

There has always been a great deal discussed here on these vibration issues. Dealing with the belt issue, here the thing. Spyders are not the only vehicle on the road with this issue. All open air vehicles have them. There are simple solutions. If you get this at 70 mph...go 72 or 68 mph and your good (unless your OCD). In that case, or if you want to move the point of vibration ...you can adjust you belts tension to move it up or down. Seems the lower the tension the less you have an issue. Then of course you can get the tensioner, which is a small investment. Now as to who is at fault and who should do what... I only have a theory. The belt falls in the catagory of a wear item, an adjustable maintenance item so its up to us to deal with it. This vibration, though annoying, is not a safety issue for you or your machine...just my point of view
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default You've missed the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There has always been a great deal discussed here on these vibration issues. Dealing with the belt issue, here the thing. Spyders are not the only vehicle on the road with this issue. All open air vehicles have them. There are simple solutions. If you get this at 70 mph...go 72 or 68 mph and your good (unless your OCD). In that case, or if you want to move the point of vibration ...you can adjust you belts tension to move it up or down. Seems the lower the tension the less you have an issue. Then of course you can get the tensioner, which is a small investment. Now as to who is at fault and who should do what... I only have a theory. The belt falls in the catagory of a wear item, an adjustable maintenance item so its up to us to deal with it. This vibration, though annoying, is not a safety issue for you or your machine...just my point of view
    I've been riding motorcycles for fifty years, the last fifteen or so on belt driven Yamahas that cost half as much as an F-3 Limited. The Yamahas ran smoothly at all speeds. I didn't need to work on them when they came off the showroom floor, spend money for ”optional” parts to make them run acceptably, or listen to the company tell me a pig was a unicorn. How is Can Am not accountable for this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you had done any research on the Spyder before purchase you would have read about this known characteristic of the Spyder. Having said that there are a few products out there to help with this issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add this to your list of why you don't like BRP, their idler pulleys are failing at a pretty good pace. I'd take it off before it breaks and takes out your belt.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

In this case I have to agree with jambo creek on this one. If you spend that kind of money on something BRP should throw one on. What does it cost BRP, nothing really but lets just say Jambo complains and it prevents one person from buying a new can am spyder for 30k, that equals out to 833 they could have put on to make happy customers. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool. I to have complained as well, Not about the vibrations as mine dont really vibrate. I have complained about some of the really cheap componets they use and the cost to maintain. I know i will get the same grief about if you did some research but i disagree. Cheap plastic tabs to hold the mirrors on, really, and the simple fact you have to take them off to do anything on the bike is simply poor design. A buddy of mine was really interested in buying one until he came over and looked at mine when it was all dissassembled and decided he would stay with a motorcycle instead, the goes 1 failed sale. I think what really irritates me more is that when people do complain about what BRP is doing people find excuses to justify it instead of agreeing and trying to get something changed. BRP wont listen to customers but they will listen to dollars when sales fall to record low's.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS