Spyder Garage

Default How many things make VSS Light/code appear? Low battery?

How many different things will make this code appear dealer suggested oil level it's OK Internet suggested battery after sitting idle to long am charging now any other things to try

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harry1025 View Post
    How many different things will make this code appear dealer suggested oil level it's OK Internet suggested battery after sitting idle to long am charging now any other things to try
    Please provide more information if you expect help with this. Model and year of Spyder? What VSS code are you talking about - the icon on the dashboard? Is it continuous or intermittent? What are you doing at the time it comes on / goes off? What, if anything, had you changed about your bike right before you started having this issue?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...🤔

VSS being the vehicle stability system usually sharp angles like parking on a hill, long sweeping banked curves, lifting a wheel off the ground, spinning the rear wheel into a slide etc. Any sensor tied into the system. Generally clears when corrected or computers reset...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry about that

Model 2015 rts this icon came on the dash so far nothing is wrong no issues will riding nothing on the digital screen no performance reduction just the light on the dash

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Model 2015 rts this icon came on the dash so far nothing is wrong no issues will riding nothing on the digital screen no performance reduction just the light on the dash
    The VSS is a pretty complex system involving a number of sensors, mostly in the wheels to measure rotational speed. Temporary warning would indicate the system had sensed one or more wheels had lost traction so the system kicked in to try to rectify the situation. The icon should not stay on, particularly at rest (i.e. no forward motion). If it does, then someone (dealer or smart phone app) should pull the fault codes to see why.

I can't imagine that a low battery would cause only this fault and no other. Low brake fluid could cause it I suppose, but it's more likely you'd get other fault lights (e.g. brake failure).

To reiterate, intermittent icon flashing is no cause for concern. Chronic icon display is something that needs investigation and possible correction (or just clearing the fault light if no codes present).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Vss

Tire pressures were low has been corrected dealer did mention steering issue but didn't notice anything I don't accelerate hard enough to spin tires I don't ride aggressively so there should not be any issues with stability

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check the sensor connection under the passenger seat. If it's not connected you'll get the light on the dash but not see or feel any operational problems.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Harry, did it just come on once or is it still coming on? Like others said if it was a one time event I wouldn't worry much about it. If it happens again make a mental note of what exactly you were doing when it happened.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Tire pressures were low has been corrected dealer .....
    Hey Harry, did he tell you how low the pressures were?? Or if the tires were just running different pressures to each other??

I somehow doubt that tire pressures being just a little low would cause a VSS intervention, since a few of us regularly run with our front tires as low as 12-14psi without any issue, & also some of us have (for various reasons) ridden some distance with less than 8psi in the front tires without any VSS intervention.... and even if it was a pressure imbalance between the left & right front tires, I think it'd hafta be a pretty big imbalance to actually cause the VSS to intervene!! Besides, many of us here have felt the handling issues that different front tire pressures can help bring about, but I don't think anyone has actually had such an imbalance cause any VSS intervention, so all that sorta suggests that the tire pressure thing is a bit of a furphy, possibly made up cos the dealer simply had no idea & didn't want to admit it!!

All verrry interesting, but not funny!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Still looking

Have the fobo tms tires weren't that low have charged battery and will now check the seat as I installed a driver backrest and the seat was off yesterday was first ride since so may be just a seat issue and there is a laptop logo on the panel were you access the coolant is this something we can use or only the dealer an app was mentioned what is it called and is android compatible

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have the fobo tms tires weren't that low have charged battery and will now check the seat as I installed a driver backrest and the seat was off yesterday was first ride since so may be just a seat issue and there is a laptop logo on the panel were you access the coolant is this something we can use or only the dealer an app was mentioned what is it called and is android compatible
    I bet it's the pillion seat sensor you forgot to hook back up again.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Many thanks

To those that helped me with a reply thank you as it turns out I did leave the seat sensor unplugged when I put the seat back on after installing my driver backrest again I should have double checked everything is good now and my worries are gone for now again thanks everyone

Spyder Garage

dead thread resurrection.
    after i pumped gas today upon start up i got VSS and i was wth it quickly went off i did a few turn around the parking lot and everything appears fine.
    TRIKE goes in 12/12 for the 3k service