Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RAM X-Grip Mount Input

I won a RAM X-Grip phone/GPS mounting system at a Bike Night raffle last week. This was on my farkle list and I was happy. It looks cool, but the problem is it came with a U-Bolt handlebar mounting system that I don't believe will fit my RT-S handlebars. Also, I would prefer a center-mount location rather than out on the bars.

The system looks like it is modular and I can switch the bottom part to another type of mount location. I was looking for opinions on a good center-mount RAM system that people on the Forum have used and liked. Just looking for the bottom mount piece, don't need the X-grip itself.

Thanks for any input!

Spyder Garage

Default Bike Night

Hank, That's awesome that you won the mount at Bike Night! I ended up having to work later than expected and it was still misting rain on us at 530 so I decided to wimp out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adzgrrrl View Post
    Hank, That's awesome that you won the mount at Bike Night! I ended up having to work later than expected and it was still misting rain on us at 530 so I decided to wimp out.
    The weather was really sketchy, not surprised y'all didn't make it because of your longer ride to get there. I live about 5 mins away from the location or else I wouldn't have gone either. Low turnout and no Spyders this time anyhow. Maybe next time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    I won a RAM X-Grip phone/GPS mounting system at a Bike Night raffle last week. This was on my farkle list and I was happy. It looks cool, but the problem is it came with a U-Bolt handlebar mounting system that I don't believe will fit my RT-S handlebars. Also, I would prefer a center-mount location rather than out on the bars.

The system looks like it is modular and I can switch the bottom part to another type of mount location. I was looking for opinions on a good center-mount RAM system that people on the Forum have used and liked. Just looking for the bottom mount piece, don't need the X-grip itself.

Thanks for any input!
    Depends on what handlbars you have. I have the tri-axis and they have a 1/4 inch mounting hole right in the center where I have mine mounted. I have a 1/4 inch to ram-ball mount.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Default GPS mount

Do a search for Leader mounts or technology.
    They have many options for Spyders.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Depends on what handlbars you have. I have the tri-axis and they have a 1/4 inch mounting hole right in the center where I have mine mounted. I have a 1/4 inch to ram-ball mount.
    2017 RTS, stock/oem handlebars

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster has a real nice one

Thanks for any input!
    I have that setup. I ended up going with the Lamonster Garage model here.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...h-12v-cig-usb/

Love having the power port right below the device.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I have that setup. I ended up going with the Lamonster Garage model here.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...h-12v-cig-usb/

Love having the power port right below the device.
    I like it! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I have the 2017 RTS.
    Got the LAMONSTER F3 DUAL POWER PLATE WITH LARGE X-GRIP.
    I like the two USB ports and the DC port. Work and looks great.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-large-x-grip/

Dean
    2017 RT-S , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I opted for a ram mount that is L spaced and replaces one of the stock handle screws.

Similar to this: http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx

Spyder Garage

Seen a few people lose their phones using the X-grip. I'd sell it and get a Tec-Mount. Spyderpops sells them.

Just my .02 .. but with a $800 phone I'm not chancing it....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KosherKid View Post
    I opted for a ram mount that is L spaced and replaces one of the stock handle screws.

Similar to this: http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx
    Ok, that's exactly the one I want, simple and cheap. Thanks much! I'll look and see if Lamonster has that one and order from him if possible. Thanks for the link.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Seen a few people lose their phones using the X-grip. I'd sell it and get a Tec-Mount. Spyderpops sells them.

Just my .02 .. but with a $800 phone I'm not chancing it....

I wonder if the ones that lost their phone were using the additional rubber-band type securing system that you put on after you get the phone in the grip. I'll do some more research, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default never lost it

I wonder if the ones that lost their phone were using the additional rubber-band type securing system that you put on after you get the phone in the grip. I'll do some more research, thanks.
    On my side, an iPhone5 with the x-grip (without the rubber band) on my F3 handle and more than 7K miles without any issue.

But, it's a real Ram Mount X-Grip and not a Chinese cheap replica found on ebay. (not sure they are that cheap, but I doesn't want to take the chance...)
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Dash mount???

I made a dash mount like JT sells on this site. With a RAM ball and long extension it puts the phone just ( JUST) below my line of sight. Mount at the bar center means you'll have to drop your vision down to see the phone.

There is a also a rubber net for the X-grip to hold a phone without any fear of loss.

Good luck. Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    I made a dash mount like JT sells on this site. With a RAM ball and long extension it puts the phone just ( JUST) below my line of sight. Mount at the bar center means you'll have to drop your vision down to see the phone.

There is a also a rubber net for the X-grip to hold a phone without any fear of loss.

Good luck. Kaos
    Thanks! I have the original X-Grip (not a Chinese knock-off), and the rubber net was included. I think the center mount shown in an earlier post will work well for me. The stem pieces I already have will bring it up to a reasonable height for me. I also have BT helmet paired to phone so I wont have to look too often.

Spyder Garage

I ended up getting this one:

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-mount-for-rt/

The extra bolt seems more secure than the single bolt version.

Thanks for all the input/feedback!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Minor correction. It's a 6 mm hole, not 1/4". And yes, it is a good place to bolt something onto the Tri-Axis HB.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have the RAM X-Grip on my 2013 ST. Sometimes the rubber tips like to move off the arms they are inserted on. I put super glue on the rubber where it inserts to the arm. No problem now.
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

Default mounts

I have this set up. Mounts.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    I have this set up. Mounts.jpg
    I looked carefully at a dash-mount system but decided to try the center-mount first. Now I'm reading previous threads that getting the handlebar bolts off is a real pain in the xxx. I hope this doesn't turn into a stripped-thread project .

Spyder Garage

Default I had no issues

I looked carefully at a dash-mount system but decided to try the center-mount first. Now I'm reading previous threads that getting the handlebar bolts off is a real pain in the xxx. I hope this doesn't turn into a stripped-thread project .
    I don't remember having any issues. Just make sure you have the right size hex socket, 7mm and a socket wrench with ample leverage.
    Last edited by Brentc; 09-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Xgrip losing phone....

I have been set up that way for 2 years now. I am pretty sure that the peoples losing their phone is because the don't use a case for their smartphone. In my case, I always have it in a case that is kind of shock proof, therefore more "adhesive" than chrome metal..... never had a problem, nor did it ever move in the holder. Never used the elastic band neither. And trust me, the road around here are not in the best shape at all..... :-)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Angry Well that was fun.....NOT

After snapping off TWO Craftsman 7mm hex bits trying to get 2 of the handlebar bolts off to install my Lamonster Ram Center Mount, I finally relented and borrowed my friend's impact wrench and ultra heavy duty bit. I was using a 1/2-inch drive socket with a handle extender so I had plenty of leverage, and was making sure the bit was exactly straight on the bolt head....the bits just couldn't handle the torque.

After I got the bolts out, I saw the issue. Apparently BRP's Spyder Assembly Manual calls for about half a tube of yellow thread locker compound to be put on each bolt . I've never seen so much thread lock compound used on anything. Lamonster's replacement bolts were 8mm for some reason, which was actually good because it gave me more bit metal to prevent snapping something on re-assembly. I used a moderate amount of blue loctite on the re-assembly and will check tightness after a few days.

The job is done and the Ram mount is great....it was just a pain in the *%&&.

Spyder Garage

Default Ram mount

I've got a Samsung S6 Edge with a X grip with multiple Ram mounts. I have a mount on my bars, on the passenger handles, and attached to my dash. I've got over 60K on my RT and same phone. Been thru No Dak, So Dak, Wy, Mt, Mo, Mn, Ia, plenty of wind on the plains, Same phone. Check on ebay or amazon. Also check Ram mount .com to get specific mounts and then surf the net

sincerely, Grandpa Pete
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala