Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default question about the majic mirrors

I was looking at the magic mirrors and was trying to figure out if you get 3 for each side or only 2 for each side. I saw one video where all three were replaced but then I read where people only talk about replacing the bottom two. I went to lamonster web site and from what I can tell you only get 2 per side. If that is the case do you keep spare plastic clips for the top as that seems to be a weak point in the design. Both mine broke simply removing the mirror. I ordered the factory replacements but am debating cancelling the order and getting the magic mirrors. I have a hard time justyfying it though if you only get the bottom 2.

Thank you all,

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got 3 per side

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I got 3 per side
    Same here. I don't see what the advantage would be in replacing only the bottom two.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes you get 3, installing 2 is optional. I love mine.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 or 3

I've done extensive testing .... and I think TWO works better .... I think the problem with breakage was due to the lower OEM clips causing so much difficulty ..... having the two magnets on the bottom solves that issue ..... if you take the mirror OFF and do it the way you are supposed to , there is no issue with breakage that I can see, because the mirror now goes straight up instead of at angle with the OEM posts................Mike

Spyder Garage

The Magic Mirrors originally went with the 3 Magnets each side because when the idea first hit the streets, at least here in Aus, the TOP clip was the major issue with the OE design & the most frequent failure, especially on pre-2014 Spyders, but some ryders in the US were also complaining about the bottom clips being an issue also; so Russ, the bloke who took the original idea & initiated all the research & testing that led to the whole Magic Mirrors product, decided it was a no brainer to simply replace all 3 mounts!! And as far as all the original 'crash test dummy' team could ascertain, the 3 magnet replacement for the 3 OE clips not only made the most sense, but it provided the simplest and most complete solution to ANY & ALL the OE mirror mount failures too. However, others (like Mike, see above) have come up with different versions that seem to work fine for them, so if you don't think you need all 3, then it's your choice as to what you put on.

Me, I've now done over 45,000 miles running the Magic Mirror mounts using 3 magnets on each mirror, & the mirrors have survived rough roads, pot holes, railway tracks, spoon drains, kerb hops, low speeds, high speeds, & bird strikes all without any issues at all - in fact they even stayed firmly fixed in place when my LH front wheel was taken out from behind while I was ryding along at the speed limit (about 30mph) by a stoned driver travelling about twice that speed who sideswiped me from behind & kept on driving!! (she got caught tho!) So for my 2 bob, I'm sticking with 3 Magic Mirror magnets per Mirror on my Spyder - & No, I still don't feel the need to bother with tethers either!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2017 at 04:11 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got three in mine and I am perfectly happy with them, they improve the whole DIY thing a lot.
    I installed all three, Buckeye Chuck and I meet up occassionally and he pointed out that if I remove a washer under the front magnet, my Mirrors will fit more flush than they ever did.

Chuck rydes about 40-50k MILES per year on his Spyder and he likes only replacing the bottom two. He did that after making a mirror adjustment while moving and the mirror came loose, but he retrieved it. So he went home and put the top post in.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

I do a lot of work on my Spyder RTS, and the magic mirrors (I used all three) were a great investment. I cracked too many top clips!! With all three I can push the Spyder down the driveway pushing on the mirrors, but a quick vertical bump pops them right off. Rough roads, high speeds, etc. no problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The Magic Mirrors originally went with the 3 Magnets each side because when the idea first hit the streets, at least here in Aus, the TOP clip was the major issue with the OE design & the most frequent failure, especially on pre-2014 Spyders, but some ryders in the US were also complaining about the bottom clips being an issue also; so Russ, the bloke who took the original idea & initiated all the research & testing that led to the whole Magic Mirrors product, decided it was a no brainer to simply replace all 3 mounts!! And as far as all the original 'crash test dummy' team could ascertain, the 3 magnet replacement for the 3 OE clips not only made the most sense, but it provided the simplest and most complete solution to ANY & ALL the OE mirror mount failures too. However, others (like Mike, see above) have come up with different versions that seem to work fine for them, so if you don't think you need all 3, then it's your choice as to what you put on.

Me, I've now done over 45,000 miles running the Magic Mirror mounts using 3 magnets on each mirror, & the mirrors have survived rough roads, pot holes, railway tracks, spoon drains, kerb hops, low speeds, high speeds, & bird strikes all without any issues at all - in fact they even stayed firmly fixed in place when my LH front wheel was taken out from behind while I was ryding along at the speed limit (about 30mph) by a stoned driver travelling about twice that speed who sideswiped me from behind & kept on driving!! (she got caught tho!) So for my 2 bob, I'm sticking with 3 Magic Mirror magnets per Mirror on my Spyder - & No, I still don't feel the need to bother with tethers either!

Over to you!

Spyder Garage

I do a lot of work on my Spyder and installed all 3 magnets. They have been on there for a few months now without any problems at all. Great product and one of the best add ons to date. Don't see any advantage on installing only 2 magnets, my opinion.
    2015 RT SE6 LIMITED, Black
    Tri Axis Handlebar,
    Ultimate Mid Rider Seat with Fuel Door
    F4 Wide Tinted Windshield, with Vent
    Tric Led Mirror Signals
    Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Air Horn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ttrac View Post
    I do a lot of work on my Spyder and installed all 3 magnets. They have been on there for a few months now without any problems at all. Great product and one of the best add ons to date. Don't see any advantage on installing only 2 magnets, my opinion.

Dittos.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I installed all 3 magnets on my RTS. Why do a job half ass?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Lamonster now sells a 4 pack (two for the bottom spring clips only) and a 6 pack (My preference also as some of the others above have posted)
    I hated the top pins/clips and have heard of others breaking those, yes they're cheap to replace, but all 6 magnets have held up to plenty of abuse just fine.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Installed 3 per side here also.
    THE BEST, and simplest-- mod I've done to date

Spyder Garage

I use all 3 per side without any issues at all...LOVE 'EM
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default So Majic Mirror mounts don't cause any issues with gauges anymore?

Just a question.......I remember reading many posts in the past about issues with the readings on the dash when these were used. So is none of that valid anymore ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they do scramble up your auxiliary gauges: just rake the top magnet out, and turn it around...
    I went with three magnets per side on my 2014.
    On the new bike: I'm going to get adventurous!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never had any issues with my Mirror mounts.

Spyder Garage

I have all three on each side and never had any issues with gauges being affected, I think someone was just supposing that it could happen.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default I use 3

I, like most, use 3 per mirror. Great solution.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 3 mags

I recently installed the Magic Mirrors with 3 per side. Love the concept. BUT---- as its 20*F and snowing I haven't seen if they effect the gauges.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirrors

AS others have stated 3, Is the Better Way To GO. I use the 3 per mirror set up.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

On my 2013 I'm using just 2 on each side. I just put them on and I've been on 1 ride since but on problems. Those magnets are pretty strong. If I need to I'll order 2 magnets from Ebay or someplace else and use them on the top. That is 1 of the best Farkles to do for sure. IMO

Spyder Garage

We have installed a number of sets of these. Both 3 and 2 magnet versions. Both work just fine and the 2 magnet versions are cheaper. Once the lower 2 clips are replaced with magnets, the upper slip over clip will no longer get broken pounding the lower clips on and off. As such, when asked by customers, we now recommend the 2 magnet per mirror option, but both work fine.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default We do, too

We find 2 magnets to replace the lower clips works great. Only found 2 top clips broken in 7 years. Plenty of lower ones. The upper Works as a hanger. Your choice. Thanks, Lamont, for offering a choice.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Guage Issues with Magic Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Just a question.......I remember reading many posts in the past about issues with the readings on the dash when these were used. So is none of that valid anymore ?
    First off let me state that the magic mirrors upgrade is the best thing I ever did. The mirrors are more stable and more secure (less vibration) than the manufacture mounts. I did have the issue with the gauges in the dash (Fuel and Temperature) reading off due to the magnets. What I had to do was to flip magnets over and find the right combination of polarity so that the gauge would read correctly. It took a few tries but I got it right. Also, It was mentioned that a slight "rerouting" of the wire harness in the dash (not much would be required) would also help with this.
    2012 RTS

2012 RtS M5 , Stock Homemade Metallic Silver