Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure warning

My 2013 ST has developed an issue. Shortly after leaving home, the brake indicator light comes back on and the screen flashes brake failure. If I hit the brakes, they appear to work properly. If I stop, apply the park brake, shut the engine off, wait a minute then restart, release the park brake and drive off it is ok for awhile. This happens more in the morning when the humidity is higher than later in the day. Any suggestions short of taking it to the shop?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their input on this issue. I have added brake fluid and the problem no longer exists. Thank you again and have a great day!
    Dusty
    Last edited by Dusty; 09-09-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Top off the brake fluid, even if it looks ok. The nanny is very sensitive to low fluid levels.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid is low!
    Time to fill it up
    This is NORMAL

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    My 2013 ST has developed an issue. Shortly after leaving home, the brake indicator light comes back on and the screen flashes brake failure. If I hit the brakes, they appear to work properly. If I stop, apply the park brake, shut the engine off, wait a minute then restart, release the park brake and drive off it is ok for awhile. This happens more in the morning when the humidity is higher than later in the day. Any suggestions short of taking it to the shop?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The ST had some issues with the brake light indicator switch sticking. Do you know if your brake lights are stuck on when you get the message? If they are you can clean the switch but it probably needs replacement.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The ST had some issues with the brake light indicator switch sticking. Do you know if your brake lights are stuck on when you get the message? If they are you can clean the switch but it probably needs replacement.
    From my own personal experience a sticking brake light switch will not cause a brake failure message. I drove almost 2,000 miles with a sticky brake light switch and never had a problem except with the cruise control. Riding with your foot on the brake pedal will cause a fault however because of the low pressure switch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Likely low brake fluid, but rather than make a wild a** guess get the fault code. While the fault is active and displayed on the screen. Press Mode, Set and Turn Cancel at the same time. Post the code(s) on here and we will confirm.

Since it is 2013 it should be due for it's second brake bled to change out the fluid.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

When I first got my 2012 RS, I encountered this problem. I discovered it was nothing more than my foot position unintentionally depressing the brake while riding. Nanny didn't like the brake being applied while accelerating. Go figure. Adjusting my foot position eliminated the problem.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Brake fluid is low!
    Time to fill it up
    This is NORMAL

AJ
    AJ is correct---as the brake pads wear down--the caliper's require more fluid to push the pads to the rotor's- which lowers the brake fluid reservoir. However if the fluid level is significantly lower than either the pads are nearing replacement time or a possible brake fluid leak exists.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Reasons....

Some reasons mentioned here.....
    fluid level
    brakelight switch
    brakelight bulbs
    brake pads
    foot on the brake pedal while ryding
    fluid level sensors

there may be more....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had this exact problem...bought my 2010 RTS from a remote dealer this year in April.
    Rode it for 150 miles, brought it to my dealer for an oil change and complete inspection.
    Rode it off the lot and BANG...Brake Failure warning light came on. Brought it back and the topped off the fluid and the light went away....

STOP.....then 75 miles later, Warning on Again.....
    The dealer "bled the line" ( $200 worth). 2,500 miles later to date...everything is good. It did the fix.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Light

Had the same problem until the service technician showed me how to put the brake resivor caps on properly. There's a small raised bar on each cap that must face to rear of bike. This allows the air to escape w/o fluid loss.
    Yes, it is in the manual.

Spyder Garage

I agree with your comment about brake fluid level. My parking would not release, I checked the fluid and it was down. Once I added fluid the PB started working again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Top off the brake fluid, even if it looks ok. The nanny is very sensitive to low fluid levels.
    Thank You. My2013 RSS Brake sensor light started to flash. The Bike just turned 3,000 miles. Read the forums. It has been in the garage all winter with tender on it. The Solution: Literally 2 Tablespoons of Brake Fluid. Thankk You Again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleruckle View Post
    Thank You. My2013 RSS Brake sensor light started to flash. The Bike just turned 3,000 miles. Read the forums. It has been in the garage all winter with tender on it. The Solution: Literally 2 Tablespoons of Brake Fluid. Thankk You Again!
    Very common. If the reservoir gets down just a tiny bit, it can throw codes. A bit anal for my liking. It would be nice if BRP backed this sensor off a bit.

Remember to remove fluid from the reservoir BEFORE changing your brake pads! If you don't, you'll get brake fluid all over the back of your Spyder. Brake fluid is corrosive, but water soluble. So a good rinse will fix it if you forget.

On another note. Seems to be a rash of resurrected posts lately. I think I saw one from 2012 the other day. Could it be the 'Shelter At Home' that everyone has been doing? Though it does remind me of simpler days.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-25-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Very common. If the reservoir gets down just a tiny bit, it can throw codes. A bit anal for my liking. It would be nice if BRP backed this sensor off a bit.

Remember to remove fluid from the reservoir BEFORE changing your brake pads! If you don't, you'll get brake fluid all over the back of your Spyder. Brake fluid is corrosive, but water soluble. So a good rinse will fix it if you forget.

On another note. Seems to be a rash of resurrected posts lately. I think I saw one from 2012 the other day. Could it be the 'Shelter At Home' that everyone has been doing? Though it does remind me of simpler days.
    Hey I was having the same issue with my 2013 st-s. I took it to the dealer and found out that the sensors inside the brake reservoir were bad. They will sometimes stick to the bottom even when full of brake fluid. They put new reservoir on with new sensors. Problem fixed.

Spyder Garage

Answer 11 is a sure bet if caps are not on properly. You will lose brake fluid through breather hole.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure light on

I friend's 2013 RSS is showing the Brake failure light on and off front time to time. The right floorboard has dropped down a few times while this takes place under hard braking. I was wondering if the fact that the exhaust is right next to the Master cylider if the heat from it can either boil the fluid or just cause bubbles in the brake system. It only happens on HOT days under extensive long riding. I am going to wrap the entire exhaust pipe from the engine down to join the muffler. The tape is only 28 bucks anyway and does not look hard to do. I checked for leaks everywhere and there are none obious ones and the fluid is at the correct level in both reservoirs. Any creative suggestions or ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Oldtimer51; 10-18-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: corrections

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When brake fluid drops it's time to keep a check on pad wear. I use a small flashlight and a dentist's mirror. Don't let them go down so far that they screw up your rotors.