Spyder Garage

Default Front flasher wire color?

Installing dual color LED set. White running light/amber blinker combo for lower front arms. I need to tap into the left and right blinker lines. Is the wire to the front flashers the gray wire-(located under the dash beneath the handlebars on each side-see photo-which is upside down.) This color matches the color of the gray wire at the turn signal light. The good old shop manual has no color coding. 2008 GS Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philbtv; 09-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Phil,

Re: I need to tap into the left and right blinker lines.

So will I, soon. Keep us ( me ) posted on how this goes.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Let me know if you need a hand with any of this.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Front flasher wire color

Jerry,

I'll let you know. The day runners work fine. The guy at custom Dynamics said I could just tap into the left and right flasher wires if I wanted to. The wiring harness they supplied requires a plug which is nowhere to be found...at least by human hands. I'll know tomorrow-when the Posi-tap connectors arrive.

Phil
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Phil,

Re: left and right blinker lines.

Is your photo looking into the area under the instrument panel? I'm trying see where these lines that you want to tap into are located. Or did you remove the frunk for access to these wires?

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Front flasher wire color

Yes Jerry it is under the instrument panel. As I mentioned earlier the wire I'm thinking about using matches a wire leading to the blinker. There are a pair of plugs, on each side, under the dash board off toward the outside.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Flasher wires

Found the front flasher wires! OK, 2008 GS. If you are looking for the front flasher wires they are behind the display panel. Pop off the display panel. If you have a tall windscreen you will need to remove it. The flasher wires plug into the harness near the center of the frame. The right side flasher has black and yellow/gray wires. I guessed that I should use the colored wire-I guessed wrong. At least on this Spyder you use the black wire for the right flasher. On the left side the wires are Gray and Black. Tap into the gray wire-NOT THE BLACK. (This is where using Posi-Tap connectors is a huge bonus. If you tap the wrong wire you just remove the Posi-Tap. It leaves a pin hole in the wire. Much better than a blade style jumper.) The kit for this dual color LED daytime runner/blinker comes from Custom Dynamics. Even though the service tech couldn't tell me where to find the wire he did confirm that once I found the blinker wire that I could simply tap into it. The kit leaves plenty of wire to reach where the flasher wires are hidden.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Flasher wires 2008 GS

2008 Can Am Spyder GS flasher wire location
    Pop out the instrument panel using a small screwdriver and the two holes above the dash. Be sure the screwdriver goes into the small slots on top of the instrument panel. You will feel the snaps release when you push on it. Directions are in the owners manual. If you have a tall wind screen you will need to remove it.
    IMG_3242.jpg
    The right side flasher connector. (There are just two connectors sitting right there between the headlights, on top of the main frame steel.)
    IMG_3244.jpg
    There is some black shrink wrap-remove it.On my Spyder-wire colors are Black and Yellow/Gray.
    IMG_3245.jpg
    I found the Black wire was the one that worked on the right side.
    It is easy to thread the yellow “blinker” wire from the LED to this location.
    IMG_3249.jpgLEFT SIDE
    The flasher connector on the left side has Black and Gray wires. I found unplugging the connector gave me more wire to play with. There are also some “hooks” on the upper rear where you can tuck the wires in when you finish. (These are on both sides.)
    IMG_3248.jpg
    Again, remove the shrink wrap to expose the two wires.

On the left side-on my Spyder-you use the Gray wire.

Again the yellow wire from the LED strip threads easily to this location. I used tie wraps to secure this wire and relieve the tension. Tuck the wires in and replace the instrument panel and you are ready to go. One important note: when you put the instrument panel back in you must be sure the bottom two fingers or clips are in place-BEFORE you snap in the top of the panel. If you don’t you will have one heck of a time getting it back out and correctly seated. Those top clips are tough to free.

Before you start this I'd suggest getting some Posi-Tap connectors. These are great for tapping into wires without destroying them. You can tap into the wrong wire, remove the posi-tap and all you leave is a pin hole in the wire. This is helpful since the Can Am shop manual doesn't list wire colors. They make it fast and easy.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Flasher wires 2008 GS more pictures

IMG_3247.jpg
    This is the Posi-Tap connector on the RIGHT side (black) flasher/blinker wire.

IMG_3250.jpg
    This is the Posi-Tap on the LEFT side (gray) flasher/blinker wire

IMG_3251.jpgOther end of the Posi-Tap with the yellow wire from the Custom Dynamics LED strip.

IMG_3253.jpg
    Daytime running lights. They turn amber and flash when you use the turn signal.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to Auto Zone or Napa and get a 12 volt test light then you can find
    the correct wire easily. They will show you how to use it.
    cost about $6 to $10

Quote Originally Posted by philbtv View Post
    Installing dual color LED set. White running light/amber blinker combo for lower front arms. I need to tap into the left and right blinker lines. Is the wire to the front flashers the gray wire-(located under the dash beneath the handlebars on each side-see photo-which is upside down.) This color matches the color of the gray wire at the turn signal light. The good old shop manual has no color coding. 2008 GS Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

Re: cost about $6 to $10

About 4 weeks ago I bought one for my son-in-law at Ace Hardware; about $10.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Now, I need to borrow it from him.

2008 GS SE-5