Thread: LapTop

Spyder Garage

Default LapTop

If any of you carry a laptop what kind do you carry, A chrome book is not going to work I have one and they are only good for a few things. I will need to run Base Camp and need access to both banking and my trading accounts. I can do the banking and trading on my phone but I do need access to Road Runner and a few other mags as well as Rever if I am in a location I want to add some routes to. Apple is out I am a PC person. I think a Ultra 13" will fit in either my Fronk or a Teebag. I don't really want a back pack strapped to my back I don't think it will work with a seat with a back rest.

I have never used a laptop with a 13 inch screen, this really needs to work well for just regular car travel as well. I don't mind spending up to 1,000 or a little more.... better processor/more memory and SSD drive.

So what do most of you carry?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider60 View Post
    If any of you carry a laptop what kind do you carry, A chrome book is not going to work I have one and they are only good for a few things. I will need to run Base Camp and need access to both banking and my trading accounts. I can do the banking and trading on my phone but I do need access to Road Runner and a few other mags as well as Rever if I am in a location I want to add some routes to. Apple is out I am a PC person. I think a Ultra 13" will fit in either my Fronk or a Teebag. I don't really want a back pack strapped to my back I don't think it will work with a seat with a back rest. I have never used a laptop with a 13 inch screen, this really needs to work well for just regular car travel as well. I don't mind spending up to 1,000 or a little more.... better processor/more memory and SSD drive. So what do most of you carry?
    I used to carry a large laptop but now just carry a Samsung tablet. Haven't tried loading BaseCamp yet. I think if you can afford it, one of the top-rated laptops with a SSD would be the most useful. My wife likes her HP Envy, which she has had for 3 years.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'd really like a Microsoft Surface Pro primarily for BaseCamp on the road, but at present have other claimers for spare $$. Have an old tax volunteer colleague who travels all the time and swears by his.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have carried a business class Dell Latitude laptop for better than 15 yrs. (not the same one, several upgrades) An E73xx series sounds about right for you. The Latitude business class machines are built MUCH better than the plastic consumer laptops and are also serviceable, upgradeable and work on a docking station when you are home so it works as a full desktop replacement as well. Let me know if you would like some specific recommendations and pointers to some good deals on them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

MacBook Air. Light, compact and covers it all.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Toshiba Satellite here....it's been a good all around laptop with no complaints from me. I think I got it for $600 about 5 yrs ago. No problems with Chrome or Windows 10 at all
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default HP

HP Envy (17" screen). I run Basecamp and down load route logs into Basecamp and upload planned routes to our Zumo 660. Works great.

We are currently in the middle of a 10 day trip out of central Ohio having rode the Great Lakes Seaway from its western terminus to the easten end. Today rode south through the Adirondacks. All ten days were preplanned, uploaded to the Zumo and at the end of each day I download the actual route log from the Zumo back to Basecamp.

We are on a 2014 RT Ltd pulling an RT-622 trailer. This is out second multi-day trip this year. Did the Natchez Trace in May.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I dished the Dell for a Surface Pro 4 and haven't looked back.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    MacBook Air. Light, compact and covers it all.
    He wants a PC!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My son who's a BMW GS Adventure guy bought a small Dell for BaseCamp on the road because he just couldn't get the Mac BC software to work smoothly. Don't know model. It's small but larget than a tablet; think he got it at Costco.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

+1 for the Microsoft Surface Pro Since it's in your budget, or as others have suggested, a 13" with a SSD, I-3 or better
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    He wants a PC!

Me Bad, only read part of his Thread.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Firstly a few people have mentioned Microsoft Surfaces. If you do get one of these then make sure you take out the accident protection cover when you buy it. A lot of our employees have these at work and we often have to get the screens replaced because they have cracked them. The glass goes up virtually to the edge so any sharp knock is going to damage them. Even protective cases don't seem to be fool proof, they also add a lot of bulk.

My ultra-portable laptop is a Dell XPS 13 2-1 with i7 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD. Got this rather than a Surface as the screens so much better and the keyboard is nicer to use.

My powerhouse laptop is a Eurocom Panther 5 with a 10 Core Intel Xeon processor, 32gb RAM an three 1TB SSD's. Mind you that ones 7.5kg with its power supply so more luggable than portable:-)

The one I take on motorcycle trips is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1 which I brought for next to nothing secondhand on eBay. Made sure I got one with a i5 processor, 8Gb Ram and twin batteries. Fitted it with an 512gb SSD, installed Windows 10 and it runs surprisingly quick. The design looks a bit old fashioned but its very light for it's size. Has a very readable screen and can stand a little rain, knocks, etc. Also has a touch screen and can turn into a tablet (though a thick one:-)). This is actually a surprisingly good laptop though with 2 batteries you still only get 3-4 hours use when the screens on full brightness.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 09-05-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lenovo Twist is what I have been using for a few years, has served well as a traditional laptop, a tent laptop or a tablet format.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Laptop

Thanks I am looking at both the Dell XPS and HP Spectre X 360.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Firstly a few people have mentioned Microsoft Surfaces. If you do get one of these then make sure you take out the accident protection cover when you buy it. A lot of our employees have these at work and we often have to get the screens replaced because they have cracked them. The glass goes up virtually to the edge so any sharp knock is going to damage them. Even protective cases don't seem to be fool proof, they also add a lot of bulk.

My ultra-portable laptop is a Dell XPS 13 2-1 with i7 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD. Got this rather than a Surface as the screens so much better and the keyboard is nicer to use.

My powerhouse laptop is a Eurocom Panther 5 with a 10 Core Intel Xeon processor, 32gb RAM an three 1TB SSD's. Mind you that ones 7.5kg with its power supply so more luggable than portable:-)

The one I take on motorcycle trips is a Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1 which I brought for next to nothing secondhand on eBay. Made sure I got one with a i5 processor, 8Gb Ram and twin batteries. Fitted it with an 512gb SSD, installed Windows 10 and it runs surprisingly quick. The design looks a bit old fashioned but its very light for it's size. Has a very readable screen and can stand a little rain, knocks, etc. Also has a touch screen and can turn into a tablet (though a thick one:-)). This is actually a surprisingly good laptop though with 2 batteries you still only get 3-4 hours use when the screens on full brightness.