Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default California DMV sucks

I recently got my 2013 RT registered in Ca. I must say it was an adventure getting an out of state spyder registered in Ca. They nearly took me out in handcuffs when the idiot told me I did not have a Motorcycle license. I told him none was needed in California. After going back and forth and speaking with management I finally got my tags and temporary plates. After what they charged me for transfer, tags and taxes a person wonders why California has a money problem?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    I recently got my 2013 RT registered in Ca. I must say it was an adventure getting an out of state spyder registered in Ca. They nearly took me out in handcuffs when the idiot told me I did not have a Motorcycle license. I told him none was needed in California. After going back and forth and speaking with management I finally got my tags and temporary plates. After what they charged me for transfer, tags and taxes a person wonders why California has a money problem?
    It has been said here a few times that bringing a Spyder into California from another state is either an exercise in perseverance or - well I won't say!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome To Tax and spend California

The people at DMV know you do not need a motorcycle lic. to ride a Spyder
    or any other 3 wheeled rig. California does not consider the Spyder to be a
    motorcycle, so no motorcycle lic. required. Sorry you had all that trouble
    You know they needed all your money here to build the bullet train to Bakersfield and
    for the twin tunnels to send water to LA, The California DMV is and has been a bad joke
    for as long as I have be old enough to drive.
    I see you are in Manteca, I am 15 miles North East of you give me a call some time maybe
    we can go for a ride.
    Dave
    209-887-3283

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 09-04-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The people at DMV know you do not need a motorcycle lic. to ride a Spyder
    or any other 3 wheeled rig. California does not consider the Spyder to be a
    motorcycle, so no motorcycle lic. required. Sorry you had all that trouble
    You know they needed all your money here to build the bullet train to Bakersfield and
    for the twin tunnels to send water to LA, The California DMV is and has been a bag joke
    for as long as I have be old enough to drive.
    I see you are in Manteca, I am 15 miles North East of you give me a call some time maybe
    we can go for a ride.
    Dave
    209-887-3283
    Well said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smile The Golden State

Just another reason why I left 26 years ago---------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Anyone who has registered (or attempted to register) a vehicle in CA has at least 1 horror story (myself included). It's always been a nightmare, and probably always will be.

The spenders in California will never have enough money. They never saw a budget that they couldn't overspend. (If they even look at the budget at all).

I love CA. It is a beautiful state with, IMHO, more potential than any of the other 49. But I finally threw in the towel in 03. Just couldn't take it anymore.

Tennessee has its issues, of course. But they are in the ballpark of what I am able to deal with. For example. You can register any private vehicle, regardless of year or design, for $88.00 or less. Property taxes are very low. Sales tax is 9.75$ (same as CA) but there is not income tax.

Glad you got out of there without handcuffs!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With the recent demise of circuses most clown colleges have been converted to DMV schools and it is a nationwide problem. I have been licensed in AZ, CA, NY, NJ and VA and, I really hate to say it, but VA was the very best at handling not only vehicle licensing but also driver's licenses - and that was back in the early 70's.

Both AZ and CA issue temporary paper plates then mail the permanent ones later. The prisons must be slow getting new metal ones supplied. At least we only need a rear plate and not front and rear like so many other states. And no dorky tax or inspection stickers on the front windshield either. Those really bugged me back east.

As far as cost goes, most states will get you one way or the other. Here in AZ we don't have a property tax on vehicles per se but an in lieu tax when you register your vehicle. Our registration fee is only $8 but the rest are taxes. Overall we are about in the middle of the 50 states when it comes to total tax money paid to the state.

AZ MVD recently rearranged their offices for better service. Their used to be chairs in which to sit while you waited for
    your number to be called. To reduce wait times they removed the chairs.

Spyder Garage

Default DMV

I am with everyone else, why did you move here? Most of us are trying to get out. Get yourself a AAA account I never go the to the DMV unless it's something AAA cannot handle.

Spyder Garage

you know that the broke state just keeps on spending.....studip

and they can quit stealing our water from Lake Mead anytime and find their own.

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Spyder Garage

I don't understand a lot of things but never could understand why you have to pay sales tax repeatedly on an item. I would rather spend a weekend away with my EX than an hour at the DMV. I honestly would be far less frustrated, pissed and much happier i wasted $$ on her than the DMV by then end of the weekend.

I am lucky enough to have a DMV service in my town where i bring in my stuff and 15min later i get ALL the DMV service i need. It is $60 on top of the DMV cost but would pay 4x that to not deal with the DMV and all the other nasty people in line.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default What can I say...😞

It's the worst...I had to retest to get a renewal and they said I needed a motorcycle license for the spyder. When we moved here they made us all retest I have lived in 10 states and you just walked in turned your license in and they gave you your new license..could go on but
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default CA DMV

I recently moved from Manteca, Ca to St George, UT. Going to the DMV in California is like going to the United Nations. Going to the DMV in Utah is like a drive through experience. So easy. So polite. The people working there outnumbered the people needing service every time I went.

Now getting a drivers license in Utah is not so easy. When you show them your California driver's license they sort of laugh. To get a DL in Utah you have to show proof that you belong in the USA and that you have reason to be in Utah. Oddly, they won't except a California DL or a US passport as either of those things. They want your actual Social Security Card and closing statements on a home or some other billing statement. I had to go dig up my Social Security Card which I found still attached to the mailer that was sent to me a thousand years ago,. I have to say I was impressed that I could find it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So California's DMV sucks...
    Please tell me about one, that doesn't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Now imagine DMV being responsible for administering health care benefits.

Unfortunately, that's not a joke it's a real proposal here in Commiefornia.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

The DMV here is like any other. If you call ahead for an appointment you will be in and out in short order. I have not been inside of a DMV office for 4 plus years. I renew all registrations via the internet, I haven't had to take a drivers test since I can't remember, and still have two years to go on my current liscence.

That being said, I would not consider buying an out of state vehicle as it is a huge hassle. As most of you know, our emissions contrals are pretty strict here I just shop in-state vehicles. Sorry, and happy at the same time, that so many of you left. Sorry you felt you had too, happy that our population dropped. This is the most beautiful state in the union, the only thing I don't like about it............there are too many vehicles in this state!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default california

Here in California, we are pretty much the most taxed citizens in the country. The state doesn't have a money problem, it has a spending problem. The democrats running things never saw a project that they didn't want to spend other people's money on. The only thing that keeps me in the state is the weather here in Ventura.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Like Pirate said........

Go on your computer to Calif. DMV and choose an office close to you. Click on appointment availability and you'll get a list of next available appoint times at that office. Pick one and reserve it. When you get there most often you'll be there no longer than 20 minutes and you're out. It works very well. By the way, if you for any reason get a cranky worker just politely request a supervisor and don't take no for an answer. Believe it or not, the DMV has found a way to try and make our visits to their offices a little less painful.

Spyder Garage

The DMV experience can vary within a state too. Having lived all my life in very crowded Northern NJ, in the shadow of NYC, it's always been a harrowing, painful trip. They are so busy, the workers are rude, they bark at you, and treat you like you're a criminal trying to get over on them.

My daughter needed to renew her drivers license. They expire after 4 years. Every other expiration you need to do it in person at the DMV. The office is in a small mall. The line she got on was set up in a serpentine manner in the mall lobby, not even in the DMV office. The wait time to get inside to just see the receptionist was 3 1/2 hours.

I also have a home in lightly populated South Jersey. I bought my Spyder 2 days before I started my vacation so I decided to bring the paperwork with me and try the office down south. They open at 8, I arrived at 9. Upon arriving, I had thought they had moved to someplace else, there were only 3 cars in the shared parking lot. Nope, they were there, probably 8 employees and only one other customer. I was in and out in 10 minutes. The biggest time was spent by me filling out two forms. And maybe 2-3 minutes of the DMV workers discussing what to put on the title for "MAKE" and "MODEL" It seems NJ's computers don't like CAN AMs. The only thing the computer would allow them to enter was "CAN" for both the "MAKE" and "MODEL" descriptions.

Spyder Garage

Hi Pirate,

Re: our emissions contrals are pretty strict

I would like to disagree somewhat. As I understand it, in California, if the costs of compliance exceeds a certain pre-determined cost then it can be waived & you get your registration, etc.

Here in Oregon there is no waiver under any conditions. No matter the costs of the repair work, you still have to pass the emissions testing; period, end of discussion.

NOTE: This is only for certain areas in the state of Oregon; mostly metropolitan areas.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The above comments do not apply to bringing a vehicle in from 'out of state,' only about your emissions testing program.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Just another reason why I left 26 years ago---------

Got out of there 58 years ago. was nice around San Diego then.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    I don't understand a lot of things but never could understand why you have to pay sales tax repeatedly on an item.
    Example?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Example?
    Motor vehicles.

Spyder Garage

I've had to deal with other DMV's and I feel your pain. I now live in South Carolina and it has the best DMV I have ever dealt with. They are polite, well organized, and inexpensive. When you walk in, there is someone there to make sure you have the correct forms, you sit down until they call your number, and you rarely spend more than 45 minutes there.

Here's the good one; the maximum sales tax you pay on a car (new or used) is $300. No kidding.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Motor vehicles.
    YOU don't pay sales tax multiple times. You pay it only once, when you first buy the vehicle and sometimes not at all (if, like AZ, you buy it from a private party and not a commercial business).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look at taxes as just the cost of living in the greatest Country in the World: it helps a little bit...

...A very little bit!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black