Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Washing a Spyder

Are there any issues with washing down a Spyder by simply spraying with a hose? Any areas to avoid? I particularly want to get bugs and grime out of the grill.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Sure, garden hose is just fine. Don't hold the hose directly against anything. Nothing needs to be avoided. Pressure sprayer stay back a foot or more with a regular nozzle. Never use a rotary nozzle. If for some reason the water does cause a problem and it should not. It's best to know now when it's new and warranty will fix it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I would not spray the dash and steering area including the top of dash. To many holes. Wipe those areas with a damp cloth. Also windshield by hand. I wouldn't get the seat to wet either. You can wet and soap it from the headlights down. That's the dirtiest part anyway.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't leave the key in it while you wash. You need to keep that slot dry.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If there was an automatic car wash for motorcycles, or teens washing vehicles every couple of weeks to raise money, I would be using them! But since there isn't I make do with the hand wash pressure spray and suds brush at a car wash. I wet and wash everything, but do take the key out and keep the spray back a couple of feet or so from the dash. So far both of my Spyders have faithfully carried me for 25k miles each. But then I only wash my Spyder when it really needs it, you know, like about every one or two months when the bug and dirt layer is about a 1/4" thick!

My neighbor said this morning my Spyder is immaculate when I drive by. I said he needs to look closer! I don't know if his eyesight is poor or if he was being overly kind!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The garden hose method is the "least" dangerous spray method. There are a lot of electrical things on the . Water invasion on these may cause electrical issues. I don't spray the dash board, the key area, or into any vents. Hand washing with damp sponge works best.

There are those that use power washers, but they are braver than I am.

Erratric idling or sounding and acting like its on one cylinder after washing, are sure signs that something electrical got wet.

Opinions are going to vary. Pick the one that works for you and that you are most comfortable with.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-05-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There are those that use power washers, but they are braver than I am.
    I've used one of those do it yourself pressure wash a dozen times or more with no problems. I don't spray the seat, handlebars or instrument panel sections for obvious reasons. Afterwards I go for a ten minute ride to blow off most of the water, then finish up any spots by hand if needed. Both trunks and side bags stay dry. Never had a leak.

Bob
    Old Crow

1960 Vespa 150
    1965 Bridgestone 175
    2003 Kawasaki 1600 Classic
    2010 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
    2013 Spyder RT-S (Current ride)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never take my key out when washing, especially not at a car wash, I'm afraid I'd drop it down the floor drains. I spray the dash and have never had a problem. I spray under the seat too. I also ride in the rain.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We just came back from a trip and got caught in the rain the whole ride back. 3.5 hours with some good wind. No problems and all compartments including the trailer stayed dry.
    Not as dry for driver and passenger. Glad it was a Spyder and not a 2 wheeler.
    It was also clean when we came back home.
    Last edited by Saluda; 09-05-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Pressure washers are never good to use on any vehicle. That's just laziness. At the least, it removes your decals, your wax and protective layers on your paint, at the worst, can give you electrical problems.

Hand washing is best to get you close to all the parts of your vehicle and you can see any issues that may be starting. (wear, rust, loose connections, loose body panels)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I never take my key out when washing, especially not at a car wash, I'm afraid I'd drop it down the floor drains. I spray the dash and have never had a problem. I spray under the seat too. I also ride in the rain.
    I agree with you Ann. I don't worry about washing my Spyder. I never take the key out. I do not remove the GPS. I spray the garden over everything twice. Gauges included. First spray is to remove the loose dirt and to soak into the the stuck on stuff. Second spray is to rinse off the soap. I generally don't use a car wash. But I will if I have to. Without any worries about it. Once a year or so I take some of the tupperware off and wash the protected bits under it. Engine, electrical modules, battery. I don't avoid anything. It's never been a problem and I don't expect it to be a problem. BRP uses good quality watertight electrical connectors that can take that kind of use. They also make Sea-doo's and they don't do anything any different on them. Hell they use a similar design gauge cluster that's just as waterproof. I have never had an electrical problem that could even be remotely blamed on water. If I ever did. That just means to me that's a defect that I found that needs to be fixed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ann is correct, I spray everything including the GPS to clean it, under the seat, all the cracks and crevices, key in, and have never had a problem.
    Riding at speed in some of those downpours I have been in I am sure get more water in more places that I ever will washing it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Bugs on windshield and grill

After a long ride in the PM my windshield and front grill get coated with bugs...
    I take a bucket and fill it with very hot water, take a large towel, put it in the bucket and ring it out. I then lay it on the area with bugs and let it sit for 10 minuteswallah, the bugs come off like butter. I do the same with the windshield. No soap, just very hot water.
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

+1 for home water hose, 1 gal bucket with a couple drops of Dawn, automotive cleaning cloth with mesh scrub side and microfiber flip side, key in, GPS mounted, I don't spray the seat or pax backrest just wipe them with clean wet scrub towel. 10,000 miles in 10 months no problems with washing it. I keep a shammy (chamois) and soft scrub cleaning cloth in a ziplock for long trips and have used quarter car washes out away from home.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Bucket of hot soapy water wash everything down , then spray Everything off with a garden hose even under the seat. we've had four RTs and never had a problem. I'm at 34,000 miles on this 2015 RTL and she gets washed at least once a month. They were designed as outdoor machines for crying out loud. Today when I got up she was covered up with ashes from the forest fires in the Gourge rats as I washed her when we got in last night from a 800 mile ride this weekend.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I sure am glad someone else asked this question as I was thinking the same thing. Its made for the outside so it should not hurt to get yet. I have not washed mine yet but when I do I'm thinking just bucket of water, suds it all up then cut loose with my washing mit, rinse, repeat if necessary and be done with it.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best way to wash a Spyder: get a kid or grandkid to do it!
    (But if you're not that lucky: just avoid the electronics-heavy places: left and right handgrips, and the main screen!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

While the electronics on a Spyder are made for outdoor use and are extremely water resistant, a gentle spray with a garden hose, both wetting and rinsing, is my preferred water application method. Remember, Murphy was an optimist.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok so I have been caught in major down pours on my spyder. The key is in the ignition. So what is the difference in spraying a hose near are on the ignition vs. being caught in a major down pour?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your water hose is pressurized...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your water hose is pressurized...
    And don't get me started on the difference between a rain and a pressure washer....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I agree with you Ann. I don't worry about washing my Spyder. I never take the key out. I do not remove the GPS. I spray the garden over everything twice. Gauges included. First spray is to remove the loose dirt and to soak into the the stuck on stuff. Second spray is to rinse off the soap. I generally don't use a car wash. But I will if I have to. Without any worries about it. Once a year or so I take some of the tupperware off and wash the protected bits under it. Engine, electrical modules, battery. I don't avoid anything. It's never been a problem and I don't expect it to be a problem. BRP uses good quality watertight electrical connectors that can take that kind of use. They also make Sea-doo's and they don't do anything any different on them. Hell they use a similar design gauge cluster that's just as waterproof. I have never had an electrical problem that could even be remotely blamed on water. If I ever did. That just means to me that's a defect that I found that needs to be fixed.
    Very good point about washing under the Tupperware and if you have an F3 you'll want to do this more often. The ones I've worked on have been super dirty under the rear plastic.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default washing bike

call me lazey or call me crazey but I will never lay a sponge on my bike.Every Sunday that the sun is shinning I go to the wall mart car wash,it will take my credit card.4 min and 4 bucks later I am on my way.You can't find a scratch on my bike from washing it with a sponge.Yes I also ride in the rain and some times in the snow.40,000 + trouble free miles on this 2014 STL.I'am 77 years old and have been ridding for over 50 years.If I was going to buy something to polish I would buy an apple. Ride on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Don't leave the key in it while you wash. You need to keep that slot dry.
    I based my comment on my experience in Alaska. I left the key in and then had some problems for a while afterward. It was Joe who said I shouldn't have left the key in.

I'm glad to know it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe it was just that particular unit.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Washing is overrated anyway.

A dirty bike is a sign of a bike that's being ridden.

And THAT; is a sign of a very happy rider!