Thread: DIY Tool

Spyder Garage

Default DIY Tool

Hi folks,

Now that I have a Madstad windshield on my '08 GS, it is difficult to get a small screwdriver in-place to remove the instrument panel.

So I made a tool. I went to Home Depot & bought a small, flat tip screwdriver. I bent it 90* in a vice & it broke off ; probably due to the original heat treating.

So I got out my torch, heated it up to anneal it, bent it 90* & then did some blacksmithing to form the tip like a screwdriver. I used my torch, a hammer, a file & a grinder to do the blacksmithing work. I finished it off with the wire wheel on my grinder to remove all of the burrs & the heating discoloration.

tool.jpg

The 'leg' is about 5/8" ( 15 mm ) long & I am going to shorten this to about 3/8" ( 10 mm ). The very tip is about 3/16" wide ( 5 mm ).

I stick in into the small slot in the top of the instrument panel, push down & pull out.

Works great.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Even in the annealled state it is plenty strong enough for removing the instrument panel.

If anyone has any questions about making something like this, drop me a PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Jerry
    I did the same thing when I put mine on about 2 years ago...
    How's the seat?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

Now that I have a Madstad windshield on my '08 GS, it is difficult to get a small screwdriver in-place to remove the instrument panel.

So I made a tool. I went to Home Depot & bought a small, flat tip screwdriver. I bent it 90* in a vice & it broke off ; probably due to the original heat treating.

So I got out my torch, heated it up to anneal it, bent it 90* & then did some blacksmithing to form the tip like a screwdriver. I used my torch, a hammer, a file & a grinder to do the blacksmithing work. I finished it off with the wire wheel on my grinder to remove all of the burrs & the heating discoloration.

tool.jpg

The 'leg' is about 5/8" ( 15 mm ) long & I am going to shorten this to about 3/8" ( 10 mm ). The very tip is about 3/16" wide ( 5 mm ).

I stick in into the small slot in the top of the instrument panel, push down & pull out.

Works great.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Even in the annealled state it is plenty strong enough for removing the instrument panel.

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

Re: How's the seat?

Love it; a great investment.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi folks,

tool.jpg

Works great.

Jerry Baumchen

Nice ... love resourcefulness and a bit of ingenuity ..