Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailering a Spyder on an open trailer

First of all, the trailering that I'm referring to is a 2800 mile return trip to Florida.
    Trailering down to Florida in early November and back to Canada the 1st of May so hopefully snow won't be a factor.
    My question is whether or not you use a cover when trailering your beloved Spyder on an open trailer.
    Also, if you don't cover it, do you do anything to protect the paint etc?
    I've heard of this product and read some pretty good reviews on it but maybe it's overkill, don't know.
    https://www.canadacarcare.ca/product...otection-32-oz
    Your opinions and shared knowledge are appreciated.

thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I would say that's a personal preference(I know that doesn't help), if you do cover it, you would need a cover made for trailering. just for input, if I was to tailer mine I would do it uncovered simply because I don't have a cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    First of all, the trailering that I'm referring to is a 2800 mile return trip to Florida.
    Trailering down to Florida in early November and back to Canada the 1st of May so hopefully snow won't be a factor.
    My question is whether or not you use a cover when trailering your beloved Spyder on an open trailer.
    Also, if you don't cover it, do you do anything to protect the paint etc?
    I've heard of this product and read some pretty good reviews on it but maybe it's overkill, don't know.
    https://www.canadacarcare.ca/product...otection-32-oz
    Your opinions and shared knowledge are appreciated.

thanks
    Greg
    Hi Greg i just bought the wife a 2014 rss with 194 miles in florida brought it back on a 16 foot trl toal 1452 miles the only cover i put on it was a trash bag over the handle bars to keep the electronics dry because it was pouring rain for the 1st 100 miles. I would not put a cover on it way too much rubbing from the wind will scratch the hell out of your paint , had a little piece of the trash bag was loose and rubbed the windshield was going to replace it anyway with a larger one. So i say no just my opinion

Spyder Garage

I've done a lot of trailering bikes on an open trailer and never covered them because of others having had issues with the covers flapping and damaging their paint. I never covered any switches or electronics, and never had any issues, but others here have said the Spyder ignition switch should be covered when giving the bike a bath, so maybe a piece of duct tape across that is advisable?

I wouldn't worry about any of the handlebar controls either, after all, it's a vehicle meant to be outdoors so why would a little rain be an issue?

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I drove to New York to pick up our Spyder. We used a utility trailer and I tied it down the way BRP recommends. I did screw a couple of 2x4's beside the front wheels, one on the outside of each wheel, just to make sure that it didn't move sideways because of limited room between the side rails of the trailer, about 7 inches each side.

Make sure it's facing forward, just like you were riding it down the road, otherwise, you'll tear the windshield off.

Don't put any cover on it. It'll flop around and ruin your paint or windshield wherever it rubs.

For ramps I used three 2x10's that I screwed to the floor of the trailer with GRK screws (http://www.grkfasteners.com). I used the trailer jack to raise the front of the trailer up to make virtually a straight ramp onto the trailer. NOTE: LEAVE THE TRAILER ATTACHED TO THE HITCH WHEN DOING THIS!!! If you don't, you will tip the trailer backwards, damaging your Spyder, the trailer and yourself!

We did this and had no problems trailering ours for over a 1000 miles.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

From previous discussions of this topic here on SL classicvw is in the bullls-eye, particularly concerning covers damaging paint finish, IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just what Boiler said:

With the trailer hooked up to your vehicle, raise it up using the trailer tongue jack. This will take away some of the harsh angle/transition between the ramps and deck. I have 3 aluminum ramps that work great. They have the hump that helps with the transition.
    Strap it down as you wish, but I've found that a strap over each tire, in the travel direction, works perfectly.
    Leave it uncovered. Whatever gets on it will wash off. It's no different than riding it down the road.
    If anything, you could add some good mudflaps to your tow vehicle.
    Leave it in neutral, with the parking brake on. Crank down the strap over the back wheel good and tight.

We've towed ours many times like this and have never had any issues. Just check the straps each time ya stop for peace of mind
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the no cover approach. This will be my first year trailering the spyder to Texas (3,000 kms one way). For the past 12 years I have trailered my touring Yamaha, my Suzuki Burgman and my Harley when I had those bikes - no covers and no problems. Just once I had a tie down break but I check the tightness each time I stop for looseness etc - never had a any problems. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

There are two methods for protection that I have used on my bikes and cars. One is a bit of a pain for larger areas depending on the width you are able to find (painters tape or similar) and stretch film (this stuff clings and doesn't flap around when applied with the direction of wind blast in mind). The spyder is definitely more involved than a bike or car due to the odd shape but should be doable. If using the stretch wrap, I would also wrap the front and sides of the trailer if there is anything "upright" to wrap against. You can do this with the painters tape by using cardboard to cover the larger openings and taping it in place. Even if it is only a foot high as this will stop the high speed stuff coming off the tow vehicles' rear tires etc and create an "up and over" airflow... This is a sample of what I am talking about: https://www.amazon.com/RC-Mart-Stret.../dp/B0711CY9Z9

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you are riding your Spyder, you don't (can't) cover it, with an open trailer, if it's tied down properly, and no unforeseen incidents come along, the only thing that can happen is road dirt. It washes off, just as if you were riding. I've been through around 10 states with my Spyders on open trailers, it worked for me.

john

Spyder Garage

Mazo's comment about the mud flaps made me think about how some open trailers have flat walls partially up the front and maybe wrap around the sides a bit. Like maybe 18-24" high only should do it to add some extra peace of mind for any road debris that could be kicked up.

I mention this only if you're the anal type. I've never done anything like that in my 17 years of open towing my motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for all the great input.
    My trailer has a good stone gard to that helps.

duct tape over the ignition and strap it down. Check straps often. Good to go.

thanks again
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I have found that you should check your tie-down job after 15 minutes of first setting off on your trip. If you did something wrong, it most likely will start showing up as looseness then. If nothing is loose at that check stop, you're probably good for the rest of the journey. But I still give the straps a tug at each fuel stop anyway.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Make sure it's facing forward, just like you were riding it down the road, otherwise, you'll tear the windshield off.
    You can safely tow it on the trailer backwards, but take the windshield off. That's only about 10 minute job.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I trailer my RT on an open trailer with a wind dam on the front to protect it from something coming up from the road and then at night put the travel 1/2 cover on the bike. This has worked well.
    2015 RTS, Corbin armrest, Lamonster Spyderdock outfitted for Garmin mount, Spyder cuff with cup holder, highway pegs, Lidlox, Bumpskid, Swaybar, XM dock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You can safely tow it on the trailer backwards, but take the windshield off. That's only about 10 minute job.
    It'll be facing forward on my trailer. I guess backwards could happen if a person was trailering 2 and had to do that for space.

regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    I have found that you should check your tie-down job after 15 minutes of first setting off on your trip. If nothing is loose at that check stop, you're probably good for the rest of the journey. But I still give the straps a tug at each fuel stop anyway.

Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Open Trailering a Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    First of all, the trailering that I'm referring to is a 2800 mile return trip to Florida. Trailering down to Florida in early November and back to Canada the 1st of May so hopefully snow won't be a factor. My question is whether or not you use a cover when trailering your beloved Spyder on an open trailer. Also, if you don't cover it, do you do anything to protect the paint etc? I've heard of this product and read some pretty good reviews on it but maybe it's overkill, don't know. https://www.canadacarcare.ca/product...otection-32-oz Your opinions and shared knowledge are appreciated. thanks Greg

Will be open trailering from Winnipeg to Phoenix at the end of December. Returning in early February. The Spyder will be covered in its normal outdoor cover (Guardian) and also wrapped in one of those inexpensive nylon tarp things from Canadian Tire.
    The key is to have the FRONT of the tarp wrapped securely, so that it doesn't lift off while going down the road.
    There will be tons of snow, ice and road salt between here and at least Omaha on the way down. Plus, there is always the possibility of heavy snow on the highways between Omaha and Santa Fe.

I note that you'll be going south in early November and returning in early May. Therefore you probably won't have any issues such as I will. However I would still cover the Spyder with a full cover and also the inexpensive plastic tarp thing. You want to avoid stones thrown up.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Trailers get cover

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Will be open trailering from Winnipeg to Phoenix at the end of December. Returning in early February. The Spyder will be covered in its normal outdoor cover (Guardian) and also wrapped in one of those inexpensive nylon tarp things from Canadian Tire.
    The key is to have the FRONT of the tarp wrapped securely, so that it doesn't lift off while going down the road.
    There will be tons of snow, ice and road salt between here and at least Omaha on the way down. Plus, there is always the possibility of heavy snow on the highways between Omaha and Santa Fe.

I note that you'll be going south in early November and returning in early May. Therefore you probably won't have any issues such as I will. However I would still cover the Spyder with a full cover and also the inexpensive plastic tarp thing. You want to avoid stones thrown up.
    Have you traveled with the arrangement yet with the set up you recommend ? I have the Brp full cover which does state that you can use for trailering. Read somewhere. However, I used a 10 mile test run and the cover still moves which will oftentimes damage paint. The Brp cover is much stronger and fits better than guardian. Almost impossible to tie down a tarp without movement. There is only one cover recommended for trailer use and can't recall name or if they make one for spyder. Would recommend caution.
    pete

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3-togo View Post
    .. There is only one cover recommended for trailer use and can't recall name or if they make one for spyder. Would recommend caution.
    pete
    The only trailerable bike cover we've come across is the Geza Gear spandex ones. http://www.gezagear.com/. We towed the bikes from Colorado to California and back, using their Pro Stretch line of covers. They didn't flap (much) and didn't scratch the paintwork at all. They are not water resistant, but kept bird droppings, stones, dirt and anything harmful from the paint. Afterwards I simply tossed them in the laundry to clean... good as new.

They don't have a Spyder specific model that I can tell, but they do make em large enough for full size baggers with topcase and side cases.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Utility Trailer- NO COVER

We have utility trailer we use to haul our Spyder and we do NOT use a cover on the Spyder when going down the highway or any road for that matter.

You may have to do some "Cleaning" when you arrive at your destination but you won't lose or tear your cover either.

That's been our experience. Can't afford an enclosed trailer.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3-togo View Post
    There is only one cover recommended for trailer use and can't recall name or if they make one for spyder. Would recommend caution.
    pete
    Seems like I remember someone on here mentioning using a heavy quilt over the Spyder covered with a tarp, or something on that order. The idea was to have a soft cover directly on the Spyder that was too heavy for the wind to easily whip around.

But I'm still of the thinking that a wash job at the end of the trip is less time consuming and easier than hassling with a cover that won't scuff.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.
    Because of the time of year that we'll be travelling we're going to go with no cover at all.
    That way when we get to Florida, I've got over 5 months to get the Spyder clean again

Again, Thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Myth buster

I have an aluma ut10 and have trailered my RT for many miles mostly uncovered. I have also trailered covered with BRP's full cover and never seen a scratch on my RT (my Ultimate seat doesn't like rain). My experience is windshield down and cover straps tight. Happy trailering!
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 Spyder RT with Geza cover

This summer we trailered the RT from Central Florida to upstate New York and back, 4000 miles total. Almost the entire trip the Spyder was covered with a Geza Pro cover. http://www.gezagear.com/I was concerned about the cover rubbing the paint or windshield, but was assured that was not a problem. Running at highway speeds on interstates including heavy rain, not a mark on the bike. I was very pleased with the cover and would recommend it. Although it is a little pricy, but then the Spyder is too. Does require removing the antenna to install the cover, but easily replaced once you get the hang of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images