Spyder Garage

Default Question for those who trailer their Spyder

I'm going to be trailering our 2011 RT to Florida from Canada this fall and back home in the spring.
    Distance is 1400 miles each way and we'll take 2 days to do the trip.
    My question concerns the air pressure in the trailer tires.
    Trailer is a Triton AUT1064 and is all alluminum and weights 400 lbs
    Tires are 175 80 13 bias ply load stars and max pressure is 50psi and max load is 1360lbs
    Based on my calculations I should probably be running anywhere from 30-35 PSI with the Spyder loaded.
    I've sent emails to both load star and carlisle tire companies with no response.
    Any help and advice is appreciated.

thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I may not be correct in doing this but I always run my trailer tires at the max. pressure. Doesn't matter what I'm hauling. In your case I'd inflate them to 50psi, load the Spyder and go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where are you going in FL? Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Tire pressure also helps soften the ryde. You ryde at the max tire allowance with a light load you may have a bouncy ride. Not a problem for the spyder if properly tied down. Seeing as you will not be at full load capasity , spyder only, you are probably right with your calculations. If you are carrying more you may have to go bit higher...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    Where are you going in FL? Dale
    Zephyrhills. This will be our first winter as snowbirds so we're pretty excited.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I agree with Gene. The trailer manufacturer used tires commensurate with the trailer max load. I personally would not go above 35 psi just for the sake of having a smooth riding trailer behind the prime mover. No sense in having the Spyder and trailer bouncing around more than is necessary.
    Last edited by JayBros; 09-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default tire PSI

As a professional trucker [49years ]I would recommend you put the max of [50psi] in the trailer, it well do fine an your gas mileage to. I pull my two spyders on a tandem axel trailer just fine. Our last trip was to BRP 10th anniversary in Quebec just over 4,000 miles. Look on the side of the tire to see what they show.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got a couple of questions before I can add my 2 cents to the discussion.
    1. Are the tires P-metric, Standard Load, or Extra Load?????
    2. What is the Load Index # of the tires(on the side wall after the tire size)??????
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Got a couple of questions before I can add my 2 cents to the discussion.
    1. Are the tires P-metric, Standard Load, or Extra Load?????
    2. What is the Load Index # of the tires(on the side wall after the tire size)??????
    Mike
    Not sure what question 1 means

the load indes on the sidewall is 1360?

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Zephyrhills. This will be our first winter as snowbirds so we're pretty excited.

Greg
    My wife and I spent six winters in Z-Hills. We went down from Oswego, NY. I purchased my 2015 Spyder RT from Tampa Bay Power Sports. I recommend them. Z-Hills is a great place to spend the winter.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    As a professional trucker [49years ]I would recommend you put the max of [50psi] in the trailer, it well do fine an your gas mileage to. I pull my two spyders on a tandem axel trailer just fine. Our last trip was to BRP 10th anniversary in Quebec just over 4,000 miles. Look on the side of the tire to see what they show.
    ......Tires that are meant for TRAILERS ... NEED to be run at the MAX pressure stamped on the tire...they are made specifically for TRAILERS only .......... your trailer suspension is made for that purpose also ...it doesn't need help from the tires ......... under-inflated Trailer tires can easily OVER-HEAT and cause a BLOW-OUT ....... they also wear out quicker ...... If you are still nervous contact the tire maker Load Star ( well known brand tor trailers ) or google them .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    I've added the Tampa Bay dealer into my address book in case I need service done.

Still waiting to hear back from the tire manufacturers but I'm sure they're busy so I'll be patient.
    Pretty sure that they'll just say to run max psi all the time but I don't understand why when the 50 psi is for a load of 1360 per tire and my payload including the Spyder and trailer will be max of 1500 lbs.
    I'm sure that I'm missing something here but have no idea what.

regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Greg - for what its worth - I have pulled a trailer with a 900 llb Yamaha back and forth to Texas (approx. 6,000 kms round trip) with tires at max pressure. Done this for 11 years now and never had a problem. This is not a scientific approach - just what worked for me. I plan to do the same with the Spyder loaded this year!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Greg - for what its worth - I have pulled a trailer with a 900 llb Yamaha back and forth to Texas (approx. 6,000 kms round trip) with tires at max pressure. Done this for 11 years now and never had a problem. This is not a scientific approach - just what worked for me. I plan to do the same with the Spyder loaded this year!
    Lol about the scientific approach. My wife says that I worry too much and over analyze everything.
    Therefore.........MAX pressure it is.

thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I do know that as said previously under inflation is not good and will create a lot of heat.
    BUT, what I've done with 50psi max trailer tires is run them at 40psi. I've found this is optimal for a smooth ride with an 800 lb motorcycle on it. I've made approx. 8 highway runs of between 300 to 1000 miles to pick up various motorcycles and never had an issue. I keep the bearings well greased and usually check the hub's temp. with my hand at gas stops. Always been warm in summer heat, never hot.