Spyder Garage

Default Dim brake lights including 3rd brake light question

Hello,
    I have a 2014 Spyder RTS. I've had people riding behind me. especially day time riding, say they can hardly see my brake lights including my 3rd brake light and turn signals. I know LED's are always improving so I'm wondering if anyone has noticed and done something to brighten them up. I sent a note to TricLED to see if they have any fixes. I'd like to do something before the NorCal rally if possible.
    I recently installed TricLED's for the side saddlebags and they are incredibly bright!.
    Any bright ideas out there? (pun intended)
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

Default dim lights

First thing I always check with electrical problems is to assure that I have a good ground.
    After that I would check to make sure that the wire supplying current is adequate size,
    Good luck with it,
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    First thing I always check with electrical problems is to assure that I have a good ground.
    After that I would check to make sure that the wire supplying current is adequate size,
    Good luck with it,
    Tip
    I concur that lots of electrical issues are caused by bad grounds. However LEDs tend to work or not, they don't tend to dim. Can you compare your lights to another Spyder?

Concerning the third brake light - what brand is it? I have a custom dynamics 3rd brake light/turn signal that fits in the groove at the top of the trunk. It is very bright.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Disconnect your 3rd brake light and see if that makes your brake lights brighter. Then you know its related to the third brake light.

Spyder Garage

Default Dim brake light

I would check the ground and I would also check the amount of voltage going to your brake lights. You probably have a good ground or you wouldn't have a light at all. Like someone said already it might be the third brake light that's installed. Could be shorting and causing a voltage drop. Also could be a bulb in one of the brake light assembly's. So I would more then likely check those first, all you would have to do is remove and test.

Good luck.

Mike

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MSa1956 View Post
    I would check the ground and I would also check the amount of voltage going to your brake lights.
    You probably have a good ground or you wouldn't have a light at all.
    Two things:

You should ***NOT*** just start replacing things without doing some testing first to try and find out what the problem really IS.
    If you insist on shotgunning parts at it, it might end up being very costly.....in both time and money.

Having a bad primary ground for tail lights often results in a "half bright" condition because the bulbs "find" a ground through the other circuit when it is activated. That is, the brake lights find a secondary ground through the tail lights.
    Often when that happens, the tail lights dim as the brake light comes up to half power too.

Those symptoms are with classic bulbs.
    Whether or not a bad ground with LEDs or CAN bus operation will have similar symptoms is unknown.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 2014 Spyder RTS. I've had people riding behind me. especially day time riding, say they can hardly see my brake lights including my 3rd brake light and turn signals. I know LED's are always improving so I'm wondering if anyone has noticed and done something to brighten them up. I sent a note to TricLED to see if they have any fixes. I'd like to do something before the NorCal rally if possible.
    I recently installed TricLED's for the side saddlebags and they are incredibly bright!.
    Any bright ideas out there? (pun intended)

Hi Martiniman, I don't recognize your name vs avatar used here.
    Can you re-send us the email ?