Thread: Madstad on F3T

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad on F3T

I read a lot about windshield but I still not have found what i'm looking for.

Considering the adjustability of the Madstad, I think this is the one that I want.

But I'm still hesitating on which one (18 or 20 inches) i should take.

Is there someone with a Madstad Windshield on an F3T that can tell me the measurement from the gaz tank (or any other fixed point on the spyder) to the top of the windshield ?

Madstad windshield's are all starting at the same point at the bottom and the difference is always to the top. But I'd like to have the height in reference to a fixed point on the F3T (at lowest and highest position).

At 5'11", when I'm looking at their recommandation, it seems that I'm juste at the border of a 18 and 20 inches.

Thanks !
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

I have an F3-L and got the Madstad windshield. I am 5'6" and originally ordered the 18" but it wasn't quite tall enough for me. I still got quite a bit of head buffeting and when it was raining it didn't keep the rain off my face enough even set at the tallest setting. So I went with the 20" and am much happier. I can still see over it and don't have to look through it. In fact the 18" had a slight defect and they exchanged it for the 20" with no questions asked. They even shipped it out before I was able to send them pictures of the defect, no charge to me at all. This is a wonderful company to work with, I was extremely happy with their customer service. I do have a sheepskin pad that I use so that does add a little more height.

For the pictures the first one is at 17". This is tilted about half way back and at the tallest setting. This is the setting I like the best so far. I am still experimenting.

The 2nd picture is straight up, no tilt and at the tallest position. It is about 19".

the 3rd picture is straight up and at the lowest position and is about 17".

So you can get different heights as to how much angle you use too.

Please ignore the dirt on my bike. We live down 2 miles of dirt road.

IMG_2154.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2158.jpg

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

I have the 22" and I'm 5-11". I have it in the low position and look over the top.

If it get s cold or rainy I raise it. I like the adjustability.

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

Default What color Spyder?

Clear is an easy enough choice. But I have owned a couple of Mastads shields and the medium Grey color really adds some accent looks, And I can easily see through the shield at night. I have found it takes time and different conditions to get an opinion for optimum performance. The angle is everything for buffeting control. Strangely, when the shield angle is set to match the angle of the front end is when I get the best results. I start by standing on the side of the bike and get the best cosmetic look and somehow the air going UNDER the shield plays a huge role in directing the air higher OVER the shield. My 18" shield is 12" from the top of the dash and 10 " when tiped to the lowest angle. I have it fully extended upward. So I would get the 20" if in doubt. You can always slide it down the adjuster which would match the 18". Good Choice.

Spyder Garage

Default Almost done

Thanks everyone for your comments.

It helps a lot for my decision.

I still have to compare your measurement to my position on the Spyder, but at first glance, it seems to confirm that I'll go with the 20" in medium grey.
    2016 F3T , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thankfully the stock windshield works perfect for me on my 2017 F3T. I am almost 5'5" and the wind just moves right over me. No buffeting at all. Glad I don't have to shell out money for a windshield on a brand new bike like I did my RS and F3S. It was a nice surprise.

Spyder Garage

Default RT to F3L

I felt the same way when I went from the RT to the F3L. It was surprising how well the stock shield performed for my 5'8". But as I was driving with my face shield half open and a couple of side wind blast pulled on my helmet. My RT never did that. Now, as the colder weather is setting in up north here I notice a lot more side intrusion i/e colder cockpit area. I'm hoping the Madsatd shield improves my cockpit warmth. Also, the Madstad shield is close to 3" wider than stock and I'm hoping for some hand protection from road debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Thankfully the stock windshield works perfect for me on my 2017 F3T. I am almost 5'5" and the wind just moves right over me. No buffeting at all. Glad I don't have to shell out money for a windshield on a brand new bike like I did my RS and F3S. It was a nice surprise.