Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT-S-Bad Stator at 102,000 kms

Hi Gang....has anyone had a burned out stator on a 990?
    The SPyder went dead on me on Monday after eating too much ice cream!! When we stopped a message came up "Low Battery Voltage" I had never seen that before. It took the techs a long time to find the problem but the stator is "Burned Out" in three places.
    Experiences anyone.?

Spyder Garage

This happened on my 2011 RT-S. Turned out not to be a big deal, $1400 made the whole problem go away.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just got our 2013 RT-S SE 5 back from the dealer about three weeks ago for the same problem. They had it for a month, put in a new voltage regulator, stator AND new flywheel. After a new voltage regulator and stator didn't fix it, they also had to put a new flywheel on because of weak magnets.

This happened just ten days before the expiration of our extended warranty. If not for the warranty, it would have cost us over $1700. Because it took so long getting parts and a mix up on the dealer's end, they didn't charge us the $50 deductible or for the tow to come and get us off of the interstate.
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 08-31-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Back Oredered

So it seems that my Stator problem may have been self inflicted. I use a power cable for my GPS attached to my battery via a Battery Tender cable. It was coiled up under the seat when not in use and it may have shorted out on either the seat pan or another metal piece there. I would have thought that a fuse somewhere in the system would have blown before blowing the stator? It appears there will have to be more investigation but the stator was back ordered to late September. My dealer was able to find one 100 miles away and I hope to be riding again by Tuesday night.
    I am still a little disappointed with the reliablity of this Spyder....I kind of wish I didn't love riding it sooooo much. I am hoping to do another cross country ride to the west coast next year but I am a little leary

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

Sorry to hear of your electrical problems. Make sure they check the rectifier as well as many times if the stator goes it goes as well. Cheapcycleparts.com tends to have a much better stock than BRP but don't know if they can go outside to get one. Your direct hookups to the battery should all have an inline fuse to avoid this kind of problem. One does need to see what amp the fuse is in it as it may have been to high. Hope they get you going soon and painlessly....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black