Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride with pet

Spyder Garage

Default Ride with pet

Good day everybody, I am now shopping for my first Spyder looking at the F3-SE6. But the question is, Has anybody made a carrier for their Spyder to be able to have a pet go with them. I have a pug that is also my service animal and will be riding with me. If you have pics or ideas please let me know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Found this in another thread, you may want to check this web site out htttp://www.wagstrailers.com/. I sure others will check in with more suggestions. Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 08-30-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    Found this in another thread, you may want to check this web site out htttp://www.wagstrailers.com/. I sure others will check in with more suggestions. Dale
    He's asking about a carrier that will fit on his Spyder, not pull behind it I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We had a Pug...
    Ozzie.jpg

At 21 pounds: he was a bit too big, to ride the Spyder.
    Our "Tink" is only 5 pounds, and the Missus keeps her in a pouch that she slings across her body, and over her shoulder: no trouble at all!
    I'd certainly suggest that "Spyderful" pets be much smaller than the typical Pug... Sorry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Not mine but I have seen these

pet2.jpg pet.jpg
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default ride withthe pet

It sounds like your looking for a way to carry your dog ON the spyder, our dog is too big for a carrier so we purchased a trailer, Trina has logged over 10,000 miles in her home on wheels and it also has a luggage rack we put a gear bag on. Shes been to Glacier Park, Yellowstone, Sequoias, Death Valley, California Redwoods, Crater Lake, Badlands SD.
    In temperatures that run from 107 to 27 degrees as its insulated, vented, in in the high heat I put a block of ice in a tray and opened a window so the wind could help cool her.
    It's safe and secure and has two locking doors. In the last photo she is panting because she just took a long run chasing rabbits in a park in Wyoming.
    Smith River Hwy 016.jpg Bend to Home 003.jpg Wallowa Lake camp.jpg Ready to roll.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    He's asking about a carrier that will fit on his Spyder, not pull behind it I think.
    Yes, I knew but that was all I found in my short search. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    It sounds like your looking for a way to carry your dog ON the spyder, our dog is too big for a carrier so we purchased a trailer, Trina has logged over 10,000 miles in her home on wheels and it also has a luggage rack we put a gear bag on. Shes been to Glacier Park, Yellowstone, Sequoias, Death Valley, California Redwoods
    , Crater Lake, Badlands SD.
    In temperatures that run from 107 to 27 degrees as its insulated, vented, in in the high heat I put a block of ice in a tray and opened a window so the wind could help cool her.
    It's safe and secure and has two locking doors. In the last photo she is panting because she just took a long run chasing rabbits in a park in Wyoming.
    Smith River Hwy 016.jpg Bend to Home 003.jpg Wallowa Lake camp.jpg Ready to roll.jpg
    I like that setup. Best I've seen so far. Looks sturdy and safe and has the luggage rack on top too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's this company that specializes in pet seats for motorcycles; http://www.beastriders.com/products/beastriders/

And other good ideas / products here; https://www.rockstarpuppyboutique.co...-dog-carriers/
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-30-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Baker Air Wings sells a nice rack for the back of the F3 and it would be a good platform to mount a carrier to. Here is a link http://bakerbuiltairwings.com/prodde...p?prod=SPYF3LR

Mrs. Baker passed away last week so if you make an inquiry and don't get a quick response please understand why.

EDIT: If you go with their rack just be sure you don't drill through the bars, that's where they run the wires for the lights.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 08-30-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Any new ideas?
    Yeah. Buy a convertible.

Spyder Garage

I don't think id ever forgive myself if something to my pug as a result of me bringing her along. Just not worth the risk to me. I'm sure people do it all the time, I just wont be one of them. That being said I'm sure there are plenty of options out there.

Spyder Garage

That's your suggestion of how to carry a small dog on a Spyder? Really? Do you think you're being witty or do you just have an overall sour attitude toward life in general?
    Jeez. Relax.....
    Well, YOU did ask for NEW ideas....Be careful what you wish for.

The more I ponder the original question, the more I'm of a like mind with slowpoke. As much as I love/loved all my dogs, I wouldn't risk it. Not just talking about crashes. Other things can go wrong while away from home/vet service. Heatstroke, dehydration, eye injuries, etc. And what if such travel was not to the dog's liking?
    Last edited by classicvw; 08-31-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

I really haven't seen many folks with their fur babies on the bike. The idea of having a pet bounce down the road in a trailer and breathing exhaust fumes doesn't excite me much either. I can't imagine it's a very smooth ride in a trailer. Can you just rig up a simple pet carrier for the back seat? We leave our little ones home.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I really haven't seen many folks with their fur babies on the bike. The idea of having a pet bounce down the road in a trailer and breathing exhaust fumes doesn't excite me much either. I can't imagine it's a very smooth ride in a trailer. Can you just rig up a simple pet carrier for the back seat? We leave our little ones home.
    After over 10,000 miles of riding in her trailer I would think that our dog would not want to get in it or at least show some hesitation about getting in it. But I'm only saying this from experience and not just something I pulled out of the air. Our dog gets excited about traveling and jumps in her trailer the same as she does in the truck or car. As for bouncing around in a trailer , I did my research and settled on on with torsion suspension and have observed the trailer for mile after mile as I usually put the wife in front on her bike so I don't have to watch my rear view mirrors constantly. I have left the dog at home ( had it stolen and killed on the road) we have taken our dog to very reputable kennels only to pick her up after vacation with kennel cough, twice, and the last time she contacted a virus. So If we cant get a babysitter at home for her she goes with. and as for the folks that worry about a accident on the road then I guess her and I will be in the same boat, but she has more protection than me. As for putting a little dog in a special carrier ON the bike if I did have a little chuck'em dog I would not fell comfortable exposing them to the elements. Just my opinion and we all know what that's worth. But I am speaking from real experience of many miles on the road with our dog.
    Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    That's what he's asking about, not a trailer. Leaving the dog at home isn't an option as it is a Service Animal.

Folks, he's not asking for your opinion. He's asking for help with a solution for bringing his pug along with him on a Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    After over 10,000 miles of riding in her trailer I would think that our dog would not want to get in it or at least show some hesitation about getting in it. But I'm only saying this from experience and not just something I pulled out of the air. Our dog gets excited about traveling and jumps in her trailer the same as she does in the truck or car. As for bouncing around in a trailer , I did my research and settled on on with torsion suspension and have observed the trailer for mile after mile as I usually put the wife in front on her bike so I don't have to watch my rear view mirrors constantly. I have left the dog at home ( had it stolen and killed on the road) we have taken our dog to very reputable kennels only to pick her up after vacation with kennel cough, twice, and the last time she contacted a virus. So If we cant get a babysitter at home for her she goes with. and as for the folks that worry about a accident on the road then I guess her and I will be in the same boat, but she has more protection than me. As for putting a little dog in a special carrier ON the bike if I did have a little chuck'em dog I would not feel comfortable exposing them to the elements. Just my opinion and we all know what that's worth. But I am speaking from real experience of many miles on the road with our dog.
    That's our reason to go with a trailer also. It's also our experience, altho' I won't say our two terriers are exactly excited about riding in the trailer.

The OP is asking for options to take their pug ON the Spyder with him, because it's a service dog. So, I would imagine a trailer is not an option for him. As for the weather issue, we don't know what kind of weather he rides in but I am willing to bet he is not going to put his best friend in harm's way if he can help it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Granted it isn't a Spyder and this pup is a little smaller, but here is an idea for you. There are several more videos on this guys youtube page. Including one where he installs the windscreen for his dog.

I have a couple of pictures of other dogs that ride that I took. I'll see if I can find them and post them up.

Spyder Garage

Sorry about them being sideways. They were correct on my computer but the site turned them when I uploaded them.

Last edited by Poseidon; 08-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Granted it isn't a Spyder and this pup is a little smaller, but here is an idea for you. There are several more videos on this guys youtube page. Including one where he installs the windscreen for his dog.
    Thanks for the video. That was entertaining and enlightening for those who are a little reticent about the idea of a companion dog riding along with them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to get some Doggles for your dog if it's ryding with its face in the breeze!! Winds of much more than about 30mph for any length of time will damage their eyes, & Doggles are an easy fix. My little fella Max, a 14 y/o toy Maltese, weighing in at about 5lbs dripping wet, was my Service Animal until forced retirement due to blindness, age, & increasing infirmity - his, in this case, for once not mine!! They were going to give me a new SA & re-home him, but I couldn't do that! He's looked after me for 13 years, so now it's my turn! He just loves to ryde with me, even more so when both the Missus & I are heading out ryding. He recently did an almost 10,000km trip with us, travelling in a slightly modified tank bag on the RT - and absolutely loves it!! I'll see if I can get a pic up..

20140810_155700_resized(1).jpg

That's him wearing his Doggles in his 'round town' tank bag, which is just one of those grey 'ballistic fabric' Can-Am tank bags intended for an RSS, then modded to fit on top of the RT's glove box. His 'travelling' tank bag is mounted similarly but is somewhat bigger so he can sit up like he is in the pic, or drop down inside the bag so he's fully out of the weather. I haven't found a helmet or 'flying cap' small enough to fit him yet, but he does have a couple of jackets - a lightweight 'wind' jacket, a heavier & warmer waterproof, & a full on DriZabone (you'll hafta google if you don't know what they are!) with a 'storm cape' that normally protects the wearers shoulders but in his case flips up to cover the back of his head, ears, & neck... cos sitting where he does on the RT, all the wind & wet stuff comes from behind him (cos of the air pocket created by the windshield)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    It might be. It seems they made it larger than the original;

An internal frame with rigid structural support offers peace of mind knowing your pet is protected.

• Dims: 18.5" wide x 13" deep x 14“ tall
    • Internal Cubic Inches: 2,700
    • UV-rated weather-resistant 1200 denier textile material
    • 40% more ventilation with 20% more internal space than previous model
    • New sissy bar strap, multiple D-Rings and Adjustable Straps offer easy, secure mounting options
    • New easy-clean removable Foam Cushion offers a comfortable ride for your furry friend
    • Pet amenities include internal Adjustable Leash, two Dishes, and removable stash pouch
    • New side-mounted Handles plus removable Carrying Strap offer easy portability
    • Redesigned Bottle Pocket with MOLLE modular attachment points
    • Internal Frame and Rigid Bottom provides support and protection
    • Top window opens allowing pet to pop its head out
    • Four Mesh Windows for viewing and optimum ventilation
    • UV-rated weather-resistant 1200 denier textile material with removable rain cover

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My Lab rides on the back seat of my ATV just around our property. On road trips longer than 30 minutes we have to medicate her for her "anxiety". I would love to take her on my RS, but won't take the chance of her being injured. I like the trailer idea but I'd have to find one big enough for my Lab and the wife's St. Bernard, not going to be easy.