Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default rear wheel bearings

2012 rt-s, pulled all my wheels waiting on new tires to get here. checked rear bearings, right side near froze up, can't turn it easily with finger. left side turns freely but has end play. bike only has right on 12,000 miles on it. so check your bearings when changing tires. only takes a minute or less.

Spyder Garage

Default Always helpful....

You or your shop should check them whenever the wheels are removed...especially the rear wheel. Great reminder... I always have a set on hand for the rear.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Rear wheel bearings

A day late and a dollar short, all my life. Coming home from a 200 mile ride earlier in the week, the rear felt as if it gave a kinda lurch sideways, the brakes applied for a heartbeat, and it felt like I had a flat on the rear. Made me nervous, but could not see any problems. By the time I got home 20 miles later, I knew I had a problem. Finally eliminated the brakes, so it had to be bearings. Pulled the rear wheel and sure 'nuff, the right bearing was only half full of bearings. Got hot enough to weld the outside of the bearing to the aluminum hub. Spent half a day trying to fix it, finally ordered a new hub. And all 3 bearings and seals. YeeHaw. Oh yeah, 21000 miles total and I put on a new rear tire a month ago.
    Last edited by k7xi; 09-10-2017 at 12:44 AM.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're running OEM Kendas out back: change the bearings with every other tire change.
    If you've got some high-mileage automotive skin out back: do it with each new tire!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you're running OEM Kendas out back: change the bearings with every other tire change.
    If you've got some high-mileage automotive skin out back: do it with each new tire!

It's a cheap preventative maintenance!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac