Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet impact zones

Saw this posted on FB, don't have the source. I wonder if it's different on a 3 wheeler?

2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Differences or not: it shows why I wear at least a modular helmet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting stuff, thanks.

Based on my ride this weekend, my front face shield contains a hidden target area for large insects, avoiding my front windshield altogether. Face shield has a 100% impact rating.

Spyder Garage

Default face

Bob;
    with a face like this:
    i would recommend nothing less than a modular...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I've laid a bike down once (lowside) and just happened to have my modular helmet on with the front pulled down. Although I don't remember hitting on my face, the front-left part of the visor was badly scratched up as was the side of the helmet. Very glad I wasn't wearing a brain-bucket that day.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Bob;
    with a face like this:
    i would recommend nothing less than a modular...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    There's no doubt: I've got a face that's made for radio!

Spyder Garage

I have a friend who very recently encountered a deer who was hell-bent on committing suicide with his BMW R1200RT. Pictures of his modular helmet showed that had he not been wearing such a design his coconut would be in a world of hurt.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Interesting stuff, thanks.

Based on my ride this weekend, my front face shield contains a hidden target area for large insects, avoiding my front windshield altogether. Face shield has a 100% impact rating.
    helmet bugs.jpg
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=OverHillAndDale;1295698]helmet bugs.jpg[/QUOTE

ROFL!!, That just sent a Pepsi straight out my nose. Well played!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    It looks like you were mistaken for a field of wheat !

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Saw this posted on FB, don't have the source. I wonder if it's different on a 3 wheeler?
    What an interesting question. You would think that most Spyder accidents would be as a result of being hit by other vehicles rather than sliding off in gravel, oil etc. Since you can be hit from the front, side or rear, and be thrown to the front, side or rear, I would have thought that the impact areas would be much the same, but........

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure where a helmet would do the most good on a Spyder vs. a two wheeler, but I don't wish any part of my face/head damaged. I got rear ended at a stop sign in 2001 on my '95 Wing. The policeman brought my helmet and other stuff to my home and told my wife how lucky I was wearing a FF helmet. I was taken to the local hospital. (six ribs and lots of rash) He showed her the three deep gauges in the sides and said with his experience, any of those would have caused serious injury or worse.

Spyder Garage

Default ugh!

Yurk. I REALLY hope that is photoshopped. Cause if it's not... imagine the rest of him/her. Geez. I would have barfed in my helmet. <shudder>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adzgrrrl View Post
    Yurk. I REALLY hope that is photoshopped. Cause if it's not... imagine the rest of him/her. Geez. I would have barfed in my helmet. <shudder>
    June Bugs are the worst offenders. They will snap your neck back about 6 inches, and are full of gooey yellow Bug-Juice. , ,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adzgrrrl View Post
    adzgrrrl -- You obviously haven't yet ridden in south Alabama or Florida during love bug season:

In addition to the splat, they stink, and their juices are acidic, requiring prompt washing. I don't know how naked bike riders deal with it.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    adzgrrrl -- You obviously haven't yet ridden in south Alabama or Florida during love bug season:

In addition to the splat, they stink, and their juices are acidic, requiring prompt washing. I don't know how naked bike riders deal with it.
    I thought all of Alabama was in the south????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I lived in Louisiana I was driving on I-12 one morning during love bug season. A black cloud of them was just ahead. As the box type delivery truck in front of me went through the cloud it left a square clear hole in the cloud of love bugs. One of funniest, strangest things I've ever seen. Wish I could have had a pic of it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I thought all of Alabama was in the south????
    Well, yeah, but love bug territory is another matter.

I first encountered them when my dad moved to Orlando in the mid-70s. They are an invasive species, and were steadily working their way up the Florida peninsula, and at that time had reached as far north as Gainesville.

I hadn't thought about them for decades until about seven years ago, when I was tooling through south Alabama. "Splat!" Well, that's a juicy bug! "Splat! ... splat!" Uh, wait a second -- this somehow seems familiar.

When I pulled over after a bit, the smell hit me. And then I knew: love bugs had arrived in Alabama!

A couple of years back, I encountered a few around my stomping grounds (Montgomery), but I haven't seen any since. Maybe they just haven't reached a critical mass. About a week ago, while passing through south Alabama, kids with squeegees and soapy buckets were doing business at some of the gas stations.

For those making travel plans to the deep Southeast along the Gulf Coast, love bug season occurs twice a year, April-May and August-September. Face shields are mandatory, windshields highly recommended.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, yeah, but love bug territory is another matter.

I first encountered them when my dad moved to Orlando in the mid-70s. They are an invasive species, and were steadily working their way up the Florida peninsula, and at that time had reached as far north as Gainesville.

I hadn't thought about them for decades until about seven years ago, when I was tooling through south Alabama. "Splat!" Well, that's a juicy bug! "Splat! ... splat!" Uh, wait a second -- this somehow seems familiar.

When I pulled over after a bit, the smell hit me. And then I knew: love bugs had arrived in Alabama!

A couple of years back, I encountered a few around my stomping grounds (Montgomery), but I haven't seen any since. Maybe they just haven't reached a critical mass. About a week ago, while passing through south Alabama, kids with squeegees and soapy buckets were doing business at some of the gas stations.

For those making travel plans to the deep Southeast along the Gulf Coast, love bug season occurs twice a year, April-May and August-September. Face shields are mandatory, windshields highly recommended.
    Wow good to know! We are lucky out here in California, with the realativly low humidity, we don't have a lot of bugs!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.