Thread: How to CB

Spyder Garage

Default How to CB

Good Evening, my Spyder has a CB and I know absolutely nothing about it. I have the cable to plug in by the by the key but how do you use it? Do I need to use headphones? I know this probably sounds stupid to someone who uses them but that isn't me. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good Evening, my Spyder has a CB and I know absolutely nothing about it. I have the cable to plug in by the by the key but how do you use it? Do I need to use headphones? I know this probably sounds stupid to someone who uses them but that isn't me. Thanks, Mike
    Pictures are always helpful. Do you have the CB radio or just the cable?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Pictures are always helpful. Do you have the CB radio or just the cable?
    And that is just the beginning of the questions.

ASSuming that your ride actually is equipped with a working BRP (J&M) integrated CB, then you need a helmet headset.
    They can be had from BRP or J&M and run around $200, depending on which model you get.

If you don't use a helmet, I have no idea what kind of "headphones" might work.

I suggest that the nearest Spyder dealer might give you better answers.
    I say might because it appears that most of them don't know much about the CBs either.

P.S. The range of a CB on a motorcycle is pretty pathetic.
    They average about a mile and a half.
    So.....unless you have some riding buddies who also have working CBs, getting yours to work won't accomplish much.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I am pretty sure it has the CB. Doesn't the rt-ltd come with it? I have the female plug by the key (isn't that for the CB or is it for something else too) and I bought the plug for it and it is shown in the screen. I realize it has limitations but might come in handy sometime and if it's there I'm curious enuf to see if/how it works. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default CB

The jack you are talking about, is for communications to a headset. You may or may not have a CB, but you do have communications with another headset for a passenger. It also will give you FM AM and XM if you have that. You can also stream music from a digital device such as Ipod or MP3 player. If you have two antennas on the bike, you most likely have CB. You would also have a transmit button on the left handlebar. You need the headset though. You also have to go to the menu and actually send the sound to the headset, or speakers, or both.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Thanks, I am pretty sure it has the CB. Doesn't the rt-ltd come with it?
    No, it does not. It has the built-in capability, but does not have a CB as standard equipment.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If it shows on your screen then you have it.That com socket comes as part of that package. These are NOT standard on the RT and somebody paid a lot of money to buy and install it. You will need a headset to go in your helmet. Maybe the previous owner will sell you his headsets if he no longer uses them. If your SO rides with you, you will need a headset in her helmet as well. That will allow you to have the intercom function that comes as part of the CB package. To Talk on the CB there is a button on the left handle grip. That is your PTT or push to talk button. Your headset must have a microphone in order for you to transmit. The intercom is voice activated but the CB needs the PTT. You can just listen to the CB thru your external speakers but you can't talk or use the intercom.

CB's on motorcycles varey in strength,some go father then others but none will reach out there more then a couple of miles if that. They are real good for bike to bike communication when in a group and on my previous bikes (Not Spyders) that is how I mostly used it. Back when truckers spent more time on the their CB's I would talk to them when by myself and needed something to relieve the boredom. Not so much anymore.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    You would also have a transmit button on the left handlebar.
    Excellent explanation.
    The second antenna should be a dead give-away; in additon to the CB screen showing up on the display.
    The transmit button is there whether you actually have the CB or not.

Spyder Garage

I do have a second antenna, Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do have the CB I hope yours works better than most. The BRP CB hasn't been the most reliable system. Good luck good buddy
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    The jack you are talking about, is for communications to a headset. You may or may not have a CB, but you do have communications with another headset for a passenger.
    Nope, not the case. Contrary to other bikes like Honda, with the Spyder the communications via headset comes only as part of the CB package. No CB, no headset comm.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a BRP CB on Mr. Cognac and also on my Wing. As said, the CB info will show up on the dash if you have one installed. You can remove the right rear panel and see if a little black box it there....that would be the CB. I ride with a group, 15 or more sometimes. I sweep and the lead has a CB (HD rider) and we use another CB rider in the middle to forward info as needed. The BRP CB is poor compared to my GW. I installed a J&M antenna which helped some but overall it is a sorry, expensive system.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    I installed a J&M antenna which helped some but overall it is a sorry, expensive system.
    What does it NOT do that you want it to ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    What does it NOT do that you want it to ??

Be able to communicate more than 1/4-1/2 mile.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe a lot of that has to do with the lack of steel for a ground plane in the Spyder. I installed a Firestik No Ground Plane antenna on my CB. Not sure of the broadcast distance but I know it's more than what a handheld will do. I don't get any complaints from my Goldwing buddies when I'm in a group ride.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't personally comment on that yet because I just got mine "fully functional" with a new headset (it was squealing on transmit) and haven't had a chance to try it out on the road yet.

But there are 3 guys in my riding group that seem to get about the same distance as the Wings and Harleys with radios.

There have been times when things drop out at about a half mile......no matter the combination of radios involved.