Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Bulb replacement on 2013 ST Limited

Hi All,
    I just changed the headlight bulb on my 2013 ST Limited and I thought it may he helpful to other ST owners if I explained a few things that I experienced during the change. This may also be useful for RT owners
    First this is a 15min. operation the second time you do it AND if you have a helper with a very small hand. It took me and my ridding buddy about an hour and 4 Buds.
    The bulb is not just a bulb but the complete bulb and housing assembly. See photo. Notice the assembly has three tabs and a flat area on the bottom.
    Book directions 1,2,3 and 4, removing the plastics was easy.
    Step 5 removing the rubber boot. There are a few clips on the outer edge of the boot to grasp to pull the boot off the outer bulb flange. But because it has been there for a few years it doesn’t want to move. With needle nose pliers you can get a grasp on it and pull it away from the outer housing. The center of the boot is tight on the bulb housing. To loosen it I used a long flat screwdriver and forced it between the boot collar and the bulb housing. A couple of twists of the screwdriver loosened the boot collar and then the entire boot came out.
    Step 6: The retaining clip is two long spring wires with loops on one end to hold them in place when snapped in place, and the other end is hinged allowing the “clips” to swing out of the way after they are released. However they are still in the way of removing the bulb assembly. A few wiggles gets it done.

Step 7: Remove the bulb assembly. This is where a very small hand helps. Or time and another Bud.

Replace the bulb assembly. The tabs have to line up and also the flat area on the bottom of the bulb base. Once in place nothing holds it until you swing the retaining clip into place.

Step 8: When replacing the rubber boot moisten the middle collar of the boot and the outer flange to help it slide in place.

Step 9: Installing the power plug. It has to line up with the tabs on the base of the bulb. Patience helps. Or another Bud.

When all is completed, you will have to reset the clock.
    I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was going okay installing one until I dropped the cord and it made its way to the dark hole. Were you bleeding when you finished the install? If not you may have missed a step
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

RT is very different.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    RT is very different.
    I was installing one on an ST. Thanks.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was installing one on an ST. Thanks.
    Sorry I was thinking of the op's comment. "This may also be useful for RT owners"

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default No blood, 4 Buds

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;1294837]I was going okay installing one until I dropped the cord and it made its way to the dark hole. Were you bleeding when you finished the install? If not you may have missed a step[/QUOTE I thought I would be smart and stuffed a rag in the dark hole but then couldn't get the bulb lined up.

Spyder Garage

Default Wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was going okay installing one until I dropped the cord and it made its way to the dark hole. Were you bleeding when you finished the install? If not you may have missed a step
    How many hours will a tech charge? I have large hands wear a 3x glove... or do I take the fairing apart?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    How many hours will a tech charge? I have large hands wear a 3x glove... or do I take the fairing apart?

Spyders are made by tiny little elves in hollow trees! Nothing is easy for someone who has big hands. I dropped that cord which is about 6" long and has a fairly large plug on it, I never would have believed that it would fall all the down inside and not get stuck along the way but that's what it did. If you don't drop stuff it doesn't take too long.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default W T F ?

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    RT is very different.
    Why is this in the ST Section? DUHH!

Spyder Garage

Default Headlight bulb Replacement for 2013 ST

I tried for Several hours over a 3 day period to change the bulb on my 2013 ST. Bloodied up my knuckle, got a blood blister on one finger. did not get the clip out to remove the bulb. Gave up. Bought the LED kit from Lamonster. Put it all back together, plus when reinstalling the cover over the instrument panel I screwed one the screws to tight and broke it. Went to the dealer, he removed the all the bulbs and installed the LED kit in 1-1/2 hour. ordered a new cover. Hope I never have to ever replace those bulbs.
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Matahead View Post
    Why is this in the ST Section? DUHH!
    Read post #1 again.

reading.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It's not just our Spyders that are made by tiny elves. I couldn't believe the tight circle cut into sharp sheet steel that you have to fit your hand into to get to the taillight bulb on my Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's not a small SUV either. Couldn't get any part of my hand, just my fingers into that opening. And you will cut up your knuckles part of your hand trying to fit it in. The bulbs are tiny too, the flat blade kind, and you will be lucky to get two fingers on one for removal or installation. I did drop a new one into the rear abyss somewhere. So if you're changing 2 of them, better buy at least 4.
    Last edited by classicvw; 09-04-2017 at 10:16 AM.