Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What I learned today. Steering and helmet speakers.

Over the years I've heard a lot about "Look where you want the bike to GO and it will go there."
    That was an important piece of advice.
    Once you get some miles under your belt and you practice doing that, steering around corners becomes almost automatic.
    You don't have to consciously lean/move the bars/etc to get it to turn.

So today I practiced that some on the Spyder. It still works.....and it seemed to keep me from "oversteering" and having jerky corrections in sweeping curves.
    Concentrate on where you want to the machine to go AS YOU ENTER THE TURN and don't consciously push the bars; see if it won't actually go there, seemingly by itself.
    Then look through the curve as you go around.

The first couple of times I found that I needed to "look my way OUT" of the curve too.

Then......I was having trouble with low volume on my helmet speakers.
    Turns out the problem was that the speakers were not positioned correctly, or maybe my ears are in the wrong place.
    I took them loose (velcro) and moved both down about an inch.
    WOW, what a difference. I had to turn a couple of settings down from almost max. where I had them set.
    Much louder now.

Now.....if the new headset I have ordered will get rid of the squeal when transmitting on the CB, I will be a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

I think as we get older (at least in my experience) we tend to not look far enough ahead. If I think more about looking farther ahead I find it is easier for me to "look where I want to go". Very good point Easy Rider.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Over the years I've heard a lot about "Look where you want the bike to GO and it will go there."
    That's an important piece of advice for life in general.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That's why a lot of people high and lowside on corners. Not looking around corner

Spyder Garage

Default Velcro ears

Your ears were in the wrong place, so you moved them??
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k7xi View Post
    Your ears were in the wrong place, so you moved them??
    Yes......something like that.

Spyder Garage
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Great thread subject...and great reading whether we need to "review" or "learn."

Having recently returned to two wheels, I have also found the information to be very helpful. I live on a very winding road with several 15 mph turns--usually sand somewhere on each one. The fact that I also drive a leaner--I had to think about those turns--again.

The look through the curve applies to both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It took me a lot of fiddling with my SMH10 helmet speakers to get them positioned exactly where they work best and patience isn't my long suit. It was worth the effort and cheaper than getting my ears moved.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Once you get some miles under your belt and you practice doing that, steering around corners becomes almost automatic.
    You don't have to consciously lean/move the bars/etc to get it to turn.

So today I practiced that some on the Spyder. It still works.....and it seemed to keep me from "oversteering" and having jerky corrections in sweeping curves.
    Concentrate on where you want to the machine to go AS YOU ENTER THE TURN and don't consciously push the bars; see if it won't actually go there, seemingly by itself.
    Then look through the curve as you go around.

The first couple of times I found that I needed to "look my way OUT" of the curve too.

Then......I was having trouble with low volume on my helmet speakers.
    Turns out the problem was that the speakers were not positioned correctly, or maybe my ears are in the wrong place.
    I took them loose (velcro) and moved both down about an inch.
    WOW, what a difference. I had to turn a couple of settings down from almost max. where I had them set.
    Much louder now.

Now.....if the new headset I have ordered will get rid of the squeal when transmitting on the CB, I will be a happy camper.
    Now that I've recovered from your ears being in the wrong place lol, it's interesting that you mentioned the sweeping curves.
    On 2 wheels I never had an issue because I knew to look where I wanted to go.
    When I got the Spyder I was very jerky through the curves and didn't really understand why....just figured it was the nature of the beast kind of thing.
    Then one day my wife and I went on a long ride and we just happened to end up on a lot of roads with long and sometimes 90 degree sweeping curves.
    Suddenly a light came on and I just acted as if I was on 2 wheels. Amazing......so smooth.
    It's good that you mentioned this because a lot of new Spyder owners may read it which will help them.

And good luck with those ears.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    And good luck with those ears.
    Got a new helmet and a new headset......so now it is time to experiment with "ear position" when mounting the headset.

Got a Shoei helmet because the salesman assured me that it had GREAT ventilation.
    RIGHT. For the price it better have.
    I'm tempted to take the cheek pads out and leave them out; that should make getting the speakers positioned right a bit easier.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    It's good that you mentioned this because a lot of new Spyder owners may read it which will help them.
    A third riding technique item might bear a little discussion: LEANING.

On 2 wheels, a coordinated turn requires a counter-steer AND leaning to the inside of the turn (except for VERY low speed manuvers, where neither of those applies). Without the body lean and/or body shift to the inside, you are fighting yourself trying to make the bike turn like you want it to.

With a Spyder, you lean for a slightly different reason: You need to keep your body at a "balanced" angle to counteract the tendency to throw you off the high side in a turn. If you are NOT leaned IN, fighting the centrifugal force that is trying to lean you OUT will screw with your steering too.

I'm still working on consciously leaning like I need to.
    At my age, I suspect that it will never come "automatically" like it did on 2 wheels.