Spyder Garage

Default Buy 2017 or wait till 2018?

We just sold my wife's 2011 RT Limited. We are now in the market for a new one. Should we buy a 2017 or wait until 2018 models are out? BRP is offering right now the $2000 incentive for any 2017 model. But I wonder if that incentive for 2017 models will go up once the 2018 is announced?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you willing to wait and see what BRP has up their sleeves??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you willing to wait and see what BRP has up their sleeves??
    Bob, didn't you order a 2018 10th Anniversary Spyder? I don't recall seeing anything earth-shattering new on them in terms of performance or technology, but they did have an awesome paint scheme. It would seem if BRP had some real tricks up their sleeve, they would have surely put them on the 10th Anniversary Trike.

Based only on that assumption, I would take any Dealer Discount on the 2017, add in the BRP Rebate of $2,000, and get a pre-depreciated 2017 at a good price. If I would have waited about 6 weeks longer in buying my 2017, I could have gotten the $2,000 rebate, but I am not going to drive myself crazy thinking about "shoulda, woulda, coulda" stuff like that.

Spyder Garage

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Hard to say if BRP is hiding a card that they have not presented yet.

There is usually "one" something new each year. Since they have already committed to the 10th Anniversery gold/black in three versions--IMO--the card has been played this year.

I would find it hard to believe they have a new model, or engine that they have not already told us about. If they do--I would be one ticked off 10th Anniv. purchaser--which I am not.

Deals: I saw the $2,000 off on 2017's. That is a good deal--but remember--the actual price is what you end up paying--"out the door." I have mentioned all the pitfalls in several threads--so am not going to repeat again here. Giving the selling dealers a break--this time. As time progresses, that $2,000 will end up being sweetened.

Would I hold off: I am not buying this year (2017 or 2018). Could I wait four weeks for the announcement? Yes, I think so--just to be safe. When the new ones come out, there will still be deals. The is not a "hot" item and at this time, will not demand a premium added to the MSRP, will most likely not be sold at strict MSRP with a low trade in value for those wanting to jump in. I remember when the PT Cruiser, and the Dodge Caravan first came out. The dealers played the if you want it, you have to pay a premium on the MSRP. Not me. HD also did it when they introduced the Tri-Glide. I bought the Premier RT instead.

Time will tell...tick, tick, tick.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    Bob, didn't you order a 2018 10th Anniversary Spyder?
    Yes, I did...
    And I just heard from my Dealer that they have my old bike sold!
    I'm glad to know that it has a new home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could be wrong but I think the only new offering this year is the Gold and Black color option and while gorgeous I would never own a black vehicle of any kind. To hot and to hard to keep clean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the only new offering this year is the Gold and Black color option and while gorgeous I would never own a black vehicle of any kind. To hot and to hard to keep clean.

But black is the fastest color-------- Just ask my V-Max and regretfully sold ZX-11

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd wait. The incentives will just get higher after the 2018 release and there are plenty of '17's to be had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    If I would have waited about 6 weeks longer in buying my 2017, I could have gotten the $2,000 rebate, but I am not going to drive myself crazy thinking about "shoulda, woulda, coulda" stuff like that.
    I only had to wait two weeks. Where's my crystal ball?
    2017 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2K off the 2017 is good. BRP is still only offering 3.5k off the leftover 2016's If your willing to wait 6 to 9 months for 1.5k then you have more patients then me.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would wait. Typically the best deals will be in the month of September anyway. I bought my first spyder in September of 2014, and that was the cheapest price that I have ever seen on a similar vehicle. They never got any cheaper, even in December.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once they announce the 2018s: the dealers will have that much more reason to discount the leftovers...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know for a fact that dealer cost on a 2017 F3T is 20,700.00 so any discounts you see from this price will be a BRP discount.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I'd wait. The incentives will just get higher after the 2018 release and there are plenty of '17's to be had.
    Exactly! If you can wait it is a win-win situation. Either you're glad you waited because you like something about the 18's that the 17's didn't have. Or you're glad you waited because the deals on the 17's are even better than they were before the 18's came out. Kind of puts you (the buyer) in the driver's seat. Which doesn't happen very often with dealerships and vehicles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think BRP will come down more then 3.5k because the 2016 are still at that discount. But it depends on how long you want to wait and then you have to pick through the leftovers. One thing, you maybe able to pick up a demo for cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahh ha...!!

And she is thumbing her nose and sticking out her tongue at you saying " and I'll be out on the road before you"...

Yes, I did...
    And I just heard from my Dealer that they have my old bike sold!
    I'm glad to know that it has a new home.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Once they announce the 2018s: the dealers will have that much more reason to discount the leftovers...
    When those 2018 models start arriving at the dealers they have an even greater reason to move those pesky 2017 models sitting around. This is especially so when there isn't much, if any, change in models from one year to the next.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably some new 2016's still out there.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    And she is thumbing her nose and sticking out her tongue at you saying " and I'll be out on the road before you"...
    That's a GREAT bike: I'm happy to know that it's being ridden again.

Trade-In Day 007.jpg

This shot was taken on June 27th: the day that I traded it in.

Spyder Garage

You have to have a dealer like me. The only discounts they offer is what BRP gives. Even 2 year old models.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Kind of puts you (the buyer) in the driver's seat. Which doesn't happen very often with dealerships and vehicles.
    ​except you are in fact, NOT in the driver seat, which is where you should be right now, as we head into pleasant early fall weather. Not sure I would be waiting.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)