Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing short power cable between harness and headlight lamp

I recently bought a used 2014 RTL, which had an LED headlight kit installed. My right headlight went out this weekend so I pulled apart everything to replace the bulb.

Unfortunately, what I've discovered, is that the LED kit has some kind of proprietary bulb fixture that is hard-wired to the round harness connector instead of being able to disconnect from the bulb itself. So, now, I can't replace the failed bulb with anything other than the same brand UNLESS I can get one of the short adapter cables that came with the bike and are needed for Lamonster or TricLED headlight kits (or OEM for that matter). Apparently, whoever installed the after-market kit discarded that short cable. Anyone know what part # that is (I can't find it on the fiche) or how I might go about making an adapter? Thanks.

Cognac failed LED headlight-1.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would this work, do you think? I could splice it into the short piece of cable with the round connector after I cut it off the old LED bulb...

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Adapt...t+bulb+adapter

2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The connector should be pushed into the light. the picture you have shows just the led bulb and not the led driver. pull the cord out and you should find the rest of the connector. Look at this and you will see what I an talking about. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...1&GroupGuid=16

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bert-RFD View Post
    The connector should be pushed into the light. the picture you have shows just the led bulb and not the led driver. pull the cord out and you should find the rest of the connector. Look at this and you will see what I an talking about. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...1&GroupGuid=16
    Right you are. That's not the OEM cable though, because it has the LED driver in the cable. I guess I could just cut off the cable ends and splice them together. Thanks.

Cognac failed LED headlight-2.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what short cable do you need? Is it the flat two pin connector one end is male the other is female?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    what short cable do you need? Is it the flat two pin connector one end is male the other is female?
    It would be the small round 2-pin connector at one end and that barn-shaped headlamp bulb connector on the other end. Kinda like this (top one), only without the regulator in the middle and the female connector like the second pic, not the male;

Last edited by UtahPete; 08-22-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check with Zenon Depot, those look like their lights with those heat release band thingies.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That short cable does not exist on the factory installation. The cable plugs into the lamp. For the LED conversions the cable plugs into the power supply and then the power supply plugs into the lamp. If the LED lamp fails, you replace the lamp and its power supply as a pair.

There is no short cable with the flat connector on one end and round on the other and no power supply in it.

As Ann said, those look like Xenon Depot LEDs. You should contact them and see if they will replace it.

Otherwise you need a complete replacement LED for that bike and it will come with the required power supply module. Or install the incandescent lamp back in the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    That short cable does not exist on the factory installation. The cable plugs into the lamp. For the LED conversions the cable plugs into the power supply and then the power supply plugs into the lamp. If the LED lamp fails, you replace the lamp and its power supply as a pair. There is no short cable with the flat connector on one end and round on the other and no power supply in it. As Ann said, those look like Xenon Depot LEDs. You should contact them and see if they will replace it. Otherwise you need a complete replacement LED for that bike and it will come with the required power supply module. Or install the incandescent lamp back in the bike.
    Thanks. You and Ann (and others on this thread) have given me enough useful feedback on this topic now that I was able to go back into the install and figure it. As you both noted, I don't need the short cable after all.
    2014 RTL Platinum